Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any ideas?
    Approx 6ft tall - don’t remember it last year.......

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Another pic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its Leycestaria, Pheasant Berry.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Hi , can anyone identify this plant/weed please? Thanks

coathanger wrote: »
    Hi , can anyone identify this plant/weed please? Thanks

Looks like Buckwheat, Fagopyron esculentum. Not common at all in Ireland; what's your general location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Looks like Buckwheat, Fagopyron esculentum. Not common at all in Ireland; what's your general location?

Wexford, will try & get some better pics tomorrow if it ever stops raining 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone know the name of this plant? Looks ugly and grows unbelievably high, obscuring the tree behind it. I cut it back to its base only 6 weeks ago and it's growing fast again.

Trying to figure out if I need to treat it like a weed and eliminate it.

Ardent wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of this plant? Looks ugly and grows unbelievably high, obscuring the tree behind it. I cut it back to its base only 6 weeks ago and it's growing fast again.

Trying to figure out if I need to treat it like a weed and eliminate it.

Buddleia, yes very vigorous, if you're not happy with it growing rapidly, remove, it can grab a lot of space and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Buddleia, yes very vigorous, if you're not happy with it growing rapidly, remove, it can grab a lot of space and light.

Commonly called Butterfly bush. Great insect attractor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Can we post bug pics for identification here? I didn't want to start another thread.
    I found a load of these guys while digging the garden to plant a few trees. Can anyone tell me what the turn into, and whether they are pests?

V9GGbnj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Might be the larvae of chafer beetles?

Just read they can be a problem in lawns in eating grass roots. I have seen them when digging as well but never had them in enough numbers for them to be a problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They look a bit like like cicada nymphs and even more like cetonia (scarab) nymphs... but in Ireland? Odd...

Also, try posting it in the Nature and Bird Watching forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They've been in the garden for years, as I remember digging them up before. I'll try the Nature and Bird Watching forum as well.

I dug about half a square metre and found about ten of them.
    The lawn in question isn't great. A huge amount of moss in it.

Edit: Looking at that link, definitely looks like chafer beetles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Any ideas I know it’s not a flower ðŸ˜

Pic?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Effects wrote: »
    Can we post bug pics for identification here? I didn't want to start another thread.
    I found a load of these guys while digging the garden to plant a few trees. Can anyone tell me what the turn into, and whether they are pests?]

If it's as big as it looks I'd be thinking Cockchafer grub.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flintash

acacia or locust here? please tell me how i tell the difference

Neither, from what I can see.

Acacia (robinia pseudoacacia)/black locust has much softer leaves, arranged differently, and has "grapes" of white flowers similar to wisteria. It blooms in spring.

Here's a pic of black locust/ robinia pseudoacacia (commonly called acacia):

220px-Robina9146.JPG

• Advertisement

i know the flowers nowhere close, so what it is then? any ideas?

I can't think of the name, I don't think it's berberis or pyracantha but it''s one of those ubiquitous shrubs with orange berries, I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

flintash wrote: »
    i know the flowers nowhere close, so what it is then? any ideas?

Is it one of the spiraeas?

Maybe spiraea nipponica June bride?

The leaves look a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I think its a cotoneaster from the leaves but not sure of the berries.

i guess i wait for another time of the year, to see what the flowers looks like. by the way, its near 3 meters high, not a small shrub by any means

The way it grows is a bit like Coralberry/ Symphoricarpos but the flowers are nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The growth habit does look like cotoneaster. there are loads of varieties but those leaves and stems look like one of the varieties which grow against a wall. Roots will travel a distance. If kept trimmed it makes a nice enough shrub and is evergreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd be pretty sure it's Spiraea nipponica too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Any ideas? Its in my silage ground, mortone doesn't kill it anyway.

Advertisement