Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Re the previous plant, silly question, but... do those flowers actually belong to that plant, or is something else growing through it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Any ideas? Its in my silage ground, mortone doesn't kill it anyway.
    Dock? Red sorrel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Any ideas? Its in my silage ground, mortone doesn't kill it anyway.

Rose bay willow herb. 99% sure. They need hand weeding really but can be sprayed. They will produce 100 of seeds until mid autumn and can be very difficult to remove if you don't remove as much root as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

New Home wrote: »
    Re the previous plant, silly question, but... do those flowers actually belong to that plant, or is something else growing through it?

That actually could solve the problem Leaves and branches are cotoneaster, small and waxy, but the flowers don't seem to belong.
    There seems to be a lighter coloured leaf close to the flowers.

Not a Spirea, leaves too small and rounded.

Intruiging!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭standardg60

Akesh wrote: »
    Rose bay willow herb. 99% sure. They need hand weeding really but can be sprayed. They will produce 100 of seeds until mid autumn and can be very difficult to remove if you don't remove as much root as possible.

Agree, willow herb, pull if tall before they flower, glyphosate will knock them when young

• Advertisement

wildwillow wrote: »
    That actually could solve the problem Leaves and branches are cotoneaster, small and waxy, but the flowers don't seem to belong.
    There seems to be a lighter coloured leaf close to the flowers.

Not a Spirea, leaves too small and rounded.

Intruiging!

Spiraea nipponica has small rounded leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

flintash wrote: »
    acacia or locust here? please tell me how i tell the difference

Could it be a lemon myrtle ?

But I'd be more inclined to think it's a Spiraea nipponica too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Agree, willow herb, pull if tall before they flower, glyphosate will knock them when young

These dont flower, definitely not.

I think we need a clearer, close-up photo of both flowers and leaves, even separate pics.

These dont flower, definitely not.

Might be Amphibious Bistort, has two forms as name suggests, terrestrial form sometimes doesnt flower. Usually fairly damp ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Might be Amphibious Bistort, has two forms as name suggests, terrestrial form sometimes doesnt flower. Usually fairly damp ground.

I'll take some better photos tomorrow, id love to get rid of it tbh. It appears in early summer, grows right through until its cut in August, gets to about a foot high. No seeds or flowers visible.
    Also it seems to love the wetter parts of fields.
    I downloaded a weed identification app and it suggests some type of knotweed...

Edit.. Just Google imaged amphibious bistort and it looks identical minus the flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this....

plant4.jpg

Lobelia... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Houttuynia cordata chameleon.

Good ground cover and hardy. Spreads easily but not too difficult to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

love the rich colour it gives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

fryup wrote: »
    love the rich colour it gives
    And smells...

I'll take some better photos tomorrow, id love to get rid of it tbh. It appears in early summer, grows right through until its cut in August, gets to about a foot high. No seeds or flowers visible.
    Also it seems to love the wetter parts of fields.
    I downloaded a weed identification app and it suggests some type of knotweed...

Edit.. Just Google imaged amphibious bistort and it looks identical minus the flowers

I'll stick with Willowherb,being a silage field it's possible that you're cutting it before it reaches flowering height.
    Where there any recently flowering 3-4ft pink flowering plants in hedgerows etc that you could compare it with?
    Willowherb loves wet ground too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

I’m saving seeds from these at the moment but can’t remember name, anybody know name please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I’m saving seeds from these at the moment but can’t remember name, anybody know name please?

Looks like some kind of dianthus but that's a noobs guess.

• Advertisement

Astrantia major

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Astrantia major

Thank you, I’m pretty sure that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Any ideas I know it’s not a flower ðŸ˜

Wouldn’t post, I believe it’s coprinus lagopus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Would anybody know what this tree is? I inheritated the tree when I bought my house. Tried to identify if based on the shape of the leaf - some suggestions that it was an elm or holly (but it’s never produced berries, only leaves) but not sure. Thinking about planting an apple tree in its place but would like to know what it is before I go digging. Thanks in advance!

Ideo wrote: »
    Would anybody know what this tree is? I inheritated the tree when I bought my house. Tried to identify if based on the shape of the leaf - some suggestions that it was an elm or holly (but it’s never produced berries, only leaves) but not sure. Thinking about planting an apple tree in its place but would like to know what it is before I go digging. Thanks in advance!

Some form of Prunus, probably a sucker or rootstock growth from a previously planted cherry or plum. Fine to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Some form of Prunus, probably a sucker or rootstock growth from a previously planted cherry or plum. Fine to remove it.

That’s very helpful. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

What is this and who planted it?

What is this and who planted it?

Could be a Kiwi. If you use homemade compost, it could have come from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Could be a Kiwi. If you use homemade compost, it could have come from this.

Thanks. My 'Picture This' plant ID app suggested Kiwi but I wasn't sure. Might be worth looking after it, if not for fruit maybe for decoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 beamoflight

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the name of this plant?

525305.jpg

Advertisement