Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Hi folks

Can someone help me identify the purple flowering plant in the attached? With the sort of quad-type green leaves. Probably common enough, I took this picture in co. Clare?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi folks

Can someone help me identify the purple flowering plant in the attached? With the sort of quad-type green leaves. Probably common enough, I took this picture in co. Clare?

Thanks

Is it a hebe?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

macraignil wrote: »
    Is it a hebe?

Very similar based on a quick image search. I shall do some more research. Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Very similar based on a quick image search. I shall do some more research. Thank you very much

It's definitely a hebe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's pretty distinct.

37AMK.jpg

37AMJ.jpg

• Advertisement

It's pretty distinct.

QUOTE]

Is it a Photinia red robin?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Hi, could anyone identify this tree - and if it looks healthy or not? It doesn't look like it did much growing over the summer months.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The peeling trunk makes me think of a birch, but the leaves, even taking into account the state they're in, don't. It could be diseased, but it could also simply have been scorched by the weather. As for the growth, a lot of trees don't shoot up that quickly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I was thinking possibly a paperbark maple - the trunk seems to look like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,478 ✭✭✭✭looksee

thejaguar wrote: »

The leaf would be a better match, though I agree the peeling bark is reminiscent of birch, possibly because it is a younger tree and has smaller branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Any ideas?

tree.jpg

Any ideas?

Is it a type of spindle(Euonymus species)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Yea I think you're correct Possibly euonymus hamiltonianus. Hardy and attractive for birds.

Yes, it's a Paper Bark Maple. I think it's fine; probably taking its time to get into its stride. They are really gorgeous trees when they mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi, could anyone identify this tree - and if it looks healthy or not? It doesn't look like it did much growing over the summer months.

Definitely a cherry of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

rje66 wrote: »
    Definitely a cherry of some sort

No, it's a paper bark maple as already identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Can someone tell me what this is? Growing wild in nearby laneway. Berries look v like blueberries

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bilberry, by the looks of it. But the berries should be way smaller than a blueberry. Crush a berry, if it smells like blueberry but more intense and it has red/blue juice, I'd be more confident.

Actually, no, it's not. I've just opened the last two pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Could be Box leaf honeysuckle . And bind weed:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is it not a sloe?

Anyway, id for this plant please. There's a few of them on our laneway.

IMG-20201021-132920.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Is it not a sloe?

Anyway, id for this plant please. There's a few of them on our laneway.

IMG-20201021-132920.jpg

Possibly Viburnum opulus

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what this is? Growing wild in nearby laneway. Berries look v like blueberries

Sloe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,478 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The blue fruit are sloes (the first pic has additional leaves that are confusing the identification a bit), the red fruit are Guelder Rose / Viburnum Opulus, as TAZ32 has said, lovely hedgerow shrub.

Holy Diver wrote: »

Looks like you took a nibble too.
    Astringent is the word for the effect the have, that drying out of your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

New Home wrote: »
    Bilberry, by the looks of it. But the berries should be way smaller than a blueberry. Crush a berry, if it smells like blueberry but more intense and it has red/blue juice, I'd be more confident.

Sloe?

looksee wrote: »
    The blue fruit are sloes (the first pic has additional leaves that are confusing the identification a bit), the red fruit are Guelder Rose / Viburnum Opulus, as TAZ32 has said, lovely hedgerow shrub.

I think reckless abandon got the ID right there with the additional bind weed leaves in the first pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Sloe Time to make some sloe gin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Hi, was wondering would anyone know the name of the shrub in the attached ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Euonymus, possibly fortunei , good as coastal hedge

Advertisement