Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

twinex wrote: »
    My neighbour has a red robin hedge and I saw the similarities between them but mine has definitely a lighter, more faded set of leaves on it. The bumblees love crawling through the white blossoms, which I love to see. I'd love to grow more.

Is it too early to take cuttings?

Fairly sure yours is Photinia davidiana 'Palette', aka Stransvaesia (at least to me anyway as the name was changed after i learned it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

What kind of grass is this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This, perhaps? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elymus_repens aka scutch grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

^^^^

Total guess which might help someone make a better guess

Dactylis glomerata - which has loads of common names including Cat Grass, Cocksfoot Sparta and orchard grass.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Hey folks, could anyone identify this please? Could it be a Honeysuckle? It has sort of grew to this size out of nowhere in a place I thought nothing could grow, very little sun and soil stays quite damp. Thanks for you help.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

First thought is Leycesteria formosa, Himalayan honeysuckle, pheasant berry. Shrubby upright stick type plant. Not sure about the cut leaves on the tallest stem but otherwise looks right.

Edit growing conditions would be about right for many of the ones I've seen growing in damp woodland.

And there is an ash tree seedling growing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

^^^^^^^^^^^

First thought is Leycesteria formosa, Himalayan honeysuckle, pheasant berry. Shrubby upright stick type plant. Not sure about the cut leaves on the tallest stem but otherwise looks right.

Edit growing conditions would be about right for many of the ones I've seen growing in damp woodland.

And there is an ash tree seedling growing in there.

Thanks Continental, this is growing next to it, presume it’s the same? Should I remove the ash tree or can both live together in the same pot? Obviously there won’t be an big ash tree growing out of it :)

Looks at first glance like another ash tree. You really don't want ash tree's growing in your pots they are a weed species in the garden even though we are losing them in the countryside they are suffering from ash dieback.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what flower is this?...

flower2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭lucalux

fryup wrote: »
    what flower is this?...

flower2.jpg

A type of Speedwell, Field Speedwell maybe?
    Check on here for more info maybe: (I find it good for identifying by colour/plants in flower now etc)

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=247&wildflower=Field-speedwell,%20Common

Lovely flowers

• Advertisement

i read somewhere "it usually appears on disturbed or cultivated ground" and that's exactly where it appears in my garden...i wonder why though? i thought disturbed ground would be the last place to attract growth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Probably dormant seeds and grew when ground was disturbed.

i read somewhere "it usually appears on disturbed or cultivated ground" and that's exactly where it appears in my garden...i wonder why though? i thought disturbed ground would be the last place to attract growth?

I would say Germander Speedwell, Common Field Speedwell has a whitish lowest petal. Germander is more of a plant of longish grass, hedgerow, woodland, but very, very common.

Common FS is a plant of disturbed habitats alright. These plants tend to have long persisting and large soil seed banks. Take advantage of disturbance and hence lack of immediate competition to complete their rapid life cycles, setting more seed. Most Irish species of this type are non-native, eg Charlock, Common Poppy, Red Deadnettle, and arrived here with early agriculture. Probably rarish in pre agricultural days and grew after events like landslides, fires, but with soil disturbance being a part of agriculture, these are now global and abundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Love reading your posts, blaris, you are so well informed.

yes, the germander looks more like my one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

any idea on what these are assume they are some sort of weed's theres 4 or 5 patches of them around the lawn

https://imgur.com/a/Uqj1Dxd

I'd go with Ox-eyed Daisy - Leucanthemum vulgare?

My wife likes me to mow around them :P

But I do leave them to seed in the rougher areas of grass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

You know the way you get to know the weeds that arrive in your garden every year? After 20 years of gardening here, these plants have suddenly made an appearance. Can anyone identify them? They look very like foxgloves, but is it not odd that out of nowhere I would suddenly get half a dozen of these spread around a flowerbed? I have never grown them, but if they are foxgloves, I'd be glad to have them, just not at the front of the flowerbed. Do you think they would survive if I try to transplant them?

They are foxgloves :D

To be brutally honest best left where they are to flower.

Put up with them this year or until they flower (bianuals) and when the seed heads start to dry out and shed seed and then cut the seed heads and shake them around at the back of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I think the smaller foxgloves will move well if you keep them watered until they're established. I shunt them round the place if they're coming somewhere unhelpful, and although I lose a few, there are usually plenty of them anyway. If the root of the biggest one can't be disentangled from the stones you could leave it where it is, but shake the seeds into places they'll be more welcome in future.

Places selling trays of biennials will be offering foxglove plants just that
    size right about now - mother nature has done the nursery work for you - take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Foxgloves are probably the most prolific slelfseeders i have in my garden.(other than a bugger of a massive sycamore i have) I've a love hate relationship with them. But the flowers are fab..

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Thanks for the responses, If I had foxgloves already I wouldn't be surprised at a bunch of self-seeded plants sprouting, but starting from zero and ending up with half a dozen just seemed odd. I might try transplanting some of them and leaving others. I don't want to appear ungrateful for Mother Nature's bounty!

Thanks for the responses, If I had foxgloves already I wouldn't be surprised at a bunch of self-seeded plants sprouting, but starting from zero and ending up with half a dozen just seemed odd. I might try transplanting some of them and leaving others. I don't want to appear ungrateful for Mother Nature's bounty!

Not that odd. We had a quarry near us that had never seen a foxglove suddenly burst out with them.

what be this...

plant5.jpg

what be this...

plant5.jpg

Smooth Sow-thistle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like there should be an online source for identifying this plant other than asking you generous folks.
    Saw this near Feohanach beach in West Kerry. Unfortunately there's Japanese knotweed spreading around it, so I wouldn't dare bring any of this home.

Purple-Flowers-Near-Maire.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seems like there should be an online source for identifying this plant other than asking you generous folks.
    Saw this near Feohanach beach in West Kerry. Unfortunately there's Japanese knotweed spreading around it, so I wouldn't dare bring any of this home.
    I use a phone app called Plantnet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you're talking about the flowers, they's hyacinthoides no-scripta, aka bluebells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Very like doc plant but spiny stem

• Advertisement

Advertisement