Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not plucked from the wild I hope.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Can anyone please help identifying this stuff? Sprouting up all over the garden, esp boundaries of driveway despite weed killer being used.

Looks like Willow Herb thats been partly hit by Roundup? Although you might have got all the Willow Herb and thats a bit of Fat Hen comming up to keep it company?

Edit> This looks similar https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/996098/mystery-weed-what-is-it

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thanks for that. Looks like the culprit alright. It starts off red and turns green. Literally all over the garden and seems like a new tenant, didnt see it last year....will follow the advice from the link.

Willow herb seeds come in on the wind if there is any growing locally then it will soon end up growing in any area in your garden if not checked. When small its not difficult just to pull up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I remember a friend of mine bring my wife a bunch of flowers from here garden.. lovely idea. But she went to the fields next to her home and picked a load of willow herb to add to it. I come home and willow herb seed are flying all over the house.. :)

Anyone got any idea how many seeds a single willow herb plant can produce? I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No idea how many, but if you can get past the 'heap of fluff' look of the seed heads the individual pods as they open are strikingly pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This grass (in the foreground) keeps turning up in my garden and I've no idea what it is or how to get rid of it. It is everywhere. Any ideas on its variety?

• Advertisement

Its hard to see what the scale is there, how tall is it? It almost looks like phormium there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Luzula possibly, it seeds everywhere once it gets going.

Easy enough to pull up

I have a lot of woodrush (above) it grows well along our river bank. A quick strim occasionally keeps it well down and probably controls its spread.

Anway I'm not totally convinced the picture is of Luzula sylvatica? Does the seed head belong to the grass?

OK so going by the seed head I knew I'd seen that before but couldn't put a name to it so after much thought and googling while having a cup of tea and a rest from strimming I'm Going for Carex pendula found a load of photos here.

That looks exactly like it. Thanks for putting a name to it. Now to find a way to control it. I whack it regularly with the strimmer but it grows back fast.

Oh heavens, I had a relatively mild attack of that and ended up physically digging it out - it infested a border. Didn't know what it was called at the time.

100% strim it or cut with good shears. Then spray regrowth with glyphosate based weed killer. Definitely don't let it flower.

Good surfing there Op, didn't spot that seedhead

• Advertisement

Sometimes it just nags you that you know a plant and can't put a name to it. I was getting ready to dig out my books to look it up.

Where I knew it from was a 1/3 acre pond I dug about 25 years ago. I didn't do any of the planting but when I visited a few years later Carex pendula had been planted one of the marginals to reinforce the banks. It was that pendulus seed head I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what plant, shrub or tree does this seed come from??

Nearest thing I can think of is marigold but I would not be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi, just moved into a new house and my malteese has been sick ever since with vomiting and diarrhoea. Previous owner said it could be the mushrooms in the garden. Could anyone tell me the name of these mushrooms? Another vet appointment today!!

Thanks

I hope we have a mycologist here but in the meantime I'm going to take a wild guess at Inocybe geophylla

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Need help identifying the grass weed . I have these tufts in a few places in the lawn now .

Would removing with a knife and then seeding the areas around be sufficient or so I need some other treatment .

Couch grass or skutch grass as its called here.

Scutch is always with us. You could lift the clumps but you will certainly leave a bit of runner which will promptly make another plant. This is not a practical approach. On the other hand if you don't remove it it will take over more and more of your lawn. The experts say kill off the entire lawn totally and start again, this is no guarantee you will not get scutch again. Or you could try spot treating it - every month to six weeks for the entire summer - glyphosphate weedkiller will get down into the roots and has the best chance of dealing with it. Be extremely careful with it, it will kill anything else it comes in contact with.

Or you could just live with it.

Glyphosate and wallpaper paste can make a good "slish" that can be carefully applied with a brush to scutch and other difficult weeds, just be careful and think out how any rain will redistribute it before you apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Top one looks to me like a liberty cap but not sure about the others. I don't know how long you have been at your new garden but mushrooms tend to be seasonal so I'm not sure if they would be the cause if your issue with your malteese has been long lasting. There are lots of other potential causes for those symptoms.

Advertisement