Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Granite Head

Can you help with this plant. I have three of them in a shaded area, two of them look dead and this one is struggling.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Friend of the wife has these in her yard, calls them 'echeya?' Anyone know anything about it? Gave us a seedling, seems like it spreads pretty well. Very attractive plant gets quite large. Thanks

wu0841.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Igotadose wrote: »
    Friend of the wife has these in her yard, calls them 'echeya?' Anyone know anything about it? Gave us a seedling, seems like it spreads pretty well. Very attractive plant gets quite large. Thanks

wu0841.jpg

Echium. Day of the Triffids territory there. I think butterflies and bees go nuts for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Roen wrote: »
    Echium. Day of the Triffids territory there. I think butterflies and bees go nuts for them.

They were in the friend's yard. Said yard was on the ocean, though well protected with walls and shrubs. And the echium were all over. One site said it couldn't stand temps below 5c, well, we get that cold out here, so apparently the plants haven't gotten that message.

Soon as they pull up roots and start moving we'll know its seriously triffid.;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what this is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is it a small beech tree?

macraignil wrote: »
    Is it a small beech tree?

I'm hoping! As long as it's not knotweed!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, it's not knotweed, but it looks more like a birch to me.

New Home wrote: »
    No, it's not knotweed, but it looks more like a birch to me.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Looks like poppy and crocosmia.
    Potentially wrong on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Darando

Roen wrote: »
    Looks like poppy and crocosmia.
    Potentially wrong on both.

Messed up an edit! Here they are again:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone help identify these 2 badboys?

Not sure if they are weeds or not. They appeared in our rockery area this year and we aren't sure if we planted them or not!

For that reason I suspect they are weeds.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDWG7DD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭standardg60

Darando wrote: »
    Messed up an edit! Here they are again:

Poppy and gladioli by the looks of it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone help identify these 2 badboys?

Not sure if they are weeds or not. They appeared in our rockery area this year and we aren't sure if we planted them or not!

For that reason I suspect they are weeds.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDWG7DD

Not weeds, achillea (though it spreads like one) and phlox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread has grown like Galium aparine, speaking of which (yes I'm here for a reason!) the area I cleared over the winter has been invaded by this annoying cleaver grass, beyond pulling it out (its in a no mowing area of the garden) is there anything I can do, it starting to choke other plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This thread has grown like Galium aparine, speaking of which (yes I'm here for a reason!) the area I cleared over the winter has been invaded by this annoying cleaver grass, beyond pulling it out (its in a no mowing area of the garden) is there anything I can do, it starting to choke other plants.

What is it growing among?

Not really, but it is very easily (and quite satisfyingly) pulled out, or just sever the tiny base stem and let it die off. Important to clear it before it sets seed or it will be worse next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

The blue flower looks like monkshood to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, aconite, looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Hi all
    Hoping someone here can identify this tiny weed please? It's spreading on the driveway and I want to keep it. The flowers are only about 5mm across and the leaves are very similar to clover. The 50mm screw is for scale! Thanks.DSC_0427.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That appears to be Black Medick.

Naff moment - this is one of the wildflowers I remember thanks to the 'Flower Fairy' books I had when I was about 7.

'Why are we called black, sister, when we've yellow flowers?
    I will tell you why brother, see these seeds of ours?
    Very soon each tiny seed will be turning black indeed!'

Yes, Black Medick, just about make out the point at the leaf tip. Well worth keeping too, flowers for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Does anyone know what this is? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this is? Thanks

It looks like Sagina subulata. The flowers are white in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Thanks, its popping up all over my rockery

I think it's more likely Procumbent Pearlwort, Sagina procumbens, very common, no petals.

S. subulata is an uncommon species in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

I think it's more likely Procumbent Pearlwort, Sagina procumbens, very common, no petals.

S. subulata is an uncommon species in Ireland.

Yeah, it's a little wispy looking for S. subulata. S. procumbens looks like a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

I'm rejuvenating a tired garden with overgrown flower beds. Instead of purchasing all new plants, I'm trying to rescue some that are already there. So Im trying to work out what these flowers are.

2 pics of same plant

https://flic.kr/p/2g8vJRi
    https://flic.kr/p/2g8vJS5

Not sure if this is a flower or weed?
    https://flic.kr/p/2g8vxSm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Cody OHare wrote: »
    I'm rejuvenating a tired garden with overgrown flower beds. Instead of purchasing all new plants, I'm trying to rescue some that are already there. So Im trying to work out what these flowers are.

2 pics of same plant

https://flic.kr/p/2g8vJRi
    https://flic.kr/p/2g8vJS5

Not sure if this is a flower or weed?
    https://flic.kr/p/2g8vxSm

Plant is a sisyrinchium.

Second one is a weed afaik - can't remember what it is - and could be wrong!

Advertisement