Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Ellejay, that plant is campanula, probably Ann Luddon. Iv'e got one flowering right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Anyone know what this is??? I had two but one died and want to buy another

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its salix something or other I'll look it up.

Edit> Salix Hakuru Nishiki

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Just wondering if anyone can identify this plant/weed. Thanks

This is Malva sylvestris, Common Mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Thank you. I didn't plant it. Must have seeded itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Do you mean 100 ml of neat roundup or mixed with water?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Sorry I meant to quote The Continental Op's instructions a page or two back about the homemade wallpaper paste roundup gel mix, that's what I was referring to.

I use a 5:1 mix, water : glyphosate. Firstly I say glyphosate as Roundup, Gallup etc are nearly all the same when it comes to the glyphosate content. Glambia will still sell Roundup to the general public but not bigger than 2 liters. Secondly that is a very strong mix which I used to use on tiny bits of Japanese Knotweed that came up around the place - it worked on the Japanese Knotweed. I also use it with good effect on bindweed and docks. Over the years the amount of glyphosate crept up in the mix to deal with the Japanese Knotweed so I suspect I'm over doing it.

The normal strong knapsack mix for glyphosate is 40:1 (25ml glyphosate in a liter of water, technically thats the highest 5 liters per hectare rate) so you can see 5:1 is very strong. You could easily cut it down to 20:1. So 50ml of glyphosate in 500ml water. Don't forget you aren't painting the hole plant in the same way you'd spay the whole plant. With waist high bindweed I like to get the growing point and 3 full grown leaves with a dab from a 1 inch paint brush which I have found works well.

The glyphosate I'm referring too is the formulation that is fairly standard and has 360g/L glyphosate per liter, Gallup 360, Roundup Pro Active, etc. It always says how much active ingredient on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Owing to my confused lifestyle (moving house twice in two years three years ago) I found I had a large sprayer of commercially premixed roundup that must be 4 years old, maybe more, I don't use it very often, so I tried it on a path that had grown a fair crop of rather sad weeds. It zapped them! I don't know what the shelf life for premix is supposed to be, but its longer than I would have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Anyone know what this is. Plant app says tomato but I don't remember planting any.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Definitely tomato. There may have been seeds in the compost. If you want to be sure, rub the leaves, the scent is a definite give-away.

I'm not suggesting anyone is taking a dump in your garden but its well know that tomato seeds pass through the human gut unchanged and are still perfectly viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ah ok it makes sense now, it was me that planted it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Tomatoes will very often self seed from a compost heap if you compost vegetable waste from the kitchen. I find them in odd parts of the garden and often get a few tomatoes. I pull them out if they are interfering with cherished plants.

Still a relict population of tomatoes on beaches/shingle around Claddagh and Renmore in Galway from the few unconnected drains in the city centre. Previously enormous quantities. I have seen Fennel around there too, so perhaps that propagates similarly.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, that reminds me about 2 years back our local stony beach came up with a lot of tomatoes. A river runs down through the beach and at the time where the seeds came from didn't occur to me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Hi,

Can you help me to identify this weed? It seems to have spawned out of what I emptied out of my compost bin.

I never had this before and the contents of the bin haven't changed much so it is an odd one.

Pic attached.

Mellon or marrow might even be a gourd of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah, looks like courgette to me. Wish mine would come up via compost. This has been a lousy year for courgettes in my vegetable patch.

Those seedlings could be almost any member of the marrow family. OP just needs to think back to what they get in the shopping. I mentioned gourd as they get used as Christmas decorations then throw out. Another possible is squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was wondering would you get viable seed from a thrown out cucumber or courgette. Meanwhile I have a massive potato growing out of the side of my compost bin. Not sure I fancy it!

What often happens in our veg patch is that courgettes at the end of the season become massive marrows which end up on the compost heap and all those seeds are definitely viable.

I'd love to spray off the spuds growing in our compost bin but my wife won't let me :-( They came originally from peelings. You will get a really good crop out of your compost heap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had thought they just looked like cotyledon leaves, so hard to identify? my first impression was i've seen beans look similar on first sprouting i think; and possibly sunflowers too?

Did you look at the scale next to the beech(?) leaves in the compost? My response was just "gut" feeling and the leaf veins in the second picture sort of added to it. I've also seen marrow seeds come up in our compost for the reason I said above and they look very similar. I think what happens sometimes is the seeds survive even in really good compost because mice make a little food stores of them around the edge of the compost heap. Would be good if the OP grew them on a bit so we can see what develops.

I never though of sunflowers and they are another logical possibility as the big seed heads could easily end up on the compost heap at the end of the year.

Looking at the all the pictures again I'm still thinking courgette/marrow because of the veins on some of the leaves and what looks like hairiness on the true leaves as they emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

having tasted potatoes from a compost bin... I'd agree. Yuck!

Advertisement