Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why would they taste any different? I used to grow them in seaweed they were perfectly OK as are the ones off the compost heap.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No idea, but it was the worst tasting potato I'd ever had. Probably because of the random swill I put into the composter. Doesn't seem to affect the other vegetables I raise on the compost though. Just plain nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Can someone please tell me if the flowery weed here is scarlet pimpernel? (Ignore the thistles).

Also, I'm in two minds whether to let it just take over this border between our lawn (lawn has everything growing in it so not too fussed if it gets in there) and driveway. I like the flower colours and it's a bit of a job trying to pull it out by hand and I don't really want to kill it with weedkiller but will if I have to.

Dumb question but what will happen if I just let it be? And if I let it be, would it prevent other (less attractive) weeds from growing? Thanks

Looks like it to me but I've never seen much of it so wouldn't be 100%. What I am sure of is that to the middle left of the picture you have a nice healthy ragwort plant ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Haha thanks. The ragwort is getting pulled this evening :)

• Advertisement

Look carefully there is another much smaller one in the picture, middle bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes it looks like Scarlet Pimpernel. I tend to let it be unless its in a flower bed. It can be a bit rampant but if its just in an area where you don't mind what grows then leave it be.

Yes, Scarlet Pimpernel, aka Poor Man's Weather Glass, opens more fully the sunnier it is. There is a rare variant which is blue; same species, just a genetic quirk.

A great idea to leave it alone, it will not do any harm, tends not to make it into lawns, rather, more disturbed, bareish areas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"They seek him here, they seek him there..." 😁 Lllloved the movies AND the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what's this growing amongst my lawn in patches...never seen it before why now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Self-heal, (Prunella vulgaris) pretty little plant which insects love. Definitely a nuisance weed if you want an immaculate lawn, but if you are happy with the clover/buttercup/daisy/selfheal etc mix, which makes a lovely 'lawn' in my opinion, then leave it be.

Not sure 'why now?' - this seems to have been a good year for it, I have more than in previous years. It prefers moist soil so maybe the spring suited it.

i put plenty of lawnfeed (mobacter) on at the beginning of the season - would that have been a contributing factor?

I'd always put a lot of self-heal down to poor growing conditions. I have really rubbish areas of the garden where the lawn only has a few inches of topsoil and they are full of self-heal. Self-heal seems to do better than the grass when their is competition for water. Its easy to kill it with lawn weed killer but not so easy to sort out the reasons for its prevalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not at all. Mobactor does nothing either way for weeds. There's plenty of clover there too. It's difficult to get rid of if it takes a hold. While it tolerates dry spells it's prefers damp ground. It just got going with the damp spring and early summer on soil with no chemical treatment. Personally I'd get rid of it as it can take over very easily if the conditions suit it.

right so, what's the best way to get rid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Wife thinks it’s a flower , I think it horseweed , any ideas

Can't say I recognise it but Horseweed is as good as any from your picture. I did check if it grows here and it does, https://plantatlas.brc.ac.uk/plant/conyza-canadensis & https://maps.biodiversityireland.ie/Species/40744

This has some good info https://www.ediblewildfood.com/horseweed.aspx and pictures.

Horseweed would be Conyza canadensis but there is also another one Conyza sumatrensis which is very very similar

Its one I'd try and get rid of as it is reported to be what they call allelopathic - where it grows little else grows.

It depends on how much there is and how much effort you're willing to put in. Personally I have time to weed it by hand, but you must get all the root out. You can use a lawn weed killer if you wish, but it will take clover etc as well.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

Certainly is a flower, Conyza, either floribunda or canadensis, both relatively recent additions to the Irish flora. Probably the most common herbaceous plants on derelict/building sites around Dublin, getting that way elsewhere too. You can try to get rid, but it seeds prolifically, even lifting it out will dislodge and spread seed. Needs little but bare rock to grow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Thanks Blaris really appreciate that ,wife is cleaning up a bit of rough ground near the house , has a few rowan trees , some bird cherry trees and lots of bee, butterfly, bird friendly plants there ,if it flowers and helps the above .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Should, the other is burn down weedkillers. Horticultural vinegar is one but I would not know where to get it.

Ideal for effective control of broad leaved weeds including dandelions, daisies, white clover, yarrow, buttercups, self heal, deadnettle, speedwell and broad-leaved docks in lawns

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Resolva-Killer-Extra-Ready-Litre/dp/B00PLYYR8G

and after i spray how long should i wait before i mow the lawn?😶

Ideally let the grass grow a bit before you spray and then leave it 4 days before you cut again. So say cut 4 days growth spray wait 4 days before cutting again. However if when you cut you are hardly cutting the self heal then miss out the first bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Am I right in saying this is either couch grass or rye-grass?

It's well scattered around the grass patch and I wouldn't mind leaving it be only it seems to be limiting the growth around where it's growing.

Have started pinching out as much as possible as in the photo and seems to be helping but open to any other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

A long white sideways growing underground stem would be characteristic of couch grass which I think can be a good candidate for ripping out regularly as when it gets established it can be very difficult to deal with as it can regrow from each bit of that underground stem system that allows it spread so well.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah, the image doesn't look like couch grass to me, and I spend my days yanking that stuff in vegetable beds. I think it's just ryegrass. Couch grass leaves are usually broad-ish on the grass scale, not as fine as the stuff one wants to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

Looks like couch (scutch) grass to me.

Advertisement