Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

This seems to have sprung up amongst the seeds I've been growing. I feel it's a weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

lobelia I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I have two of them growing. The only seed packets I used were rudbeckia and Delphinium though.

Maybe they snuck in…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

They can self seed.. I've had a few pop up over the years..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone identify this plant that has appeared in my seeded veg bed?

It doesn't conform to any of the photos of plants whose seeds I sowed. But maybe it snuck in with the compost... 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Radish would be my first thought.

You didn't sow them deliberately? Old gardening trick of not loosing the line of where you have sown much slower germinating seed so you can hoe to keep weeds down.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone know what this is? I planted chamomile seeds there a while back but I think they didn't grow and this is just a weed - want to confirm before I pull it out and start again

Google tells me its Scottish Moss - Sagina subulata

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its rather pretty/interesting, though I am pretty sure I have seen it around, do you have a wild bit of garden you could pop it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah, I've a fairly wild garden anyway so I just stuck it down in a corner I've cleared

• Advertisement

Its fairly boring, it wasn't till I looked it up that I realised it was a weed I'd been pulling out for years. I think it will grow just about anywhere but needs slightly damp shade to do its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Could anyone help me identify what the big tall guys are? They are easily 6ft in height. Google Lens doesnt tell me anything

I think its Common Sorrel, very similar to (I think a member of the same family) dock.

Love the meadow, I envy you the daisies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Not sure sorrel grows so stiff and tall. Leaves look similar alright. Thought it was teasel by the leaves but top is all wrong. I’d wait to see if a flower develops and please do post it here if it happens. Can’t even pinpoint a similar garden plant which may have selfseeded.

Did you use a seed mixture for the meadow.

I’m intrigued.

Google tells me there is a taller sorrel the Patience Dock, Rumex patientia, it seems to have taller flower heads than other Sorrels.

Its a plant you can buy seed for so it could have been supplied for a seed mix?

But if you check pictures of the flower stems on line of the usually shorter (3ft) Common Sorrel, Rumex acetosa you'll see they are very similar if not identical.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wood sorrel can get very tall indeed, in the right conditions.

Ye are all leaning on the Sorrel / Dock anyway, that will certainly give me an idea. I was wondering would it flower or I was going to chop it level with the Ox-Eye Daises. I think ill leave it now to see what develops. Some of them are actually taller than me and im 6'1"!

You should get tiny red flowers that you could easily miss followed by seeds that have a red colour to them. Nothing spectacular but if you like them in the sward along with the daisies then best let them go to seed before cutting.

Entirely up to you, but I would leave it, the reddish tinge from the seeds and the bit of height is attractive.

Found a pic from a couple of weeks ago before they got massive. You can get a closer look at the leaves in my sons right hand. They wind around the stem tightly enough

• Advertisement

That's a really gorgeous meadow!

Yep thats what sorrel leaves look like ;-) but which sorrel? I suspect you have a little tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fertility in the soil hence the height and growth on everything in the picture, don't let your son stand there to long :-)

Yeah, it was rocky/stone ground but the soil that was there was a good colour. Did me all I could do to keep the grass off it. Thanks for the help. Ill keep an eye over the next couple of weeks and see what emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Really love the mix especially the clover. Please let the sorrel flower as it should add more red and at a height. Don’t let it all go to seed maybe.

@Tefral there is a lot of interest in wildflower meadows, maybe you could give us an idea of how you went about yours? How long is it there? When was it sown? What did you do to the area before sowing?

It will not suit everyone's circumstances, it would not suit my garden as, of the flowers I see, only sorrel grows naturally with any enthusiasm, and even then it is not prolific. Still it would be interesting to get the background.

If a mod sees this maybe the last few posts could be made into a Wildflower Meadow thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah agree with that, that post is exactly what Im looking for for my gardens this year and the coming years, would love to know how you went about it, heres my Wildflower meadow thread if its off topic here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058298303/wildflower-meadow-attempt/p1

If its OK with everyone ill go through it in Thargors thread?

Thanks to everyone for helping me ID the plant

Great, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Anyone know what this is ?,sprouted up in a fushcia ,think it has a vague curry like aroma or else someone local was just cooking their curry dinner :P !

• Advertisement

Its a St. John's Wort. Bit of a weed unless you actually want it as it is pretty, but it will seed everywhere.

Aka Hypericum.

Advertisement