Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Shaunoc wrote: »
    we have tormented it in the past few years with heavy machinery and earthworks.
    gets early and late sun directly and must be getting enough throught the Ash canopy which is not that thick.
    I think i'll leave well enough alone as it came good and looks impressive enough for now. not sure if it would/could continue flowering for much of summer...

It might lean a little out towards the sun, and you may need to stake it if it does, but it should bloom for a few weeks. It likes dappled sunlight, I just think it's a little close to the trunk.

It can grow quite tall, over six foot from what I recall, and has a very heavy scent.

I haven't seen one in the flesh for years, just going on memories of my grandfather's garden. So, I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Hi knowledgeable folk.
    Pretty sure a sycamore/ maple is after planting itself in my garden.
    Am I right?

Should I remove it or can it live and grow outside the house without much danger/ hassle to the family?

Front garden is about 10 metres X 20 metres.

Appreciate any advice.

2f051km.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Looks like it alright. I'm not certain, but I think it looks a bit like a plane tree, too (platanus acerifolia, maybe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Good spot. Could be.
    I'm wondering if I should move it somewhere better since it decided to live here or remove it if it will damage things like the road or pipes or the house.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh, definitely move it, possibly in the middle of a field - they are both rather big trees, once they're fully mature (I don't know how big their root system is, though).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It will make a mockery of that wall when it gets big. Move /kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi knowledgeable folk.
    Pretty sure a sycamore/ maple is after planting itself in my garden.
    Am I right?

Should I remove it or can it live and grow outside the house without much danger/ hassle to the family?

Front garden is about 10 metres X 20 metres.

Appreciate any advice.
    ]

A rosebush in a cornfield is a weed.
    This tree is in the wrong place, as others have said, if you can, move it, if you don't have a suitable location either gift it to someone else or just remove it.

Just wondering what this is thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no image included.

Sorry. Was on the phone and didn't think the text would post when it said the image was too big. Here it is

• Advertisement

Sorry. Was on the phone and didn't think the text would post when it said the image was too big. Here it is
    This looks like Corncockle, very common in "wildflower" seed mixes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's lychnis coronaria, lovely little plant.

It's lychnis coronaria, lovely little plant.
    That's more like it, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Can someone please tell me what this is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Celery?

looksee wrote: »
    Celery?

I don't know tbh , although it isn't "stalky " like celery if you get what I mean ?
    Am trying to clear out an overgrown flowerbed , and was unsure if it was a weed or a plant .
    Will try get a better pic tomorrow .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No picture I'm afraid but trying to figure out what plant I had years ago

It was quite woody with long thin branches that were a vivid red and it flowered very early in the year.

Could it be a form of cystitis/broom?

Most likely plant for red stems is dogwood, there may be others.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I don't know tbh , although it isn't "stalky " like celery if you get what I mean ?
    Am trying to clear out an overgrown flowerbed , and was unsure if it was a weed or a plant .
    Will try get a better pic tomorrow .

It could quite easily be something else, but when celery grows 'wild' - unblanched - it tends to be bushy. Break a stem, does it smell of celery?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Most likely plant for red stems is dogwood, there may be others.

That was it. Thank you!

• Advertisement

It could quite easily be something else, but when celery grows 'wild' - unblanched - it tends to be bushy. Break a stem, does it smell of celery?

Ah thank you , will do that tomorrow when I'm down at the house .

No smell of celery from it , weed ?

Definitely not celery, the leaves are all wrong. I'm almost certain it's a weed, but I don't know what it's called. Let's see if I can come up with anything helpful.

Could it be hemlock (which is toxic)?

https://weeds.brisbane.qld.gov.au/weeds/hemlock

New Home wrote: »
    Definitely not celery, the leaves are all wrong. I'm almost certain it's a weed, but I don't know what it's called. Let's see if I can come up with anything helpful.

No, you are right, I didn't register the twig on the left, definitely not celery.

Edit - don't think it is hemlock either though, that is more feathery/carrotty.

One thing for sure: just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't add it to my soup. :p

What's the name of that weed with yellow flowers that people are supposed to remove from their land but that very few do? It's bad for cows, horses, etc. Ragweed or ragwort, or something like that. I think that's what it is.

Thank you both for being so helpful , out it goes so :)
    And I definitely won't be making soup !

I don't think it is ragwort - could it be something like parsely / chervil / coriander (I'm not great on herbs :D ) Parsley gets a seed stem a bit like the yellow one shown, not sure it has side shoots like that though.

No, it's not parsley either, the stalks are too large for that. And the leaves aren't right for that, either. Not sure about the other two, but I really don't think it's a herb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

New Home wrote: »
    One thing for sure: just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't add it to my soup. :p

What's the name of that weed with yellow flowers that people are supposed to remove from their land but that very few do? It's bad for cows, horses, etc. Ragweed or ragwort, or something like that. I think that's what it is.
    Ragwort. That was my first thought.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ragwort&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&prmd=inmv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkqKSPzP_iAhWEYsAKHWEOCQ8Q_AUIFSgB&biw=360&bih=668#imgrc=JF9SP1MWwWLlFM

Advertisement