Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council could not give a dam..

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jaysus, I’m as well informed now as when I asked. So basically no one knows what the issue is ?? It can’t be speed as I cycle quicker than that, it can’t be noise surely cause they aren’t loud enough, it can’t be pollution cause there is none .. so is it people that are using them are not getting fit walking or that they should not be on paths as too dangerous or are they even allowed on paths does anyone know ??? Honestly, I have no ****in’ idea what the issue is???

Maybe re-read the thread as I have already told you what the issue with them is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Maybe re-read the thread as I have already told you what the issue with them is.

I know what you said but the OP was talking about DCC which you have rightly stated is not in their remit. So you think that the issue that the OP is talking about basically boils down to the fact that a cohort of people are not paying tax on a propelled vehicle, so it is a fiscal issue. I doubt any insurance company offers insurance on escooters yet or is there any evidence to suggest that there is a requirement for same, has there been many escooter accidents?

Firstly i answwred your queation.
    As for DCC, whilst they collect motor tax, the leglation itself is decided by the government and enforced by the gardai (and the few remaining traffic wardens).
    What is in the legislation has nothing to do with DCC! RTE aaking them to come on Prime Time was a fairly pointless exercise.

As for whether they've been involved in an incident, what has that got to do with the fact that it is mandatory to hold insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

No you answered what you think the OP was referring to and it might well be.
    Is it mandatory to have insurance for an escooter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No you answered what you think the OP was referring to and it might well be.
    Is it mandatory to have insurance for an escooter?

If it can be started without the user pushing off they do require insurance and tax if used on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rosmoke wrote: »
    They are legislated, need human assistance

They are not legislated for, because they don't need human assistance.
    They need a push to start, but after that will go until the battery runs out. That puts them in the same category as a kick-started motorbike (or a car that needs a push start!), not a pedelec where the motor stops when you stop pedalling.

From a safety point of view, I wouldn't like to hit a pothole at 25km/h on something with wheels that small, and they need lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

DCC no longer are interested in their remit. They'd rather pass motions in support of Palestine and stuff that they generally have no mandate for, while the place crumbles. They won't even invest in decent paving for the premier shopping street, the public realm is about the same standard as you would see in Turkey.

cgcsb wrote: »
    DCC no longer are interested in their remit.
    When it comes to escooters, what remit do you think DCC have?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

When it comes to escooters, what remit do you think DCC have?

oh none, it was a general comment about the state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

cgcsb wrote: »
    DCC no longer are interested in their remit. They'd rather pass motions in support of Palestine and stuff that they generally have no mandate for, while the place crumbles. They won't even invest in decent paving for the premier shopping street, the public realm is about the same standard as you would see in Turkey.

They also demand hassle and threaten small businesses in the city who pay rates

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    They also demand hassle and threaten small businesses in the city who pay rates
    They demand hassle? Or had you meant to include a comma there?

As for the suggestion of them being menacing, they don't just decide to challenge a small business without a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Those at a middle to higher level in many of these civil service roles are more bothered about how they spend their 100K plus salary and looking out for holiday specials - Flight sales than doing any work .
    This all has to be funded by tax payer and rates so businesses better up their game to fund these civil servants lifestyles

They demand hassle? Or had you meant to include a comma there?

As for the suggestion of them being menacing, they don't just decide to challenge a small business without a reason.

and youve had personal experience of dealing with them as a business owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Serious amount of bull**** being spewn about DCC in here in fairness.

e-scooters are currently being assessed by the RSA and then it'll be up to the Dáil to legislate. Policing them at the moment is the Gards job.

BTW if you feel DCC hassle businesses, you'll be delighted to hear that they are going to be introducing a licensing system for a-boards shortly. Businesses who want to have an advertising board on the street outside their business will need to get a license, which apparently will be difficult and quite pricey to get.

neris wrote: »
    and youve had personal experience of dealing with them as a business owner?
    How is that relevant to the question that I asked you?
    Do please tell us how your business has been subject to "demand hassle and threaten" by DCC?

How is that relevant to the question that I asked you?
    Do please tell us how your business has been subject to "demand hassle and threaten" by DCC?

you made a statement and ive asked you to back it up with your experience.

Oh FFS :rolleyes:
    So I've to back up a suggestion that you're claim regarding bullying and harassment was nonsense but you don't have to back up your original nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I can't see a problem with e-scooters, I know a couple of people who use them. But of course all we need is Nula, Mary and Bridget who are afraid of anything new or different to ring up Joe fúcking Duffy and hey presto, thousands of people that have found a solution to make their commute easier will have their mode of transport banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Supposedly 4 e-scooters confiscated by the Guards in the Dublin 8 area for having no insurance (mentioned on FM104 news this morning).

Advertisement