Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal to run a mechanic business from home?

Options
  • 07-04-2019 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

A guy across the street from me seems to be repairing cars and then selling them on, as there's a different two or three different bangers outside his house every week.

The problem is he's renting the house and doesn't have any garages for storing the cars, so he's parking them outside neighbouring houses including mine, not to mention the noise of him revving engines and coming and going in the middle of the night. It seems well dodgy and I'm not sure of the legality of running a business like that in a residential area. Anyone had a similar issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

dubdev wrote: »
    A guy across the street from me seems to be repairing cars and then selling them on, as there's a different two or three different bangers outside his house every week.

The problem is he's renting the house and doesn't have any garages for storing the cars, so he's parking them outside neighbouring houses including mine, not to mention the noise of him revving engines and coming and going in the middle of the night. It seems well dodgy and I'm not sure of the legality of running a business like that in a residential area. Anyone had a similar issue ?

Sounds as if he is storing the cars for repair or sale on the public road which is not permitted. We can park cars on the public road not store them there or use the road as a makeshift garage. “Parking” is ancillary to driving or using the car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If there’s evidence of a business from the address then he needs planning permission.

You can report to planningenforcement@dublincity.ie and they will investigate.
    You must include your full name, address which will be kept confidential of course.

Advertisement