Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drew Harris armoured jeep flung into the air at Garda HQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Irishguy44

joeguevara wrote: »
    There are a number of questions that need to be answered here. Since the rise of dissident activity in recent months (car bomb in Derry and letter bombs sent from Dublin to UK) driving a police commissioner in psni vans around the south and possible transfer into Garda vans makes him a sitting duck. Reports state he should be transported by helicopter from North to South.

Secondly who gave permission for armed spin officers to enter the republic. Although it has been legally allowed since 2013 there is a procedure that has to be followed with paperwork to back it up. It would be a conflict for Drew Harris to grant permission if he was in the van. If permission had been granted then the person who gave it should just admit it. Then no issue. The fact that no one has makes it an issue. A freedom of information request would probably fail as it is an issue of national security.

It is a kick in the face for Irish officers if drew harris doesn't have faith in them for his protection and prefers a foreign police. Couple this with foreign security being brought in for evictions makes it even more sinister. The gardai are here to protect citizens and are essentially answerable to the public. The lack of transparency makes people lose faith. Someone needs to either outline exactly what procedure was followed or there should be a full investigation. But sweeping it under the carpet with a simple 'nothing to see here' statement is making fools out of the public.

You say there was dissident activity in Derry and letter bombs were dissident, no dissident (s) or anyone Irish has been arrested, no proof the Derry bomb wasn’t controlled by British sources, dissidents would not put a bomb at a courthouse knowing cctv camera is right there and cctv footage has been released of any dissidents, the letter bombs? Who is to say the British didn’t come here, post them from here and then blame dissidents. Dissidents would have chosen better addresses to send bombs too and not Scotland either.Many people question this bomb and letter bomb as being convenient at a time Brexit was being negotiated and an attempt by the British to show Europe that the Irish are bombers. The British police said it was dissident, the gardai alluded it might be dissident but they also said the bollard malfunctioned so we can’t believe everything they say.

Bottom line is Charlie Flanagan should have seen that drew Harris was u suitable to be Garda chief owing to security required, owing to his previous dealings with psni and as he served time in A unit protecting hrh and took oath to queen he was unsuitable as well as his father being murdered. At the end of the day drew Harris could hold a grudge against Ireland because what happened his father.

Poor choice by Charlie Flanagan to appoint him has led to this America wouldn’t hire the head of Russian police to lead fbi , Ireland shouldn’t have chosen a British man to lead their force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Irishguy44 wrote: »
    You say there was dissident activity in Derry and letter bombs were dissident, no dissident (s) or anyone Irish has been arrested, no proof the Derry bomb wasn’t controlled by British sources, dissidents would not put a bomb at a courthouse knowing cctv camera is right there and cctv footage has been released of any dissidents, the letter bombs? Who is to say the British didn’t come here, post them from here and then blame dissidents. Dissidents would have chosen better addresses to send bombs too and not Scotland either.Many people question this bomb and letter bomb as being convenient at a time Brexit was being negotiated and an attempt by the British to show Europe that the Irish are bombers. The British police said it was dissident, the gardai alluded it might be dissident but they also said the bollard malfunctioned so we can’t believe everything they say.

Bottom line is Charlie Flanagan should have seen that drew Harris was u suitable to be Garda chief owing to security required, owing to his previous dealings with psni and as he served time in A unit protecting hrh and took oath to queen he was unsuitable as well as his father being murdered. At the end of the day drew Harris could hold a grudge against Ireland because what happened his father.

Poor choice by Charlie Flanagan to appoint him has led to this America wouldn’t hire the head of Russian police to lead fbi , Ireland shouldn’t have chosen a British man to lead their force

Maybe you should learn the meaning of dissident. You assume dissident means republican. You have both republican and loyalist dissident. Also the meaning of dissident is someone who opposes official policy or in opposition to official policy which can also be carried out by states to increase tension.

The fact that you went in a rant for no reason without understanding the meaning of dissident shows a lack of understanding of the issue. Whoever carried it out, would see a breach in security protocol as a target and my point stands.

Maybe you should learn the meaning of dissident. You assume dissident means republican. You have both republican and loyalist dissident. Also the meaning of dissident is someone who opposes official policy or in opposition to official policy which can also be carried out by states to increase tension.

The fact that you went in a rant for no reason without understanding the meaning of dissident shows a lack of understanding of the issue. Whoever carried it out, would see a breach in security protocol as a target and my point stands.

Maybe when you post on a public forum you shouldn’t get so defensive and try belittle me by suggesting I don’t know what dissident it.

I know exactly what dissidents are and mean, you were using the term to suggest the ira or Republicans have stepped up the pace and therefore drew is a sitting duck, I stated no dissidents or Irish have been arrested therefore until proven these incidents you suggest were dissident in nature could have been staged by the supposed victims (the British) it wasn’t a rant I just pointed out that your opinion of them being dissident incidents is just that your opinion and don’t confuse someone questioning your personal opinion as a rant

Cheers

And I don’t have a lack of understanding of the situation the situation as I see it is that many people felt drew Harris was totally unsuitable before appointed, it was a bad decision that would backfire on Charlie Flanagan and it has.

Drew Harris should not be head of the Irish force as he isn’t Irish or rather doesn’t identify as Irish but is if that makes sense, this is a man who grew up being loyal to the Union, who’s father killed by “dissidents” who has a grudge against those wanting a United ireland, he carries a British passport

This isn’t about dissidents it’s about the people of Ireland having a Garda Commissioner we can trust and thus trust his force, we have neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Maybe when you post on a public forum you shouldn’t get so defensive and try belittle me by suggesting I don’t know what dissident it.

I know exactly what dissidents are and mean, you were using the term to suggest the ira or Republicans have stepped up the pace and therefore drew is a sitting duck, I stated no dissidents or Irish have been arrested therefore until proven these incidents you suggest were dissident in nature could have been staged by the supposed victims (the British) it wasn’t a rant I just pointed out that your opinion of them being dissident incidents is just that your opinion and don’t confuse someone questioning your personal opinion as a rant

Cheers

I didn't say IRA or Republicans. I said dissident which could be either side or indeed counter subterfuge by British. You assumed I meant republican. Honestly in my opinion I think more likely to be loyalist due to the border issue. Apologies if my response came across bluntly. I didn't mean it to.

I didn't say IRA or Republicans. I said dissident which could be either side or indeed counter subterfuge by British. You assumed I meant republican. Honestly in my opinion I think more likely to be loyalist due to the border issue. Apologies if my response came across bluntly. I didn't mean it to.

I won’t reply as I don’t know what the word subterfuge means, and don’t want to google it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

pure.conya wrote: »
    they're american, they don't understand jurisdiction

https://www.thejournal.ie/us-army-uniform-shannon-4117778-Jul2018/

More likely someone didn’t get an updated memo. For quite a few years, there was a blanket authorization granted to wear of uniform not only in Shannon airport but also the surrounding environs. Nobody wanted to wake the Minister every time an airplane was grounded in Shannon and the troops had to stay at a hotel in Clare for a few days, which happened a surprising number of times. I guess the authorization expired and there was an oversight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Come on a set up by the Garda from start to finish.
    They were never going to accept an RUC man in charge of the Garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Come on a set up by the Garda from start to finish.
    They were never going to accept an RUC man in charge of the Garda

Good. They shouldn’t accept one. I think given the nature of terrorism on this island and the part that northern/ British authorities played in promoting and participating in ‘the war’ , that its a national security issue to have him as commissioner . Does he know what the army rangers are doing etc ?

• Advertisement

janfebmar wrote: »
    It is her job to establish the identity and purpose of each vehicle that visits. She badly damaged the vehicle her own boss was in. Big mistake.

Big mistake was made by the boss, travelling with armed officers from a foreign police force without going through the official channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

cjmc wrote: »
    Good. They shouldn’t accept one. I think given the nature of terrorism on this island and the part that northern/ British authorities played in promoting and participating in ‘the war’ , that its a national security issue to have him as commissioner . Does he know what the army rangers are doing etc ?

How is it a national security issue? Do you think he's feeding information to the PSNI?

tigger123 wrote: »
    How is it a national security issue? Do you think he's feeding information to the PSNI?

If course he is,
    His loyalties are not to the free state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

If course he is,

So the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána is a spy for the PSNI.

Seeing as though the Republic isn't at war with Northern Ireland, what kind of information do you think he would be passing to the PSNI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

I should hope not; that ended 80 odd years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If it eventually transpires that British armed officers have indeed been on duty here without pre clearance and authorisation, then that could be considered a National security issue.

Personally, I think this is more a case of DH not following the correct procedures, than any possible case of him indulging in "espionage".

The silence, followed by the conflicting versions of events by the press office, the lack of clarity from the justice department confirming the PSNI lads had the permission to be carrying arms in this operation.

Stinks of a cover-up they couldn't keep covered.

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »
    I should hope not; that ended 80 odd years ago.

Sarcasm.
    That's what him and his ilk think of our fine republic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

I don't think its unreasonable to expect two policing units on one small island sharing and exchanging intelligence to protect it's people. I'd just imagine Drew Harris is a lot more 'active' in doing so than previous commissioners.

So the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána is a spy for the PSNI.

Seeing as though the Republic isn't at war with Northern Ireland, what kind of information do you think he would be passing to the PSNI?

No not a spy.
    I just think his loyalties are within this state.
    He is still governed by his oath and I official secrecy act for the UK.
    Also he has a huge tattoo on his chest of the British queen

TomasMacR wrote: »
    I don't think its unreasonable to expect two policing units on one small island sharing and exchanging intelligence to protect it's people. I'd just imagine Drew Harris is a lot more 'active' in doing so than previous commissioners.

Of course AGS & PSNI Co operate work wise, they have done for years.
    What they don't do is drive around the others jurisdiction, while in duty, & definitely not armed, without protocol being properly followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

pablo128 wrote: »
    How would an armoured Jeep be written off then? You and another poster are essentially saying that if you jack up an armoured Jeep it is only fit for a scrapyard afterwards.

You obviously have never worked or been near a scrapyard. Have you ever had a car or van written off? Chassis leg bent on a vehicle...Write off. Steel bollard smashes underneath a jeep and makes sh×te of the chassis...That's a write off.
    Again the rubbish here...No way did the vehicle go in at speed...Garda on the checkpoint managed to hit the button at the exact time the Jeep was over the bollard...What speed was the Jeep doing? 80kmh? 90kmh? Yeah...No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

no proof the Derry bomb wasn’t controlled by British sources
    the letter bombs? Who is to say the British didn’t come here, post them from here and then blame dissidents.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Bye.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

mfceiling wrote: »
    You obviously have never worked or been near a scrapyard. Have you ever had a car or van written off? Chassis leg bent on a vehicle...Write off. Steel bollard smashes underneath a jeep and makes sh×te of the chassis...That's a write off.
    Again the rubbish here...No way did the vehicle go in at speed...Garda on the checkpoint managed to hit the button at the exact time the Jeep was over the bollard...What speed was the Jeep doing? 80kmh? 90kmh? Yeah...No.
    Rest assured I know vastly more about motors than you do.

I’d say Leo is delighted and Simon Harris cause nobody talking about Kylie letters or children’s hospitals

won't be too long until the next one though, because...

jiv3cwg.jpg

Edit awec deleted his post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

The policing unit in the north still has a lot of the old guard in it's ranks. Some of the old guard were up to their necks in collusion and the covering up of loyalist murders. One doesn't have to look too far to see who was impeding the review into the police investigation of the loughlinisland massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The Gardaí might well be able to stop GSOC but they won't be able to interfere with the UK investigation.

The Gardaí might well be able to stop GSOC but they won't be able to interfere with the UK investigation.

why would the gardai want to stop any investigation? maybe one particular Garda might, don't see why any of the rest would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

pablo128 wrote: »
    Rest assured I know vastly more about motors than you do.

Good lad...Thanks for sharing.

You probably know more about this story than the rest of us as well.

Jog on pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have to say I find it bizarre that so many people are scoffing at anyone who takes issue with this and/or has suspicions of the PSNI.

It's an established fact that the RUC colluded with loyalist terrorism against Irish people on at least a few occasions, and it's an established fact that Drew Harris was a senior member of the aforementioned organisation before it became the PSNI. It is not established as fact, and it is indeed hotly debated to this very day, that the PSNI is entirely independent of its past incarnation as a truly reprehensible organisation, and it is widely believed that people who were in positions such as Harris' even after the RUC became the PSNI, have information about atrocities committed against Irish people which they have held back over the years.

None of these suspicions or objections to PSNI involvement in Ireland are unreasonable.

In that context, surely it's blatantly obvious that this incident was, at the very least, yet another example of Garda ignorance of optics and complete and total incompetence when it comes to the entire concept of public image and public relations.

Any suggestion whatsoever of illegal activity by the PSNI being facilitated by senior Gardaí is obviously - and rightly - going to cause consternation and controversy.

It's very obvious that some people desperately want to act as if only the IRA were "the bad guys" during the troubles - which, remember, only ended as recently as 1998 - and that any objection to or suspicions of unionists who held or hold positions of authority in Northern Ireland is fringe, crackpot conspiracy stuff at best or straight-up racism at worst.

This is not the case. People rightly and reasonably have questions about whether it is appropriate for individuals who served in an organisation which was entirely biased against the nationalist population and committed unspeakable acts of violence and oppression against that population, to serve in positions of authority in Ireland. And in that context, the idea that Drew Harris has not severed any "familiar" terms he has with the PSNI, and indeed might have allowed them to break the law in this country, is absolutely appalling.

Nobody who is objecting to this, is doing so unreasonably. It is an extremely serious situation of national sovereignty.

As has been pointed out many times...picture the reverse.

Former senior ranking member of Gardaí is appointed Chief Constable of PSNI (ridiculous enough in itself). He then travels south regularly and upon official business decides deliberately, for no apparent reason to stay in a Garda Siochána unit with armed Garda Síochána over the border all the way to PSNI headquarters where there is a security incident of note.

Response "all protocols followed, move along, nothing to be seen here"....ok. We are the biggest bunch of pushovers on the planet, mostly because so many strokes of corruption and strings being pulled.

Can you just imagine the reaction by DUP how far this would go. It really doesn't matter what your party allegiance is, this is absurd and the brushing under the carpet sh*te is ridiculous. Only hope is, if this is his attitude and behaviour he really does not stand a chance no matter how lightly he treads from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Get a life

So I see the commissioner cannot comment on the fact that he had a PSNI armed escort into the south & all the way into Garda headquarters because of personal security issues!!
    A get out of jail card......
    Same old same old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Republicans did cowardly kill his father. Same old same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Heard his interview on Morning Ireland and thought that he came across well. I’ve heard a few Gardaí comment about him shaking the organization up - they didn’t say it in a nice way. I’m happy if he does things by the book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bubblypop wrote: »
    So I see the commissioner cannot comment on the fact that he had a PSNI armed escort into the south & all the way into Garda headquarters because of personal security issues!!
    Same old same old.

You can be damn sure that he won't be doing that again. Every single TD in the Dail would see the implications of one of this security detail doing something they shouldn't while in the South. A firm rap on the knuckles for Drew I would imagine. Job done - in the opinion of whoever leaked this within a clearly unhappy Garda force. Expect more of this undermining of Harris's position.
    It remains to be seen if his appointment will have a negative or positive impact.

bubblypop wrote: »
    So I see the commissioner cannot won't comment on the fact that he had a PSNI armed escort into the south & all the way into Garda headquarters because of personal security issues!!
    Same old same old.

Is there a PSNI ombudsman and GSOC investigation going on into why the PSNI were armed here or what is the latest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is there a PSNI ombudsman and GSOC investigation going on into why the PSNI were armed here or what is the latest?

:):):)

Republicans did cowardly kill his father. Same old same old.

What? Republicans have cowardly killed his father again?

What? Republicans have cowardly killed his father again?

Once is enough, same as they did to thousands of others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are you suggesting all those on both sides get a pass on observing the laws/rules because they are bereaved/affected by the conflict/war?

Not sure of the relevancy otherwise. It seems to be trotted out as an excuse for certain behaviour by Unionist and British state players very frequently on Boards by a few posters.

The British have arguably killed more Irish citizens during its time on this island.

That's what happens in conflicts Mary.

The British have arguably killed more Irish citizens during its time on this ....

The only person going back hundreds of years is you. During the decades of " the troubles", Republicans killed more than anyone else. 99% of the bombings were by republicans too. I am not saying the other side is blameless, but you must look at both sides.

The only person going back hundreds of years is you. During the decades of " the troubles", Republicans killed more than anyone else. 99% of the bombings were by republicans too. I am not saying the other side is blameless, but you must look at both sides.

That's great.

Do you want to start a thread about it?

honeybear wrote: »
    I’m happy if he does things by the book

Unfortunately doesn't look like it so far

99% of the bombings were by republicans too.

That’s a fascinating statistic. What is your source for this, and please don’t quote the depths of your rectum where you pulled it from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bombings_during_the_Northern_Ireland_Troubles_and_peace_process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

He was a member of biggoted police force who was implementing harsh Draconian measures on republicans. Ah what a pity, never mind.

That’s a fascinating statistic. What is your source for this, and please don’t quote the depths of your rectum where you pulled it from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bombings_during_the_Northern_Ireland_Troubles_and_peace_process

There ere at least 10, 000 bombs during the troubles, the vast majority were by republicans in the name of the armed struggle. 99% of the economic damage caused too was by republicans.

Tomas81 wrote: »
    He was a member of biggoted police force who was implementing harsh Draconian measures on republicans. Ah what a pity, never mind.

They caught and jailed many Loyalists too.

There ere at least 10, 000 bombs during the troubles, the vast majority were by republicans in the name of the armed struggle. 99% of the economic damage caused too was by republicans.

Hang on, your 99% stat has now shifted to ‘vast majority’. Now they are responsible for 99% for ‘economic damage’.

Here’s another stat, there’s a 99% chance you haven’t a f*cking breeze what are you are talking about, the other 1% is I think I am talking to a primary school student on their Easter holidays. Again, where are your non-depths of your rectum based sources for all these 99% statistics.

I’d be saying the same thing to someone who was quoting all these stats about drew Harris and his mates also by the way.

Count the bombs in the link yourself. 99% is a vast majority, and the damage done by The Dockland bomb alone was estimated to have caused damage of £150 000 000, and Manchester was another big lorry bomb, for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement