Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drew Harris armoured jeep flung into the air at Garda HQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

kneemos wrote: »
    Does Micky D have armed security on his nordy trips?

yes, all preplanned and permissions granted, he can't however just randomly take a trip up north with armed Irish security in tow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

What have you against Republican campaigns? Most Irish people celebrated our Republican heroes in huge numbers in 2016.

You can back this up with facts??? Otherwise, it's just a sweeping statement.

Haha. Yeah they arm gardai with armour piercing rounds.

I don't think the man on the gate is even armed. This isn't some dystopian future where ED209s patrol the garda HQ ready to annihilate any northern reg cars with armour piercing bullets.

you go on up to government buildings any day you like, take a toy gun with you and by all means go right passed the man on the gate just to see what response comes pouring out at you very quickly

Trumps fault

pesky russians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Why.

You don't want a Garda car taken off duty but have no issue with a helicopter being taken out of service.

Have a think about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

You can back this up with facts??? Otherwise, it's just a sweeping statement.

Did you not attend or at least see any of the numerous commemorations we had in 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What have you against Republican campaigns? Most Irish people celebrated our Republican heroes in huge numbers in 2016.

The war is over, chief. We no longer lay any claim on the North. We celebrated the heroes of 1916 for what they set in motion for our independence.

I doubt we will be celebrating any of the modern “good republicans” for running diesel across the border or knee capping kids.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pablo128 wrote: »
    You don't want a Garda car taken off duty but have no issue with a helicopter being taken out of service.

Have a think about that.

Never said either. Just stating it could take up less resources and time.

Did you not attend or at least see any of the numerous commemorations we had in 2016?

It's still a sweeping statement to say "most people" celebrated. Have you any way of backing this up? Just because there were numerous celebrations organized, doesn't necessarily mean that "most Irish people celebrated".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

The Commissioner lives with his wife in a residence on the Garda Headquarters grounds while security work is completed on a private residence elsewhere. Last year, Mr Harris’s wife was told she could no longer walk their dog in the Park due to security concerns. A garda was assigned to walk the animal daily

That’s enough internet for my blood pressure today. I feel for the Garda assigned to that role. Like when interns made to make coffee...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It seems this story was in saturday's Irish Star so the latest it happened was on Friday

https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/1114417480020234240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Like this story.

The commissioner's teams should have called ahead informing that a Northern registered vehicle (or vehhickle) would be entering the compound. The Gardai on duty was in the right 100% in what he did.

But Gardai Cute Hoorism got in the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Del2005 wrote: »
    There are different levels of bullet proof and you would wish that armed officers guarding our buildings, and ourselves, are issued with armour piecing rounds to stop vehicles.

Starting to sound like a checkpoint in Iraq... or London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

2xz60z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any pics doing the rounds of this?

The war is over, chief. We no longer lay any claim on the North. We celebrated the heroes of 1916 for what they set in motion for our independence.

I doubt we will be celebrating any of the modern “good republicans” for running diesel across the border or knee capping kids.

Ah, a hypocrite I see. Old Republics killing for independence is fine, newer Republicans doing the same is not fine.

It's still a sweeping statement to say "most people" celebrated. Have you any way of backing this up? Just because there were numerous celebrations organized, doesn't necessarily mean that "most Irish people celebrated".

So you didn't attend any? I'm sure you saw that these commemorations had large attendances? I'm sure you watched tv programs which praised our heroes, listened to radio shows. On the other hand, I'm sure you didn't see the opposite of all this. If you're claiming that most people didn't celebrate our heroes in some way then go ahead and back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pure.conya wrote: »
    you go on up to government buildings any day you like, take a toy gun with you and by all means go right passed the man on the gate just to see what response comes pouring out at you very quickly

Well, you can drive a cement truck at the gates without a shot being fired!

I'm glad no one was hurt in that incident a few years ago but that guy, I reckon, had no idea how lucky he was. I'd say there aren't too many countries where you could drive a truck at the national parliament gates and not get shot dead for your trouble. That truck could have been a massive bomb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

SPDUB wrote: »
    It seems this story was in saturday's Irish Star so the latest it happened was on Friday

Monday March 25th (2 weeks ago)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/security-scare-at-garda-hq-raises-questions-on-role-of-psni-in-protecting-commissioner-1.3852361

• Advertisement

So you didn't attend any? I'm sure you saw that these commemorations had large attendances? I'm sure you watched tv programs which praised our heroes, listened to radio shows. On the other hand, I'm sure you didn't see the opposite of all this. If you're claiming that most people didn't celebrate our heroes in some way then go ahead and back it up.

I refuse to be led off topic. Please desist. You're starting to sound like a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The ARU chasing an unmarked Jeep into HQ?

This is important and has been overlooked in this thread, an ARU following a northern reg jeep approaching Garda HQ at speed is surely going to set alarm bells ringing and given only seconds to react the sentinel was given no other option.

I refuse to be led off topic. Please desist. You're starting to sound like a troll.

Forced to face up to the facts more like. The majority of Irish people celebrated our Republican heroes in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We should never have allowed the loyalist infiltration of the Gardai in the first place. Hopefully this will see an end of him and pack him back the far side of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This is important and has been overlooked in this thread, an ARU following a northern reg jeep approaching Garda HQ at speed is surely going to set alarm bells ringing and given only seconds to react the sentinel was given no other option.

From the above article she let the ARU car in but raised the barriers when she didn't recognise the unmarked Range Rover.

Ah, a hypocrite I see. Old Republics killing for independence is fine, newer Republicans doing the same is not fine.

Not at all. We replaced articles 2 and 3 of the constitution and the IRA called a ceasefire in the North. The island will be reunited by democratic means once the time comes.

You sound like one of them Japanese soldiers lost in the jungle who believe the war is still raging.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Forced to face up to the facts more like. The majority of Irish people celebrated our Republican heroes in 2016.

Oh just shut up.
    You have no idea whether this is true or not.
    I didn't attend any celebrations and I genuinely am not aware of a single person I know who did.
    Shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

From the above article she let the ARU car in but raised the barriers when she didn't recognise the unmarked Range Rover.

Oh, sorry, I read the article but missed that

Not at all. We replaced articles 2 and 3 of the constitution and the IRA called a ceasefire in the North. The island will be reunited by democratic means once the time comes.

You sound like one of them Japanese soldiers lost in the jungle who believe the war is still raging.

So you do support all Republican campaigns then?

Oh just shut up.
    You have no idea whether this is true or not.
    I didn't attend any celebrations and I genuinely am not aware of a single person I know who did.
    Shut up.

You don't have to attend a commemoration to celebrate our Republican heroes. No need to be rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're now starting to sound absurd. A few thousand actively attended or celebrated at events, out of over 6 million people. The majority most certainly did not take part. Most didn't give it a second thought.

Now, how about we stick to the topic?

• Advertisement

So you do support all Republican campaigns then?

To be honest, I’m not so sure anymore. Do we really want to inherit that basket case economy, abundance of social problems and all those UK civil servants?

You're now starting to sound absurd. A few thousand actively attended or celebrated at events, out of over 6 million people. The majority most certainly did not take part. Most didn't give it a second thought.

I never said they did. Follow the thread before posting irrelevant posts. Thanks.

That is utter shítetalk. A few thousand?

Just because you're desperate for something to be true doesn't mean it is.

To be honest, I’m not so sure anymore. Do we really want to inherit that basket case economy, abundance of social problems and all those UK civil servants?

Whatever about that, you shouldn't be besmirching our Republican heroes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There are more important questions to be answered from that article:
    Last year, Mr Harris’s wife was told she could no longer walk their dog in the Park due to security concerns. A garda was assigned to walk the animal daily.
    I think that's definitely a job that can migrate over to a civilian role.

We should never have allowed the loyalist infiltration of the Gardai in the first place. Hopefully this will see an end of him and pack him back the far side of the border.
    That is utter shítetalk. A few thousand?

Just because you're desperate for something to be true doesn't mean it is.

Easy to see where you're coming from. Your prejudices have no place here.

It seems that we have some unionists on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Reati wrote: »
    That’s enough internet for my blood pressure today. I feel for the Garda assigned to that role. Like when interns made to make coffee...

Sounds like a real handy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The shinners making mountains out of molehills as usual when it's anything to do with the "other side".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It seems that we have some unionists on this thread.

Cool Story bro

• Advertisement

The shinners making mountains out of molehills as usual when it's anything to do with the "other side".

The other side have no place in this country, let alone be allowed behind the lines of our police service.

Cool Story bro

EXPOSED.

I wonder did the people of Northern Ireland realise they are paying for the armed protection of the Garda commissioner.

Cool Story bro

EXPOSED.
    Oh no you caught me.. I'm actually Oliver cromwell.

Lol sinners gonna shin.

Lol sinners gonna shin.

:D The majority of Irish people celebrated Sinn Féin in 2016!

Lol sinners gonna shin.

Yes they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

This story comes out after he decides to make an example of a Garda doing the nasty in his squad car

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Drew H was very lucky the gardai on duty didn’t open fire on this unmarked black van traveling at speed towards them.

At the very least there are serious questions about the lack of communication between psni and AGS

Well, you can drive a cement truck at the gates without a shot being fired!

I'm glad no one was hurt in that incident a few years ago but that guy, I reckon, had no idea how lucky he was. I'd say there aren't too many countries where you could drive a truck at the national parliament gates and not get shot dead for your trouble. That truck could have been a massive bomb.

ok, so now you've proven its 100% safe, well I'll be in our nations capital on tue if you want to take up my challenge and I'll livestream it for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yet less than 14% of Irish people actually voted for them. Curious.

Advertisement