Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I buy the right power supply..?

Options
  • 07-04-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Im currently building a pc but I’m just wondering if I’ve bought the right power supply.

I’ve been following a guide on YouTube pretty closely but after watching the video back I’ve noticed that he uses a different power supply to me

He used the EVGA 600 BQ 80+ Bronze 600w Semi Modular FDB Fan Power Supply 110-BQ-0600-K1

I’ve bought the EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W, Power Supply 100-B1-0600-K3, Black

Is there a difference in these two? Should I be worried? Have I bought the wrong thing and will I have to return it? Lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.custompcguide.net/evga-power-supply-units-comparison-all-series/#EVGA-B-PSU

BQ is modular, an actual fan curve (B1 runs 100% at all times), a longer warranty (therefore probably better build quality), and 12A on CPU rail instead of 10A.

If you can afford to send the B1 back for a BQ I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.custompcguide.net/evga-power-supply-units-comparison-all-series/#EVGA-B-PSU

I’ve just checked and the BQ is currently unavailable on Amazon :(
    Will there be any compatibility issues or major problems if I stick with the B1 or is it something I should absolutely change before building?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's compatible, just a worse PSU than the BQ (louder for one).
    Also you may be a bit more limited for CPU overclocking; and can never consider dual-GPU (not that dual-GPU matters anymore).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's fine, still a good PSU, 100% compatible. 600 watts is loads of power for any single GPU system.
    10 AMPS on the CPU rail will be fine for overclocking the CPU, heat and limitations of the CPU will be a factor long before power draw with any standard cooling setup.

Would I run into any major issues upgrading the power supply in a couple of months after its built or would changing power supplys be a bit of a pain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No problem at all, changing power supplies is very easy and should not require you to remove any other components.
    IMO the one you have is perfectly adequate so you probably won't feel the need to change it.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That supply is fine. The other one is just a better supply with better features and build quality, but the one you bought is grand for a normal system.

Advertisement