Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Pension Plan (brokers) for Irish expat.

• 08-04-2019 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I know of LABrokers. However their fees of 1% seems high.

Are there better options for an Irish expat working in Asia. I am able to invest a lump sums and then monthly payments.

Any way to ge ta state pensions with some sort of contribution system?

Kindest Regards,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you paying income tax in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 unless you are paying tax at the higher rate in Ireland there are better ways of investing
    Fees for everything in Ireland are a joke and add in the taxes forget it
    If you are in Asia look into investing in funds from there.

Damn, I'm in the same position as OP and wanted to look into this later in the year. Hadn't realised they're were downsides to not being in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

"Any way to ge ta state pensions with some sort of contribution system?"

contact prsicontributions@welfare.ie to see if you are eligible to make voluntary contributions

If you are eligible they will let you know how much to pay on an annual basis and give you details to make voluntary contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If you are in a country like Korea or Japan, to my knowledge there is a pension agreement between Ireland and these countries.

Your contributions there will be recognized towards your eligibility for state pension upon retirement. It's not great, as depending on your level of income, if you could get your contributions refunded and had a private plan, you'd get better returns - but it is what it is.

Probably worth giving the DSP to see where you stand.

As per the other poster, voluntary contributions might be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

Are you paying income tax in Ireland?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

skippy2 wrote: »
    "Any way to ge ta state pensions with some sort of contribution system?"

contact prsicontributions@welfare.ie to see if you are eligible to make voluntary contributions

If you are eligible they will let you know how much to pay on an annual basis and give you details to make voluntary contributions.

Thank you. I just send them an email.

Advertisement