Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportsworld Terenure 5 Mile - 12th May 2019/Junior Races added

• 08-04-2019 9:28am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last Years Thread

Website
    Entry

The Terenure 5 mile will take place this year on Sunday 12th May at 11am.

Formerly known as the “Dublin 5 Mile Classic”, 2018 will be the races 34th year.

The fast 2 lap course starts from Terenure College, Dublin 6w.

This year there will also be Junior Races. Entry for Junior races is €5

Junior Races start at 9.30am Under 8 Girls 9.30 am 400m Under 8 Boys 400m Under 12 Girls 400m Under 12 Boys 400m Under 14 Girls 800m Under 14 Boys 800m Under 18 Girls 800m Under 18 Boys 800m.

The race is run by the local Sportsworld Running Club. Check out previous threads for reviews of the race.

2018,2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.

The entry fee is €25.
    • Free Technical Race T-Shirt
    • Free Professional Race Photo’s on Internet after race
    • Free Post Race Refreshments
    • Race Number with Chip Timing
    • Race Pacers for 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 minutes
    • Numerous Spot Prizes
    • One of the flattest course around
    • Athletics Association Ireland (AAI) Certified race
    • Ideal Mini Marathon Preparation
    • Cash and Spot prizes

Course:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great race, always well-run, with a good field on a flat course - and lots of food afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

It's a great race, good weather always seems to be guaranteed.
    I'll be there with a small army.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Looking forward to this on Sunday. It was the pacers that swung it for me. PB at 5k is 25 and at 10k is 55 what should I aim for for 8? My last 8k was almost a year ago came in at 43 something so was thinking of following 40min pacer and if I can't keep up I can drop back.

Seesee wrote: »
    Looking forward to this on Sunday. It was the pacers that swung it for me. PB at 5k is 25 and at 10k is 55 what should I aim for for 8? My last 8k was almost a year ago came in at 43 something so was thinking of following 40min pacer and if I can't keep up I can drop back.

If those 5k and 10k PBs are recent, you won't be able to keep up with the 40 minute pacer, and trying to will leave you wrecked for the last couple of miles. Better to start slower and keep a consistent pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Whats the option for parking for this, i will be driving over from the Raheny Area ?

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Whats the option for parking for this, i will be driving over from the Raheny Area ?

there's onstreet parking in the area, and Rathfarnham shopping centre is nearby and has a big car park

(they haven't agreed to host car parking, so note I have no official connection with the race and my advice is not endorsed by the race organisers :) )

RayCun wrote: »
    (they haven't agreed to host car parking, so note I have no official connection with the race and my advice is not endorsed by the race organisers :) )

Thanks Ray, yeah a bit lost over in the dark side ;), so any advice very welcome.

RayCun wrote: »
    If those 5k and 10k PBs are recent, you won't be able to keep up with the 40 minute pacer, and trying to will leave you wrecked for the last couple of miles. Better to start slower and keep a consistent pace.

Thanks, yes 10K/55:03 was the Night Run last week. In fairness the first 1K I was trying to get past lots and lots of people. I don't want to run with the 45min pacer though as I am hoping for faster than that so I suppose that means I just run my own race using my watch and how I feel for pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any advice on where to sign up?

At this stage I would guess online entry would be late in terms of posting out numbers, so is there somewhere to just walk in and sign up maybe on friday or saturday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Paddy1234

At this stage I would guess online entry would be late in terms of posting out numbers, so is there somewhere to just walk in and sign up maybe on friday or saturday evening?

Number pick up is Friday evening and Saturday anyway for online entries

• Advertisement

There's an entry link in the first post of the thread.

Enter online now, the race usually sells out before the weekend.

They don't post out numbers anyway, you have to collect yourself.

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Number pick up is Friday evening and Saturday anyway for online entries

From what I read you can do number pick-up Sunday too 9-10.30

number/t-shirt collection
    Friday 7pm-9pm at Sportsworld Clubhouse Bushy Park.
    Saturday 2pm-5pm at Sportsworld Clubhouse Bushy Park.
    Sunday 9am-10.30am at Race HQ Our Ladies School Terenure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm doing this! Anyone else?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

We will be closing entries at lunch time today so if.you are planning on entering now is the time.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm doing this! Anyone else?

Thinking about it, I have a number, but might run long on Sunday instead.

Ill decide on Sunday morning I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I am. So are ReeReeG, Rossi7, annapr, scotindublin, aquinn and eyrie....just a few off the top of my head.

I'm in, on pain of family exile :pac:

It's sold out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I am. So are ReeReeG, Rossi7, annapr, scotindublin, aquinn and eyrie....just a few off the top of my head.

Ooh, good luck, all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Picked up the number earlier. Lovely t-shirt. Weather is looking good so really looking forward to it.

Picked up the number earlier. Lovely t-shirt. Weather is looking good so really looking forward to it.

You could meet a few of us at the school for a little warmup jog if you'd like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Great race - really well organised!

Had a great first mile, after that I struggled with the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You could meet a few of us at the school for a little warmup jog if you'd like.

Sorry, ended up running later than planned. Then heading into Terenure college thinking that was HQ and not Our Lady’s so wasn’t my most organised morning. I was looking at faces and thinking ‘I wonder are they from the internet’. Will hopefully meet some of ye in future anyway.

Great weather and a really well organised event. Sub 40 pacer threw me off a bit when he went flying past me at the start, ended up running a much faster first mile than planned, but worked out ok in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great race - really well organised!

Had a great first mile, after that I struggled with the heat!

Identical to my race. Delighted to finish but moved on quickly. Desperate was the best way to describe it. Dead legs and warm. I did get to meet loads of random internet people.

Thanks to Sportsworld and especially to the water station, that was superb and especially to have small bottles to carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Great event today. Wonderful race. Third year in a row doing it. I could repost my post from last year. It is a brilliant event. Saw some of the kids events before hand. Great addition. Well done to all involved. Will be back next year for 4 in a row. Ice cream van on the corner did some business.

As I was finishing I saw the ambulance with two outriders going back the course, hope whoever it was for is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Great event today. Wonderful race. Third year in a row doing it. I could repost my post from last year. It is a brilliant event. Saw some of the kids events before hand. Great addition. Well done to all involved. Will be back next year for 4 in a row. Ice cream van on the corner did some business.

As I was finishing I saw the ambulance with two outriders going back the course, hope whoever it was for is ok.

The person concerned is okay, they were taken to hospital as a precaution but all okay.

3rd year in a row for me too doing the race, it's one of the good ones, great organisation, great support and the weather always seems to come good for race day. Very nice t-shirt this year too!

Didn't get near the time I ran last year but happy enough all the same. I'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Cracking race, well done Emily and Sportsworld.

My daughter ran in the junior race and although the standard wasn't the strongest, it was a nice confidence booster for her. The whole family came out and the youngest had her face painted. It all just left a very positive impression.

Nice to meet a few boardsies.

My 3rd year in a row doing the new course, still prefer the older course out in Walkinstown.
    2017 - 37:29
    2018 - 35:34
    2019 - 33:40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Nicely organised race, all went incredibly smoothly - which is hard to make happen, so fairplay to the organisers!

I thought it was a lovely day for a run. Having just got off the ferry from Holyhead after being at the Leinster game on Saturday, wasn't pushing it at all and was doing it at the pace that just "came". Was a really enjoyable way to do it, and the weather, course and supporters made it a worthwhile approach. Bizarrely though, I think the ~33 min yesterday may be my 5 mile PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

very enjoyable for me and an improvement on my raheny time from this year so happy enough with it.

heat again was an issue, 3rd year in a row, next year I am planning a bbq after it because you seem to be guaranteed a good day! :D

Advertisement