Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf lessons / Coach

Options
  • 08-04-2019 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Looking to get back into golf seriously this year after a hiatus....could anyone recommend a good instructor in the Dublin / Wicklow / Kildare area?

Just looking to try develop a solid / repeatable swing! (aren't we all!)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hi there

Looking to get back into golf seriously this year after a hiatus....could anyone recommend a good instructor in the Dublin / Wicklow / Kildare area?

Just looking to try develop a solid / repeatable swing! (aren't we all!)

Thanks in advance.
    The guy I go to is Paul Masterson in Macreddin. Currently doing exactly what you're looking for, for me. And he's excellent. A block of three 45 minute lessons for €100 and you get full value for this. I went to him on recommendation from a couple of other guys I know. He's a really good teacher, couldn't speak highly enough of him. There's a good driving range there too, so it's not a case of hitting off mats or into nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The guy I go to is Paul Masterson in Macreddin. Currently doing exactly what you're looking for, for me. And he's excellent. A block of three 45 minute lessons for €100 and you get full value for this. I went to him on recommendation from a couple of other guys I know. He's a really good teacher, couldn't speak highly enough of him. There's a good driving range there too, so it's not a case of hitting off mats or into nets.

Lovely - much appreciated. thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Brian O'Brien is the pro in Castlewarden GC which is right on the Dublin/Kildare border so would fir in your location preference.

There is a range at the course, so everything you need in house.

A really nice guy, breaks things down very simply.

Michelle Caroll in Celbridge Range is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

As above, Michelle Carroll. She's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

A little off topic but why isn't there a website where you can check reviews and qualifications.

Would be a great way for good pro's to get buisness.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    A little off topic but why isn't there a website where you can check reviews and qualifications.

Would be a great way for good pro's to get buisness.
    You're reviewing people. Always a dangerous area to get into.

You're reviewing people. Always a dangerous area to get into.

I understand where your coming from but it can be made possible.

Even if the only option is to recommend or not the better coaches will have the most recommendations. If these people also have to supply location and handicap the data could be used to say "this coach is highly recommended by golfers with high handicaps" or " this coach is highly recommended by mid handicaps"

There is absolutely a quality difference between coaches but the only way to find out now is by spending your own money and taking a gamble.

I understand where your coming from but it can be made possible.

Even if the only option is to recommend or not the better coaches will have the most recommendations. If these people also have to supply location and handicap the data could be used to say "this coach is highly recommended by golfers with high handicaps" or " this coach is highly recommended by mid handicaps"

There is absolutely a quality difference between coaches but the only way to find out now is by spending your own money and taking a gamble.
    I get that, and I thought about it a lot before replying. But the whole area is highly subjective and what suits some people might not suit others. So even my recommendation above may not suit the OP. Your method isn't foolproof either. It could be down to chance as to whether they get recommendations or not and then whether they are from one particular cohort or not.

I get that, and I thought about it a lot before replying. But the whole area is highly subjective and what suits some people might not suit others. So even my recommendation above may not suit the OP. Your method isn't foolproof either. It could be down to chance as to whether they get recommendations or not and then whether they are from one particular cohort or not.

I'm not so sure on some of that.

I absolutely get some personality won't fit and it can be very hard to trust someone your not completely confident of. This may lead to a good coach being unable to work well someone.

However, there should be some way to review/promote what is essentially a buisness , subjective or not. The same thing happens by word of mouth this would just streamline it into a website instead of questions on forums or your mates on the course.

Even a list of coaches with prices,location,launch monitor availability would be something.

I'm not so sure on some of that.

I absolutely get some personality won't fit and it can be very hard to trust someone your not completely confident of. This may lead to a good coach being unable to work well someone.

However, there should be some way to review/promote what is essentially a buisness , subjective or not. The same thing happens by word of mouth this would just streamline it into a website instead of questions on forums or your mates on the course.

Even a list of coaches with prices,location,launch monitor availability would be something.
    Word of mouth is fine. You're unlikely to libel somebody to the extent that damage is done. On the interwebs it's a different matter. There's a lot of stuff you can't say here for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

Gary Hendley in Stepaside Driving Range, was a great help to me. charges 100 for 3 lessons 30 - 40 mins each lesson, ran throught alot and helped me focus on my main issues

Advertisement