Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEVIE WONDER 3 Arena Tuesday, July 9th 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Burty330 wrote: »
    Its so bad in there even renowned live acts like Tool , Pearl Jam , Depeche Mode , RHCP 2017 sounded flat. I saw each band in different venues and the difference in sound quality was glaring.

In re: Depeche Mode, I was at that gig. I had a seat all the way up in the gods and could make it out perfectly. So much so that I could even hear the embarrassed chuckle when Dave held the mike up to a young lady at the end of "Enjoy the Silence" and she scuffed her line (poor thing). I struggle to see how hearing such small sounds from the very back of the venue could be considered poor sound quality.

Also, not to get too technical but what exactly do you mean by sounded flat? I assume you mean that it wasn't loud enough rather than that it wasn't clear or that the gig was musically flat (which, unless they used a pitch shifter which I doubt, is nothing to do with the venue's sound). Or do you mean that you didn't enjoy the gig as much as you did in other places? If the latter, I can see why other venues can be more enjoyable - the 3 Arena is a big old warehouse after all, and lacks the intimacy of smaller venues - but this isn't to do with the sound quality.
    Us typical Micks aren't going to criticize the only venue we have and will happily continue putting lipstick on the hog that is the OHH TWO

It's not the only venue we have and there is plenty criticism of the 3 Arena, but just that that criticism is not due to sound quality. I mean, would I prefer to have seen Tame Impala in Vicar Street - yes. But, given that over 14,000 other people wanted to see him, it had to be a large venue and that obviously means that you lose out. It might be fairer if you compare the 3 Arena with say the Alexandra Palace in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Someone has uploaded one hour twenty mins of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Widescreen wrote: »
    Slightly off topic here, but I've been to loads of gigs in the point/3 arena.

Biggest problems I come across is the noise from people yapping all the way through the concert and going up/down/up stairs all night to get drink.

Last Saturday at the Eagles we had to tell a crowd of women behind us who probably only knew Hotel California to shut it! Otherwise we would have had gig ruined for us. I think they thought they were at a hen party!

We are crying out for a proper run venue where you cannot constantly get up and down or buy drink at any time etc. And be in your seat before it starts.

Rant over!

Totally agree, the Irish insistence on being able to buy copious amounts of alcohol throughout the entire gig and missing most of it in the process :rolleyes:. I remember for Bruce Springsteen in PUC in 2013, the queues for drink outside the stadium were unreal, people were waiting 40 minutes just to get a drink and missing massive chunks of his set as a result. It can only mean that they aren't really fans surely. I mean I had never been to a Bruce Springsteen concert before then but I certianly wasn't going to miss any of it just to get an (again) overpriced alcoholic beverage. Once the gig starts there should be no alcohol sold after that, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

petros1980 wrote: »
    Is that what I said? Twat. I don't pay 160 quid for gigs. And I'm not one of these spanners like yourself who goes to gigs just to complain about the sound quality online afterwards.

Not saying it wasn't bad last night, as there seem to be a lot of complaints. But it can't be bad at every gig held there; again unless you're a spanner who just goes looking for issues with the sound

Welcome to boards

• Advertisement

In re: Depeche Mode, I was at that gig. I had a seat all the way up in the gods and could make it out perfectly. So much so that I could even hear the embarrassed chuckle when Dave held the mike up to a young lady at the end of "Enjoy the Silence" and she scuffed her line (poor thing). I struggle to see how hearing such small sounds from the very back of the venue could be considered poor sound quality.

Also, not to get too technical but what exactly do you mean by sounded flat? I assume you mean that it wasn't loud enough rather than that it wasn't clear or that the gig was musically flat (which, unless they used a pitch shifter which I doubt, is nothing to do with the venue's sound). Or do you mean that you didn't enjoy the gig as much as you did in other places? If the latter, I can see why other venues can be more enjoyable - the 3 Arena is a big old warehouse after all, and lacks the intimacy of smaller venues - but this isn't to do with the sound quality.

It's not the only venue we have and there is plenty criticism of the 3 Arena, but just that that criticism is not due to sound quality. I mean, would I prefer to have seen Tame Impala in Vicar Street - yes. But, given that over 14,000 other people wanted to see him, it had to be a large venue and that obviously means that you lose out. It might be fairer if you compare the 3 Arena with say the Alexandra Palace in London.
    Wow tame impala is one person? That could have been embarrassing for me if I told a young person that they're a great band

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Wow tame impala is one person? That could have been embarrassing for me if I told a young person that they're a great band

Its a grey area. Its a guy who tours with a band he plays with a lot. But I think the recordings are just him, and the band have a different name

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

leahyl wrote: »
    Totally agree, the Irish insistence on being able to buy copious amounts of alcohol throughout the entire gig and missing most of it in the process :rolleyes:. I remember for Bruce Springsteen in PUC in 2013, the queues for drink outside the stadium were unreal, people were waiting 40 minutes just to get a drink and missing massive chunks of his set as a result. It can only mean that they aren't really fans surely. I mean I had never been to a Bruce Springsteen concert before then but I certianly wasn't going to miss any of it just to get an (again) overpriced alcoholic beverage. Once the gig starts there should be no alcohol sold after that, imo.

Good call...but wishful thinking. Venues will have too much to lose on sales...

But the point is well made. We can't help ourselves - we love "the craic" and it wouldn't do to be considered the proverbial dry sh*te by just going for the music.

No. We treat a gig like a big pub and yammer away. In fairness, I'm sure lots of folk do it and wonder the next day what the f*ck they were at when they can't remember any of the songs they didn't hear because they were drinking and/or chatting....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Its a grey area. Its a guy who tours with a band he plays with a lot. But I think the recordings are just him, and the band have a different name

When they walked out on stage in 3arena my OH asked me "is it a him or a them?", I said I think it's technically a him.. miliseconds later Kevin says "We are Tame Impala" and she loved telling me I was wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

leahyl wrote: »
    How do the promoters in Ireland get away with charging these prices for tickets? Is it because we are just mugs and they know we'll pay it?

Those of us who have been on Boards for a long time have a vague memory of writs being issued by one large promoter some years back because he didn't like what people were saying on this site about one of his less well organised (yet still prohibitively expensive) shows. It got to the stage, as I remember, that all mention of the company was prohibited by Mods because of fears of legal repercussions.

So much for "the customer is always right".

But then he went and ****ed up a Barbara Streisand concert and found he couldn't be as dismissive of her well heeled fans as he could for a bunch of sweaty rockers. Cause they knew lawyers too. In fact, many of them probably WERE lawyers!

Karma. :)

Anyway, careful who you slag off. Alls I'm sayin'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

ollkiller wrote: »
    Nonsense. Seen Eddie Vedder, Roger Waters twice and Black Sabbath there and the sound was fantastic. If the sound is bad it's the soundman's fault and no one else's. And that soundman would be the artist's soundman, not the house engineer.

It really is that simple.

Sound for Sabbath was spot on actually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It's a real scourge - Irish people's inability to stay seated for 2 hours without an alcoholic drink. The last few concerts I've been were awful.

Its the same at rugby matches. I mentioned the same thing on the Rugby forum after the Heineken Cup QF between Ulster and Leinster. The atmosphere at the start of the match was the best I've seen at a game and it was played with such intensity but I spent more time standing up letting people in/out do they could go to the bar was shocking. Similar to other reactions here, people think you're a dry poo if you get annoyed by people drinking and it being an inconvenience to others. By all means have your drink but please have some consideration for those who want focus their attention on what's actually going on be it a game, performance etc.

I went to see Des Bishop in a local theatre about 2 years ago and there was people literally walking across the front of the stage to go and get a round of drinks.

Personally I think it's the height of bad manners and disrespectful.

It's a real scourge - Irish people's inability to stay seated for 2 hours without an alcoholic drink. The last few concerts I've been were awful.

Its the same at rugby matches. I mentioned the same thing on the Rugby forum after the Heineken Cup QF between Ulster and Leinster. The atmosphere at the start of the match was the best I've seen at a game and it was played with such intensity but I spent more time standing up letting people in/out do they could go to the bar was shocking. Similar to other reactions here, people think you're a dry poo if you get annoyed by people drinking and it being an inconvenience to others. By all means have your drink but please have some consideration for those who want focus their attention on what's actually going on be it a game, performance etc.

I went to see Des Bishop in a local theatre about 2 years ago and there was people literally walking across the front of the stage to go and get a round of drinks.

At one point during Eddie Vedder I had a look around and it was like the gig was over..at least 1000 people just walking around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Irish concert tickets are Giffen Goods. The more expensive they are, the higher the demand. Every knobhead will turn up for Stevie Wonder. He sits on the stage, playing his favourite songs and people think it is amazing. Joke's on you.

It is an Irish trait. Irish people love getting one up on the neighbours, small town mentality. One of the many, many reasons I left Ireland. and have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

IIRC, Christy Moore used to ask for the bar to be closed during his gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Irish concert tickets are Giffen Goods. The more expensive they are, the higher the demand. Every knobhead will turn up for Stevie Wonder. He sits on the stage, playing his favourite songs and people think it is amazing. Joke's on you.

It is an Irish trait. Irish people love getting one up on the neighbours, small town mentality. One of the many, many reasons I left Ireland. and have never looked back.

Seriously what a sh1te and bitter post. All proven wrong by gig not being sold out. Tickets were still available yesterday.

You looked back just now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Those of us who have been on Boards for a long time have a vague memory of writs being issued by one large promoter some years back because he didn't like what people were saying on this site about one of his less well organised (yet still prohibitively expensive) shows. It got to the stage, as I remember, that all mention of the company was prohibited by Mods because of fears of legal repercussions.

So much for "the customer is always right".

But then he went and ****ed up a Barbara Streisand concert and found he couldn't be as dismissive of her well heeled fans as he could for a bunch of sweaty rockers. Cause they knew lawyers too. In fact, many of them probably WERE lawyers!

Karma. :)

Anyway, careful who you slag off. Alls I'm sayin'

You must be joking?! Hardly slagged them off now in fairness?! Just spoke the truth. Nothing I said is in any way libellous. I didn’t mention any particular promoter either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its obvious from that video clip that that his mic is being kept low , for whatever reason ,

the rest sounds good

id blame the engineer

maximoose wrote: »
    When they walked out on stage in 3arena my OH asked me "is it a him or a them?", I said I think it's technically a him.. miliseconds later Kevin says "We are Tame Impala" and she loved telling me I was wrong :pac:

He was using the royal "we"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Peter File wrote: »
    Sound engineer for the artist is at fault. Acoustics are excellent in the 3arena. Lazy sound engineers are the problem for poor sound in there.

The acoustics are not great in the 3 arena.... due to the physicals of the room...even though it has been improved since the point. the issue is a lot of touring engineers dont have the skill / desire to compensate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I left Ireland and never looked back. Well, apart from staying on Boards, obviously, to comment gleefully on the ****ness of Irish life. Way to not look back, buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

looks like it's the whole show with the DJ set and the backing singers taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MattressRick

More like keeping in touch with home if you're still on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Anyone know the name of the DJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What possible enjoyment could you get standing there like a dick holding your phone for 2+ hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Now that's quite a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Wooderson wrote: »
    Loads of silly bucketlisters bigging this one up. It was a mess. One of the worst shows ive seen.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

ooter wrote: »
    when he was speaking i literally couldn't hear a word he was saying, sound was dreadful. but when he sang he was brilliant, for once in my life was quality.
    didn't get the DJ bit or the backing singers, looked to me like they were just trying to fill time to get it over the 2 hour mark. that thing SW did with the yoke in his mouth was baffling and then fluting around on the other instrument for about 10 mins before finally playing imagine was.:confused::confused:

Its called jamming, musicians do it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Having a good laugh at all the complainers on here, you all sound like you've never been to a gig before. It's Stevie Wonder ffs(a blind 70 year old with health issues) he's aloud to have a break. As someone who works as a sound engineer if the sound quality is good in a youtube video then it has to even better there in person.

Advertisement