Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

mickdw wrote: »
    Higgins gets to 3 world finals in a row and people are saying he should hang up his cue.
    He may decide to retire but i don't see why people think he needs to.

Crazy talk indeed. He's had an abysmal season to be fair, but he's the most mentally tough player I think playing today. I think the final is all but over, but if anyone can mount a comeback, it's Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

I cant see Higgins coming back from that. Trump was on fire yesterday and just needs to be steady today and get over the line. Too much for Higgins to make up.

On another note, 2 sessions for next years quarter finals booked this morning with no problems. Itll be my first visit to the Crucible so already looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

mickdw wrote: »
    Higgins gets to 3 world finals in a row and people are saying he should hang up his cue.
    He may decide to retire but i don't see why people think he needs to.

Indeed. Higgins has reached his third final in a row, defeating hot favourite Neil Robertson en route, and treating viewers to a classic match against David Gilbert. He has made 11 centuries in the tournament so far, 8 of them breaks of 125+. He also has the highest break of the tournament with a 143.

I hope Higgins doesn't retire. With all this talk of the "young lads" taking over, there aren't many younger players who could hold a candle to John Higgins. He is still a formidable force in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

What time is the final resuming?

eric hoone wrote: »
    What time is the final resuming?

2 pm

kerry37 wrote: »
    I cant see Higgins coming back from that. Trump was on fire yesterday and just needs to be steady today and get over the line. Too much for Higgins to make up.

The pressure is completely off Higgins now, because he has already been written off as the loser. Meanwhile, the pressure is on Trump to get over the finish line. It will be interesting to see how that affects the dynamic. I at very least hope John can play well this afternoon and take us to an evening session.
    On another note, 2 sessions for next years quarter finals booked this morning with no problems. Itll be my first visit to the Crucible so already looking forward to it.

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

While I want Judd to win I also want a decent match, hopefully Higgins wins the afternoon session to take us to an evening session.

The pressure is completely off Higgins now, because he has already been written off as the loser. Meanwhile, the pressure is on Trump to get over the finish line. It will be interesting to see how that affects the dynamic. I at very least hope John can play well this afternoon and take us to an evening session.

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy. :)

Would agree with all of that. Would like to see him make a match of the evening session if nothing else regardless of which goes on to win it.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Anything less than 6-2 to Higgins this afternoon and it's basically finished, Hendry White 1993 the last and probably only time so far it was decided in the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Anything less than 6-2 to Higgins this afternoon and it's basically finished, Hendry White 1993 the last and probably only time so far it was decided in the afternoon.

Steve Davis beat Cliff Thorburn 18-6 in 1983 and John Parrott 18-3 in 1989, both finals ending with a session to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Davis did it to Thorburn I think in 1983......??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Still not beyond Judd to get twitchy here imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not a fan of that flashy intro for the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who picked that song lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's Barry Hearn for you. It's even worse in the darts.

• Advertisement

Me neither. Hearn lifted it from darts with the walk-on music, etc., and it doesn't work for snooker.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Still not beyond Judd to get twitchy here imo.

I'm sure there'll be nerves but I can't see anything but a comprehensive win for Judd. I was watching a few of last night's frames again this morning and he was unplayable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Whoa, maybe he's no Romeo
    But he's my lovin' one-man show
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

And maybe he sings off key
    But that's alright by me
    Because what he does he does so well
    Makes me wanna yell

So cringe

If, and that's a big IF, there's no evening session, do people get a refund?

It's early in the break, but the reds have fanned out lovely. Just one difficult red on the cushion. 147 is definitely on. I'd say Higgins knows that's probably his best bet on winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The only hope Higgins has I feel is that Trump crumbles when faced with finally winning the WC after being expected to do so for almost a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Holy jaysus!

That's a good double. Then misses a sitter on the final black after the reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Great first frame from Higgins. Great effort for the 147, can’t believe he missed that black!

Good lord what a shot

And misses a handy black. Great start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ugh jaysus.

Great first frame from Higgins. Great effort for the 147, can’t believe he missed that black!

Yeh, easy enough shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

a a a a a a a a a r r r r r r rhhhhhhhh
    After the double I thought it was guaranteed

The brown beside the green may have posed a problem for the 147 anyway.

Deserved the maximum for that shot alone.

Higgins has 4 centuries, when Robertson won in 2010 his highest break was 90.

• Advertisement

At least Higgins still has the high break prize. Can't believe he missed the black though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

walshb wrote: »
    Yeh, easy enough shot!

Seemed he totally lost concentration after the unbelievable shot on the red.

Higgins won the first frame of yesterday evening's session and we know what happened after that.

No Ken, it wasn't a good shot and Trump punished it.

The commentators talk such rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Great frame to steal by Higgins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That was a typical Higgins frame there.
    This is bubbling along nicely 12-7 Trump.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ken doesn't know what he's talking about.

Good chance for Trump, needs to put a halt early to any possible come back after Higgins took the first two

• Advertisement

Fair play to Trump deserves that frame after the yellow in the middle.
    13-7 Trump his 12th century of the tournament - equal to Higgins.

Trump unstoppable. Higgins safety can't keep him out

14-7 Trump at the interval.

Higgins needs a comeback like Hendry back in 1992.
    Trump is motoring 14-7 this could be over shortly.

Took trump a few minutes to get his head into it. Back into yesterdays form now. Not looking good for John at all. Commentators saying he was in the same position last year and got close but trump is playing too well for similar to happen this year. Cracking final and standard very high. Great viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I missed Higgins potential maximum break earlier. I heard the groans from the audience & I had the feeling that I missed something that was going to be really big. Ah well. I never see a 147 happening on live TV because when I see it being played out in live play; there is some player there that bottles their plan up in front of the fans & it's gutting to see it not happen. I think I had seen a potential 147 on live TV would have been on the masters earlier this season. Still hard luck to Higgins though for missing out on the maximum break earlier. If he gets another chance to do another one in this session or in the evening session tonight it will be great to see it live.

Trump now is at 14-7 to Higgins at the mid-session interval. 4 frames left for Trump to become the World Champ in Snooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This will be an early night. May just make it to the evening session.

Higgins needs a comeback like Hendry back in 1992.
    Trump is motoring 14-7 this could be over shortly.

I’ll never forget that..

14-8 down...10 in a row...wtf, Jimmy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Terry Griffiths is retiring from punditry. I hope he has a great life of coaching from home. He will be missed from all of the venues shown on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What a lovely fella Terry is

The Nal wrote: »
    What a lovely fella Terry is

Even Hendry likes him, and he hates most people! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement