Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Bing falls across the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bing falls across the line

Four balls left, give him the chance and he'll foul three times somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good man Stuart, got over the line in the end.

Not a huge Dott fan but feel bad for him watching him interviewed, looks so (understandably) emotional and disappointed.

Incredible comeback and a real fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Somehow the most boring cueman turned the most one-sided boring game into something exciting! Fair play to Dott but I wouldn't be betting money on Bingham to progress, he was really poor today.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is it off-topic if I post a video linked from an article posted on this thread...? :)

But.... just look at this..!

Yes I know that pockets may be a bit less generous today, but still. Out of position on every shot in the first half of the break. Didn't matter.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think Ronnie had a very heavy cold/virus or something

He did in his hole. Illness doesn't explain his immature demeanour and crazy shot selection throughout. Glad he's out, he deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Ardent wrote: »
    He did in his hole. Illness doesn't explain his immature demeanour and crazy shot selection throughout. Glad he's out, he deserved it.

Glad he's out too, he's always moaning about something and how tough he's had it blah blah blah.
    I can see Selby going the whole way again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

With Ronnie's past mental problems, of course it could. He said he's not felt right since the Tour Championship, very tired, and "heavy limbs, like lead". Despite his healthy lifestyle, he did not look right, and should definitely go to a doctor, but all that is personal stuff. To see the way he celebrated winning the most recent UK Championship proves these things still mean something to him. If he was feeling 100% mentally and physically, why would he choose to blow a chance at another World title? The logical answer is he simply wasn't feeling 100%, or possibly anywhere close to it.

Today's order of play:

10am
    Barry Hawkins v Li Hang
    Judd Trump 3 v 6 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh (final session)

2:30pm
    Kyren Wilson v Scott Donaldson
    Mark Allen 2 v 7 Zhou Yuelong

7pm
    Barry Hawkins v Li Hang (final session)
    Jack Lisowski v Ali Carter

By the end of today, we should have two, possibly three more Asian players in the second round. Very interested in Wilson/Donaldson, I really like both players. I hope Lisowski smashes Carter out of the tournament.

Judd Trump storming back this morning which is great to see. 6-7 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Did you see him though he had a big red head head on him looked really lethargic and was rubbing his eyes. He looked like he could barely keep his eyes open.
    He also was not as lively in his post match interviews as he was recently.

Despite this, the fella rallied towards the end great century, and only for being the wrong side of the pink could have been going 9-9 and who knows what would have happened then?
    Ronnie's antics annoy me as much as the next person, but on this occasion the fella looked genuinely shattered.

But that Cahill guy showed plenty of courage though that brown he potted last frame was great under pressure.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Trump slapped himself in the face it seems and streamrolled through to take it to a decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

9-9 trump un-nooh, toss of a coin now

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Trump comes through, might be his year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eric hoone wrote: »
    Trump comes through, might be his year...
    Fair play to Frank who almost called the shock. Never did I think Judd would be run so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Mark Allen is playing some of the worst snooker of his career at the moment. The rate of deterioration of his game in the last few months is remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ken Doherty and Fergal O'Brien tipped Allan as a possible winner this year on Game On last night on 2fm. Doherty said he was playing unbelievable snooker in practise sessions. Allan hasn't brought that to the Crucible. I think Doherty also said he withdrew from the China Open to prepare for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sligeach wrote: »
    Ken Doherty and Fergal O'Brien tipped Allan as a possible winner this year on Game On last night on 2fm. Doherty said he was playing unbelievable snooker in practise sessions. Allan hasn't brought that to the Crucible. I think Doherty also said he withdrew from the China Open to prepare for this.

They alluded to possible "personal issues" on Eurosport last night :confused:

The Nal wrote: »
    They alluded to possible "personal issues" on Eurosport last night :confused:

Ya, Hendry said that too during one of the intervals between frames. Does anyone know what the personal issues were? He did an awful lot of boozing around the Masters and the Scottish Open the following week. He has an unhealthy lifestyle, he's hardly the model of fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Allen looking better now as he knocks in a 131 break to pull it back to 9-6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Allen looking better now as he knocks in a 131 break to pull it back to 9-6.

Had the same experience as with Dott-Bingham last night. Thought it was nearly over only to turn the tv on an hour and a half later to find it still going...

7-9, Allen has found his game. Never doubted him.

He did an awful lot of boozing around the Masters and the Scottish Open the following week.
    What? The Scottish Open, which he won while drinking every night, happened a month before the Masters.

What? The Scottish Open, which he won while drinking every night, happened a month before the Masters.

Mixed up dates and events. He lost the final of the UK championship and then won the Scottish Open while out on the piss most nights the following week.

Mixed up dates and events. He lost the final of the UK championship and then won the Scottish Open while out on the piss most nights the following week.
    Yeah. I bet a lot of players wish they could do something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone else find Allen throughly unlikable? Talent aside, I severely doubt he'll be near the top of the game in 5 years time.

Well, that's it. Allen loses 10-7. The top players have really struggled in the first round this year.

Bit of a fighter Zhou Yuelong. Showed a lot of composure there for 21 years old.

Thoroughly enjoyed that match, great battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Missed a lot of the last couple of days with all the traveling but looking forward to heading to the Crucible again tomorrow.

Ronnie going out is very disappointing but he doesn’t seem to have another Worlds in him. Been a long time since he’s gone close now.

I fancied Allen for a good run so a pity to see him go out as well.

Is anyone playing well bar Robertson and Murphy. Really seems very open at this stage.

• Advertisement

Robertson and Murphy both played well, but neither was under any pressure.

I was impressed by Ding in his match against McGill. Would love to see him win it.

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone else find Allen throughly unlikable? Talent aside, I severely doubt he'll be near the top of the game in 5 years time.

Ah he seems like a bit of a battling type player and calls a spade a spade from his own viewpoint.
    Shaun Murphy is the fella that really winds me up with that dull self-righteous tone he has, and I always get the impression that he rarely says what he thinks only says what he thinks people want to hear.
    Then there is his constant use of the phrase 'our game' which is annoying it is like as if he sees himself as defender of the snooker faith.

Bit of a fighter Zhou Yuelong. Showed a lot of composure there for 21 years old.

Thoroughly enjoyed that match, great battle.

I am delighted for Zhou must be hard coming all the way over to an English speaking country in itself.
    He has some very different shot selection to most which makes him interesting to watch.
    That safety shot he played where he nestled up to the blue surprised everyone.
    Great potter and tactical player I hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Shaun Murphy is the fella that really winds me up

Barry Hawkins is the same for me. I don’t know why, but he just annoys me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I am delighted for Zhou must be hard coming all the way over to an English speaking country in itself.
    He has some very different shot selection to most which makes him interesting to watch.
    That safety shot he played where he nestled up to the blue surprised everyone.
    Great potter and tactical player I hope he does well.

Agree with that. I'd be one who tends to be hard on the asian players on account they tend to be hyped up after winning a few matches, but it has to be a disadvantage for them to have to move away from home at such a young age in order to make it on the circuit. Remember ding when he first arrived, basically on his own without a word of english, took some guts i reckon and always surprised he hasnt done more in the game given courage and determination that showed. Zhou looks a cool enough customer alright, that trickle up behind blue was a proper match winner, decent chance of following up against lisowski/carter i reckon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah he seems like a bit of a battling type player and calls a spade a spade from his own viewpoint.
    Shaun Murphy is the fella that really winds me up with that dull self-righteous tone he has, and I always get the impression that he rarely says what he think only says what he thinks people want to hear.
    Then there is his constant use of the phrase 'our game' which is annoying it is like as if he sees himself as defender of the snooker faith.

By all accounts Shaun Murphy is a very decent fella. He practices In Celbridge these days so a few friends of mine know him well and speak very highly of him. Always willing to chat about snooker and offer advice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nothing at all against Murphy, he's honest about his own shortcomings which he has tried to address and with some success i think, but i just cant give him a prayer of beating robertson, his first round whitewash of Luo Honghao notwithstanding. My confidence in him further eroded when i saw him turning up with Richard Osman for the "House of Frames" segment on the bbc today. Maybe a small thing, but personally i'd rather leave that stuff until if or when his involvement in the tournament is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

5-4 to Carter overnight

Top half:

Mark Williams v David Gilbert
    Barry Hawkins v Kyren Wilson (or Donaldson, if can he make a big comeback)
    John Higgins v Stuart Bingham
    Shaun Murphy v Neil Robertson

Bottom half:

Mark Selby v Gary Wilson
    Jack Lisowski/Ali Carter v Zhou Yuelong
    Judd Trump v Ding Junhui
    Stephen Maguire v James Cahill

It was said the bottom half was the tougher half of the draw, but that's where all the shocks have been, with 3 (possibly 4) seeds going out in the opening round. The top half has been predictable, with all 8 seeds going through, bar a Donaldson comeback against Wilson. You would say Robertson, Murphy, and Hawkins have been the most impressive, with their dominant wins, but all three of their wins were against Crucible debutants. A Trump, Yuelong, or Cahill World Champion or runner-up, would be huge for the sport, for different reasons. One of them against Williams in the final, would be great. I'd be reasonably happy with any final that doesn't include Higgins/Bingham/Maguire/Carter.

Tomorrow's order of play:

1pm
    Jack Lisowski 4 v 5 Ali Carter (final session)
    Shaun Murphy v Neil Robertson (R2, best-of-25, 1st session)

7pm
    Kyren Wilson 6 v 2 Scott Donaldson (final session)
    Mark Selby v Gary Wilson (R2, best-of-25, 1st session)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

weemcd wrote: »

Don't like him at all, never have. He has bags of talent though, and this performance aside, he was looking like a strong candidate to win this tournament. Seriously tough player. I find him quite negative though, on and off the table, can't really watch him.
    Barry Hawkins is the same for me. I don’t know why, but he just annoys me!

Conversely, I think Barry is a complete gent. Would love to see him lift the trophy. With Ronnie now gone, who knows - he tends to do quite strongly at the Crucible.
    Brian? wrote: »
    By all accounts Shaun Murphy is a very decent fella. He practices In Celbridge these days so a few friends of mine know him well and speak very highly of him. Always willing to chat about snooker and offer advice.

Another absolute gent, would love to see Shaun get his game together and go far.

With Ronnie & Allen gone, this might come down to Selby/Trump/Robertson to lift the trophy. Would dearly love to see Higgins win though, he's been a finalist two years in a row, though that seems to have taken a massive toll on his game. I don't really like to talk about what-if's-but'-maybe's, but if he had won those two finals, he'd now be equal with Ronnie on 5 WC's.

Inviere wrote: »
    Would dearly love to see Higgins win though, he's been a finalist two years in a row, though that seems to have taken a massive toll on his game. I don't really like to talk about what-if's-but'-maybe's, but if he had won those two finals, he'd now be equal with Ronnie on 5 WC's.
    If Higgins won those two finals, he'd be ahead of Ronnie, with six World titles. Higgins has won it four times, in '98, '07, '09, and '11. He was runner-up in 3 other finals, '01, '17, and '18.

• Advertisement

If Higgins won those two finals, he'd be ahead of Ronnie, with six World titles. Higgins has won it four times, in '98, '07, '09, and '11. He was runner-up in 3 other finals, '01, '17, and '18.

Indeed, my bad. But for a few frames, he'd be in a totally different conversation. For me, he's one of the greatest players ever, certainly in match play. So so strong. Even his comeback last year against Williams, while it didn't work out, it was inspiring to watch. He's had a terrible run of late, akin to Shaun Murphy, but fingers crossed there's a few wins left in him.

Higgins looks so worn out to me. He's got incredibly pale, gray, and tired. It's hard to believe he's only 43 — he could easily pass for 55. I'm just not sure after losing two finals on the trot whether he still has the will to win another WC. I'd like to believe he's a contender, but if he gets past Bingham in the second round (which he probably will, given how terribly Bingham is playing) he will have to face Robertson or Murphy in the quarterfinals, and that will be a real test.

Agreed he looks physically and mentally exhausted, has done for a while. Needs to do a Ronnie and take a year off then come straight back and become World Champ :o

Robertson looks in formidable form. A 106 break wins him the first frame.

3-1 to Robertson at the midsession interval. Murphy did well to win the fourth frame, considering he didn't pot a ball in the first three.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Quick question to anyone in the know. I am in Manchester on Saturday and was half thinking I could tick a box on the bucket list by going to the Crucible on Sunday night but I'm assuming there would be zero chance of getting a ticket. Nothing on the online touts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

mewso wrote: »
    Quick question to anyone in the know. I am in Manchester on Saturday and was half thinking I could tick a box on the bucket list by going to the Crucible on Sunday night but I'm assuming there would be zero chance of getting a ticket. Nothing on the online touts anyway.

If you're there anyway, just go to the box office. If you're not bothered about what match you see, theres usually loads available until the later rounds when it starts to sell out.

Currently Sunday is showing as sold out.

https://www.cruciblesnooker.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah not sure if it's worth the risk of booking hotel etc. just to end up standing outside by the rope watching Davis and Parrot chat to Hazel. Oh well always next year.

Yeah not sure if it's worth the risk of booking hotel etc. just to end up standing outside by the rope watching Davis and Parrot chat to Hazel. Oh well always next year.

There's no harm in ringing the box office to ask. But yeah, probably not worth booking a hotel to go there if you don't have a ticket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement