Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

To me Murphy is the most up his own arse, unlikable player on the tour.

I seriously cant stand the bloke, like his face annoys me, just the way his mouth sits, his big up talk, the way he saunters around the table an absolute cnut imo.

And his analysis is bollox as well, a couple pf years ago they did a thing where Davies and Hendry and him sit around talking about players, psychoanalyzing the talent. Ill get behind to greats like Steve and Stephen but Murphy cant go **** right off.

Ive had a bad day and it shows, id hope anyone attending the crucible would get a see a 147 and if someone else asked which i doubt to lift the curtain i probably wouldn't mind but him does my head in.

He is a decent player on his day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I agree with last sentence of above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

To me Murphy is the most up his own arse, unlikable player on the tour.

I seriously cant stand the bloke, like his face annoys me, just the way his mouth sits, his big up talk, the way he saunters around the table an absolute cnut imo.

And his analysis is bollox as well, a couple pf years ago they did a thing where Davies and Hendry and him sit around talking about players, psychoanalyzing the talent. Ill get behind to greats like Steve and Stephen but Murphy cant go **** right off.

Ive had a bad day and it shows, id hope anyone attending the crucible would get a see a 147 and if someone else asked which i doubt to lift the curtain i probably wouldn't mind but him does my head in.

He is a decent player on his day though.

I'm not sure I follow you.

Tell us how you really feel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Johnson_76

anyone know how to watch online with commentary ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Murphy shouldn't be allowed to comment on other players or matches while he is still playing in a tournament. It's quite disrespectful towards other players. He is not even that good a Pundit. Watching him playing now he seems disinterested in the match, Robertson will have an early night the way things are going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Looking ominous for Murphy already tonight. Robertson made a 120 break to go 11-6 ahead, and now he's back at the table in excellent position.

12-6 to Robertson now, and Murphy still hasn't potted a ball this evening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Robertson means business tonight

And that's it. Robertson goes through 13-6, and will play either Bingham or Higgins in the quarterfinals. He's in formidable form -- Murphy scored a grand total of one point this evening.

Maguire seems pretty frustrated in this match, Cahill stole the last frame

• Advertisement

Silly mistake there by Cahill, missing the brown when he was 22 ahead with 22 left. Those four points let Maguire win the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Very poor shots and positioning from both, that was criminal from Cahill on the brown

Edit: the miss on the brown was bad too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The world champion checked himself into a&e following his match, complaining of chest pains. Hope he is ok, and back playing tommorow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Murphy shouldn't be allowed to comment on other players or matches while he is still playing in a tournament. It's quite disrespectful towards other players. He is not even that good a Pundit. Watching him playing now he seems disinterested in the match, Robertson will have an early night the way things are going!

I'd agree he's not really a great pundit, but dont see any issue with it if that's what he wants to do, only that i dont think it can do any good for his own game. Gives me the impression he's as keen to cement his long-term place on the bbc team as he is to rejuvenate his playing career and i'd wonder how that has affected his focus. Also, he takes his role as chairman of the players committee very seriously and i imagine that takes up quite a bit of his time as well. They're his choices and i wouldnt have a problem with them.

Desperate stuff from Stephen Maguire tonight. Playing a rookie, albeit one who knocked the tournament favourite out previous round, and looks like his head is about to explode. Bags of talent, but no temperament at all to go with it. Shame really. Nearly fancy Cahill to go on and win from here if he just keeps head together and takes chances when they inevitably come his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Reverse jinx or what, Maguire winning the last two, the second with a 121 break. Still all to play for though.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Think Robertson is way too short myself.

He’s playing decent obviously but Murphy had tons of chances. Lost 3-4 frames he was 50+ up in along with playing some poor safety in tactical exchanges.

He really could have gone close in that match if he played smarter and closed out chances in the first two sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I have to disagree with you here. Shaun is a very nice fella and has been battling a lot of other issues (as has Robbo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He can commentate, analyze and say what he likes when he's no longer a competitor in the tournament.

Scrap the cap!

Reverse jinx or what, Maguire winning the last two, the second with a 121 break. Still all to play for though.

Yes I have the knack! Maguire should be winning of course, but just cant have a whole lot of faith in him at this stage.

Selby-Wilson could go all the way this morning. Selby looked in the groove for a time yesterday but Wilson admirably refused to buckle. Am on selby in that half of draw, but cant be too confident right now. Just hope the bbc relax the taxi driver stuff a bit today, or will be quick switcheroo across to eurosport even if its phil at the controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jesus the lad on Eurosport commentating on the Maguire Cahill match last night would give Dennis Taylor a serious run for his money in the ‘breathing into the mic’ competition. Very distracting once you notice it, you can’t not hear it then every few seconds :o

Hopefully Wilson can see Selby out here, neither player is super consistent though. I still see Robertson getting the job done, he’ll take some serious playing to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Long match here with Selby and Wilson which has been slow and methodical.

Selby in big big trouble now though with Wilson likely to take a 12-10 lead with 13 the lucky number.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, Wilson misses a fairly handy shot and Selby has an opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, Selby/Wilson is a bit of an old skool Crucible ordeal. Gripping stuff though. Hope Wilson wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Long match here with Selby and Wilson which has been slow and methodical.

Selby in big big trouble now though with Wilson likely to take a 12-10 lead with 13 the lucky number.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, Wilson misses a fairly handy shot and Selby has an opening.

You were right the first time:P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I know a lot of people would be bored out of their minds watching that frame, but I enjoyed it.

You were right the first time:P

Haha so true. I thought about deleting the edit. And then Selby lost it again. And then Wilson. And then Selby again! :)

Tactical slow snooker at its best. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Really enjoying this audioless BBC coverage from the back of the auditorium! I think I can just about make out Mark Selby at the table?

Selby smashing his knuckles off the table after missing that pot in anger. Could and probably is game over for the Jester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Selby out, nowhere near the level he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Great to see slowby and his dire brand of snooker sent packing. Jester my eye, i'd rather watch paint dry.

Selby smashing his knuckles off the table after missing that pot in anger. Could and probably is game over for the Jester.

No second thoughts this time.:p

Trump must be looking at this half of the draw thinking "I'd take any of those guys"...

Selby out, nowhere near the level he was

Yeah it’s strange, he was nearly bulletproof for quite a few seasons, but for whatever reason, he’s making mistakes now, and not able to turn on the pressure cooker like he could do. Glad for Wilson though, fair dues.

Big fan of Selby but no issue with Wilson going through, played very well for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Delighted for Wilson he played both sides of the game well safety and potting. Also seemed very assured, did not get rattled at all which was amazing.
    I got to be honest I never really heard of him until now. :o
    But he is 15 years a pro and even considered giving up snooker at one stage and he worked as a taxi driver.
    I'm a sucker for stories like that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

tanko wrote: »
    Great to see slowby and his dire brand of snooker sent packing. Jester my eye, i'd rather watch paint dry.

Ah he is good to watch when he plays a player of contrasting styles like Ronnie.
    It becomes fascinating to see what happens.
    But I wouldn't be rushing to see an Ebdon v Selby match in fairness.....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not surprised to see Selby go out, given how poorly he's played all season.

His "grinder" approach is generally more successful over the long matches at the Crucible, but not this year. Well played, Wilson.

Williams missed frame ball at 68-0 up to level at 8-8, but Gilbert did well to win the frame and end the session at 9-7.

If Williams loses, that will be the world number 1, 2, and 3 all out before the quarterfinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

oh dear that's a bit of a mini disaster for Williams not to level there. Not sure if that red rolled off or if he just misjudged it. Maybe both.

Strange because i thought selby played some really good snooker in that match. His total clearance in the 12th frame yesterday might well go down as the break of the tournament. Academic now cos he's gone and in truth, began to miss so many easy ones it wasn't undeserved. Wilson has been the bottle player so far, including the qualifiers, so all credit due to him. Carter looking good in that section for me, though.

• Advertisement

Two frames in a row from Cahill to level at 9-9. He's looking very confident and composed out there.

Two frames in a row from Cahill to level at 9-9. He's looking very confident and composed out there.

And some red into the corner to get going in this frame, if he meant it of course!

Woe Maguire's blown this frame big time:eek:

Woe Maguire's blown this frame big time:eek:

Both of them doing their best to lose this one!

But it's Maguire who takes it eventually to lead 10-9. Cahill needs to level again here to have a fighting chance after the interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He is painful to watch.
    JV really needs to go. How can they let a man who doesn't open his mouth when he speaks commentate on snooker? Bring back Big Willy
    Is Robertson wearing a wig?
    I'd love to see Cahill beat Maguire. Maguire looks like he'd rather be any where else, preferably the pub or chipper.

But it's Maguire who takes it eventually to lead 10-9. Cahill needs to level again here to have a fighting chance after the interval.

And he does:)

Painful to watch. The way he constantly looks up to his friends in the stands irks me too.

Cahill has a decent chance here. Maguire looks beyond pissed off. I'd say he could keep Dr. Steve Peters busy for many a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

If Maguire had a better temperament surely he would have won more ranking events than he has, because he has the talent. It's a real weakness of his.

Advertisement