Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I even capable of 2k gaming with my current build?

Options
  • 08-04-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

My current build
    Mobo: Asus Prime B450M-A Micro ATX
    CPU: Ryzen 2600x
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (16gb)
    GPU: RX 580 Armor 8gb
    The monitor I plan to get: Dell 27” 2560x1440 @155hz with AMD Freesync
    (If any other specs are required please let me know)

I know my set up isn’t ideal but my questions are

1. Exactly how far off am I from being able to do 1440p 155hz gaming with a high frame rate on high settings?

2.Should I just go for 1080p monitor for now and eventually upgrade gpu, cpu etc until I can use the 2k monitor to its full potential?

3. Will I need to replace ALL of the above components and more in order to use the 2k monitor to its full potential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    My current build
    Mobo: Asus Prime B450M-A Micro ATX
    CPU: Ryzen 2600x
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (16gb)
    GPU: RX 580 Armor 8gb
    The monitor I plan to get: Dell 27” 2560x1440 @155hz with AMD Freesync
    (If any other specs are required please let me know)

I know my set up isn’t ideal but my questions are

1. Exactly how far off am I from being able to do 1440p 155hz gaming with a high frame rate on high settings?

2.Should I just go for 1080p monitor for now and eventually upgrade gpu, cpu etc until I can use the 2k monitor to its full potential?

3. Will I need to replace ALL of the above components and more in order to use the 2k monitor to its full potential?

What games are you playing at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As said in the other thread - get that 1440p165Hz Dell monitor now, upgrade the GPU later, and upgrade to Ryzen 3000-series CPU *if* they turn out to be super fast (4.5GHz+).

For now though, the Dell is a huge upgrade over whatever you have, and you can utilize FreeSync to mitigate lower framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think I've ever seen anyone start so many treads about building a PC :pac: can we get a LeeMaher super thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

will56 wrote: »
    What games are you playing at the moment ?

I haven’t finished making the PC yet, only things left to buy are the cpu, ram and monitor.
    I plan on playing things like Civ 6, Total War, Dead By Daylight, GTA, Skyrim and then some of the upcoming AAA games like Days Gone, Dying Light 2, CyberPunk etc

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    As said in the other thread - get that 1440p165Hz Dell monitor now, upgrade the GPU later, and upgrade to Ryzen 3000-series CPU *if* they turn out to be super fast (4.5GHz+).

For now though, the Dell is a huge upgrade over whatever you have, and you can utilize FreeSync to mitigate lower framerate.

What kinda gpu would I be looking to upgrade to? Like a 2060?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone start so many treads about building a PC :pac: can we get a LeeMaher super thread ;)

Lol I’m sorry if I’m spamming you guys with the same ol **** every day but it’s my first time building a pc and its been a life long ambition that I could only recently start working towards so I just wanna make sure I get the best parts possible to lay the foundations for a high end gaming rig =P

Lol I’m sorry if I’m spamming you guys with the same ol **** every day but it’s my first time building a pc and its been a life long ambition that I could only recently start working towards so I just wanna make sure I get the best parts possible to lay the foundations for a high end gaming rig =P

I built my first PC before Christmas. I've a 1080 monitor for the minute but have it paired with a 2060 and a 1700x. I'm very happy with it.

No matter what you go with you'll be happy but don't be worrying about it now because once you have it built it'll be much cheaper to upgrade in the future.

I built my first PC before Christmas. I've a 1080 monitor for the minute but have it paired with a 2060 and a 1700x. I'm very happy with it.

No matter what you go with you'll be happy but don't be worrying about it now because once you have it built it'll be much cheaper to upgrade in the future.

Sounds like a nice build!
    Just noticed the 1700x currently has a big discount on Amazon down from £530 to £160 whereas the 2600x would cost me £180.
    Would you say the 1700x is far superior?

Sounds like a nice build!
    Just noticed the 1700x currently has a big discount on Amazon down from £530 to £160 whereas the 2600x would cost me £180.

I paid €183 for mine in November from Overclockers including shipping so I wouldn't put much pass in that RRP because it hasn't been that high in a long time I'd guess.

Get the 2600x because it's newer, a little faster and better at gaming.

I paid €183 for mine in November from Overclockers including shipping so I wouldn't put much pass in that RRP because it hasn't been that high in a long time I'd guess.

What RAM and Mobo are you using? I’m struggling to decide if its worth paying the extra €30 for 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro or stick with my original choice of 16gb Ballistix Sport LT

• Advertisement

What RAM and Mobo are you using? I’m struggling to decide if its worth paying the extra €30 for 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro or stick with my original choice of 16gb Ballistix Sport LT

I've only an AS Rock AB350 Pro. But I've 32GB of Ballistic Sport 3000MHz ram that I got for £110 on Amazon because of a price mistake.

I've only an AS Rock AB350 Pro. But I've 32GB of Ballistic Sport 3000MHz ram that I got for £110 on Amazon because of a price mistake.

Would you recommend the Ballistix Sport? The one I was looking at is 16gb @2666mhz, the reason I was gonna fork out the extra €30 for the Vengeance RGB Pro is the 3000mhz speed and I prefer the aesthetics of the RGB Pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1 - Pretty far off unless you're playing old games. You're sort of expecting a lot, from a little.

2 - Yes, it makes a lot more sense, or else just go for a 1440P 60hz monitor. I don't get why you're willing to drop a seriously large amount of cash on the monitor but want to cheap out on the PC? Doesn't make much sense. It's like buying a racing bike but investing all the cash into the saddle.

3 - Just the GPU mainly, though AMD CPU's are not as good at high framerates as Intel. A 9600K or 9700K is the ideal 144hz CPU right now. But the AMD will do, only if you have a seriously high end graphics card will it make a very big difference. The RX580 is miles off, so it won't make any difference with that card. You would really be looking at RTX2070/2080 card levels for CPU to play a major role.
    Would you recommend the Ballistix Sport? The one I was looking at is 16gb @2666mhz, the reason I was gonna fork out the extra €30 for the Vengeance RGB Pro is the 3000mhz speed and I prefer the aesthetics of the RGB Pro

Get the fastest ram you can afford up to 3200mhz, it makes a difference on high framerate systems.

No, the 2600X is way better for gaming.

Lastly, your budget is all over the place. You're planning on dropping a huge amount on a high end monitor but then cheap out on the PC? Do it the other way around. Get yourself a solid system now and just save up for a better monitor.

If you just tell us what your budget is, it will be easier to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen loves faster RAM, and if you like the aesthetics you might as well get them.

Also this "first PC worry" is quite normal - not every day you drop a grand on something!
    Personally, I went back-and-forth for days between CPUs/GPUs before deciding (last-minute) on a Xeon 1231v3 + GTX 970 (instead of i7-4790+GTX 960).

Doesn't matter now as I've since replaced upgraded:
    • CPU (Xeon 1231v3 -> i7-5820K)
    • Motherboard (GA-X99M-GAMING 5)
    • GPU (GTX 970 -> 980 Ti -> 1080)
    • PSU (Chieftec Navitas -> Corsair RM750 -> EVGA 850GQ)
    • Case (Thermaltake Core V21 -> Silverstone KL06 -> CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3)
    • CPU cooler (SilentumPC Fortis 3 -> Noctua NH-U14S)
    • Keyboard (Redragon Vajra -> Roccat Ryos TKL -> CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro L)
    • Mouse (Redragon Vajra -> Logitech G402 -> G403 -> G305)
    • Headset (HyperX Cloud -> Sennheiser GAME ONE)
    • Monitor (Viewsonic VX2260WM -> Eizo Foris FG2421 -> MSI Optix MAG27CQ)

1 - Pretty far off unless you're playing old games. You're sort of expecting a lot, from a little.

2 - Yes, it makes a lot more sense, or else just go for a 1440P 60hz monitor. I don't get why you're willing to drop a seriously large amount of cash on the monitor but want to cheap out on the PC? Doesn't make much sense. It's like buying a racing bike but investing all the cash into the saddle.

3 - Just the GPU mainly, though AMD CPU's are not as good at high framerates as Intel. A 9600K or 9700K is the ideal 144hz CPU right now. But the AMD will do, only if you have a seriously high end graphics card will it make a very big difference. The RX580 is miles off, so it won't make any difference with that card. You would really be looking at RTX2070/2080 card levels for CPU to play a major role.

For the most part I am following Joey Delgados $750 build, which is made for 1080p, I’ve bought most of the components already hence why I’m the position where the only things I can put more money into now is the things I haven’t bought yet, the cpu, ram and monitor. I know my setup isn’t ideal for the monitor but I’m thinking tht considering the monitor is essentially the only high end 2k ready thing I can buy it would at least be a starting point for upgrading the rest of the system to be fully capable of 2k gaming

Advertisement