Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap printer/scanner suggestions

Options
  • 08-04-2019 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi there, can anybody recommend a cheap and reliable printer/scanner please?

It wouldn't be used much, probably only printing 5 to 10 pages a week.

Scan quality wouldn't have to be excellent, just legible.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Scanner/printers are relatively cheap these days. The money and profit is in the ink. We recently got a second HP one and would hope to get refills of original cartridges but I think you only get 100 or so pages per set?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Garlinge wrote: »
    Scanner/printers are relatively cheap these days. The money and profit is in the ink. We recently got a second HP one and would hope to get refills of original cartridges but I think you only get 100 or so pages per set?

Thanks Garlinge. I'd heard that it was the ink that costs you in the long run. Does anyone know if there's a particular brand that have cheaper ink or are more efficient in their use of the ink?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you are only printing 5 or 10 pages a week, usink an inkjet printer you might find the print heads dry out or gum up and you have to regularly waste a lot of ink by running a print head clean / maintenance cycle.

Do you need colour or just black and white printing? For very low volume, infrequent printing you might find a laser printer/scanner more economical in the long term even though it might cost more initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's one in Lidl today for 29.99, HP I think. Don't how how much genuine carts are or whether it would take generic ones. Just FYI, not strictly a recommend. Its a scanner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I use a HP printer scanner (cheapest I could get at the time ~€50) for scanning only.
    I added a cheap laser printer Samsung Xpress 2026w for my intermittent printing needs. (~£60 ebay)
    If you have the space and similar use-case might be worth considering.
    Both devices are wireless so no problems with placing them in one location and leaving them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

If you are only printing 5 or 10 pages a week, usink an inkjet printer you might find the print heads dry out or gum up and you have to regularly waste a lot of ink by running a print head clean / maintenance cycle.

Do you need colour or just black and white printing? For very low volume, infrequent printing you might find a laser printer/scanner more economical in the long term even though it might cost more initially.

I never even considered the print heads drying out.

It would be very low volume black and white printing. A few documents once a week.

Any printer for consideration would have to have a scanner too.

Advertisement