Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official 2019 Masters Thread (Mod note post#1)

Options
  • 07-04-2019 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Can't believe that this is on this week! Seems to be a very understated buildup. Usually people are talking weeks in advance but maybe it's just me.

Anyhow, haven't done much studying thus far but think Tony Finau may have chance this week.

Few rules for this week

This is NOT the thread to moan about coverage/lack of coverage/commentators et al. - we have a thread for that and if you post in in here moaning or praising for that matter it will just be deleted.

This is NOT the thread for gambling talk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's Masters week! Best golfing week of the year. Great pic of your 2019 champ on the course late yesterday evening

https://twitter.com/NickFaldo006/status/1115067192146563072

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When are tee times usually announced for this? Tuesday afternoon Irish time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hey all, I don't have sky sports and looking to see how I can watch the Masters this weekend. I'm looking at the now tv pass but unsure how this works. Do you need a separate box or can you pay the fee and stream it via the smart TV. Any advice would be appreciated.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Hey all, I don't have sky sports and looking to see how I can watch the Masters this weekend. I'm looking at the now tv pass but unsure how this works. Do you need a separate box or can you pay the fee and stream it via the smart TV. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some smart TVs you can install nowtv app. If you have a chromecast you can stream to it from phone. I used now TV for Ryder cup and it was great very little issue occasionally it buffered but seem to do it during adds. BBC are showing it highlights Thursday/Friday and live Saturday and Sunday. Also if your with eir they're showing all for days live

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good read on strokes gained over the history of the masters. Makes a good case for Jordan Spieth.

https://www.15thclub.com/2019/04/08/strokes-gained-augusta/

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good read on strokes gained over the history of the masters. Makes a good case for Jordan Spieth.

https://www.15thclub.com/2019/04/08/strokes-gained-augusta/

He has basically disassembled and reassembled his swing in the last year and is struggling to hit it straight in any sort of capacity. They did a swing analysis from the valero and its worlds apart from what it used to be when he was winning majors

Rikand wrote: »
    He has basically disassembled and reassembled his swing in the last year and is struggling to hit it straight in any sort of capacity. They did a swing analysis from the valero and its worlds apart from what it used to be when he was winning majors

Yeah he struggling hugely especially off the tee so I wouldn't give him much chance myself although he wasn't in good form last year and he nearly won it, his stats around Augusta are phenomenal though, if he gets off to a good start you couldn't rule him out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The new Conor sketch’s is very good. Can’t imbed it at the moment. Live the Gary player impression

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Are tee times not due today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Nice one, Rory should be just finishing up as coverage starts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The new Conor sketch’s is very good. Can’t imbed it at the moment. Live the Gary player impression

The Player impression was so good :D

https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/1115610313125240832

https://youtu.be/gt6RgC99JUs

Good video clip from the course. Crazy how wide the fairways are and how hilly it is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

So,the best tournament of the season is days away. A bit like the Grand National,anybody could win it and you couldnt call it as so many have a chance. The draw has being made and at the moment its pretty damp around Agusta,and i"m wondering what effect,if any will it have on early/late starters

Players & Sponsors... we really don't give a sh*t what your player will be wearing for the 4 days. In fact, some of your players are silly putting up their outfits for 4 days as there is good chance they will be going home after 2. Please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

HighLine wrote: »
    Players & Sponsors... we really don't give a sh*t what your player will be wearing for the 4 days. In fact, some of your players are silly putting up their outfits for 4 days as there is good chance they will be going home after 2. Please and thanks.

Never underestimate the impact this stuff can have on younger people who will want the newest trends/clothes. Only reason it's done, cos as you say, we don't give a damn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Masters were streaming the 16th live on YouTube yesterday so I assume more of the same for the next day or so......for those that can't get enough of it...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So,the best tournament of the season is days away. A bit like the Grand National,anybody could win it and you couldnt call it as so many have a chance. The draw has being made and at the moment its pretty damp around Agusta,and i"m wondering what effect,if any will it have on early/late starters

Wouldn't quite say that.

If that's the case you could say that about any tournament/event in the world ever

Its hard to make a call on this when none of the players seemed to be able to make a call on it themselves.

The state of the art sub air system is meant to be all over the course so they have some control over how soft the fairways play but I've listened to mutliple player interviews and they all seem to have different opinions on how soft it will be come thursday.

Kevin Kishner said if it plays soft and given the way they cut the fairways there will be no roll which will suit the players who can carry it furthest OTT. He said he would be a 2-3 maybe 4 club length disadvantage on his approach shots into greens which he reckons will be up to speed come thursday.

Phil reckoned they can do what they want to the course more or less and it will be up to speed by Thursday, maybe that was based off the current weather predictions on Tuesday

• Advertisement

I know it's only the Par 3 comp but this great to watch. A special memory for Shane I'm sure.

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1116053615406350336

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok.

I'm finished with all these kids and girlfriends.

The Masters

It's bizarre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s unique and want it that way, not a PGA or even USGA tournament, they run one tournament a year and run it their way

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Still prefer The Open as there up against the elements - Real Golf imo.. but The Masters is a good second..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Masters by far for me is always the best major cant wait for the last 2 days to hit :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Did anyone see Lowry last night after he got the hole in one, great scenes, such a likeable chap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

There is no dominant player in the game at the moment.
    I expect the winner to be a player winning his first major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

just realised why i prefer the masters over all other majors. it's early April when there's very little else on. other majors in the summer, there's Clare hurling matches, trips to the beach and sometimes Euros/WC/Olympics to distract from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Couple of good articles about Rory & Tiger on this site. I generally read it for their politics stuff, but they throw in a few good stats based sports articles too:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/this-is-rory-mcilroys-masters-to-lose/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tiger-woods-may-not-get-a-better-shot-at-another-green-jacket/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Advertisement