Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official 2019 Masters Thread (Mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

But as a human it completes one of the most remarkable comebacks in history, had he never won another major he would never have truly came back.

Yeah, it crowns it. Fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's always been an unfinished story. Whatever happens with Woods from here on doesn't matter. The story has the perfect ending.

TomasMacR wrote:
    Still not sure what the issue is with his off course ‘issues’. Got up on a load of consensual hookers, as do a heap of pro golfers on tour. No PED’s, no wife beating.. so he crashed a car whilst on pain killers for very obvious pain. His wife tried to assault him....other than that he just rode a load of tarts outside of wedlock. I’m ok with this much.

Don't we all but I'm not looking for international brands to sponsor me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Still not sure what the issue is with his off course ‘issues’. Got up on a load of consensual hookers, as do a heap of pro golfers on tour. No PED’s, no wife beating.. so he crashed a car whilst on pain killers for very obvious pain. His wife tried to assault him....other than that he just rode a load of tarts outside of wedlock. I’m ok with this much.

This crass post has no place in here. Don’t post something like that again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wording might be a bit crass but the sentiment is spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He's such an obnoxious human, its only right he will get his jacket put on by Patrick Reed.

Oh you must know the two lads personally

Well done Tiger, a fantastic achivement to come back from a media battering over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

TBF if you've read Haney or the more recent Benedict/Keteyian books (which are both phenomenal) you would have to say he did a lot more than ride a few loose women.

The way he treated a lot of people was reprehensible but we are talking about a precocious child star who had no childhood and grew up idolising an obnoxious serial philanderer with a drinking problem. I think in his darker moments over the last few years he learned the humility that Earl did his best to ensure he didn't have and much of who he was when he behaved reprehensibly was more Earls doing than his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

The lads in the butler cabin tried their hardest to make him cry............then tried again

No luck.

When they pulled out the comparison video, I was like “ah here”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

obi604 wrote: »
    The lads in the butler cabin tried their hardest to make him cry............then tried again

No luck.

He was completely unmoved wasn't he? :pac: I'd say the lads were sickened

That's what he was like in his pomp, as if he expected the win.

squawker wrote:
    Well done Tiger, a fantastic achivement to come back from a media battering over the last few years

Media battering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

First Up wrote: »
    Media battering?

Yes constant prying into his personal life, digging up past misdemeanor

The putt on the 9th from Woods must be up there as one of his best shots all week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Game of Thrones starts tonight

Tiger is coming..

That was a near perfect tournament in terms of excitement, with the leaderbaord chopping and changing many times over the weekend and so many top golfers in and out of contention.

I'm not sure what it is about the masters but they seem to set up the course very well to get what they want from it.

The 2 very gettable par 5s and pin position the the par 3 on sunday really ensure.

You'd have to feel for Mollinairi a little but the occassion seemed to get to him in the end I do think deep down the masters is the major most golfers would choose to win, so feel added pressure when in contention.

also while I do give out about Tigers TV time, for me I think it was great to see him win it, especially considering where he was in his life not so long ago.

And weather you like him or not he has a massive following and him winning this will do great things for golf in general (imo)

Thats the best major Ive watched since the Phil Stenson matchplay :) for different reasons and hopefully a sign for the year ahead.

You'd have to feel for Mollinairi a little but the occassion seemed to get to him in the end I do think deep down the masters is the major most golfers would choose to win, so feel added pressure when in contention.

Poor course management on 12 but he was unlucky on 15 imo. We could've easily seen a playoff had he not clipped that branch. Did well to make a 7 in the end.

I'd be shocked if we've seen the last of him as a major contender.

NDWC wrote: »
    Poor course management on 12 but he was unlucky on 15 imo. We could've easily seen a playoff had he not clipped that branch. Did well to make a 7 in the end.

I'd be shocked if we've seen the last of him as a major contender.

You'd imagine so, his coach I forget his name but does be on sky a fair bit said before the off that Mollinairi was playing a different course (masters) now with his added length, I think he said with the extra length OTT and what he has gained in his irons he'd be hitting a 3 to 4 club difference in many spots.

and we have seen how solid his putting has become, I know he has been around a long time but not as a top golfer so the experience should stand to him.

You'd imagine so, his coach I forget his name but does be on sky a fair bit said before the off that Mollinairi was playing a different course (masters) now with his added length, I think he said with the extra length OTT and what he has gained in his irons he'd be hitting a 3 to 4 club difference in many spots.

and we have seen how solid his putting has become, I know he has been around a long time but not as a top golfer so the experience should stand to him.

Definitely a good pro, but his shot selection today let him down. Trying to do too much when all that was required in certain shots was due care

Denis Pugh is the coach, always thought it was odd that he didn't coach more big names. The Molinaris are the only two that I'm aware of.

Completely agree RE: the length and putting, he was always a brilliant iron player and good driver, but now that he's got the putting sorted plus the few yards extra he can contend anywhere.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him win at Pebble or Portrush

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Us open should suit his steady accurate game

Tomas81 wrote: »
    Definitely a good pro, but his shot selection today let him down. Trying to do too much when all that was required in certain shots was due care

At the 12th yes but I don't think he did much else wrong today in terms of shot selection. The wedge on the 15th only clipped the branch when near the top of its flight so I'm not sure I'd class that as poor shot selection.

• Advertisement

I agree with you a bit on the shot selection but I do also think it was mostly the occasion that got to him.

On top of being paired with Tiger and trying to win a masters he was probably watching an ever changing leader board thinking he needed to post something under par to win.

Feck I'd a hard time keep track from my couch so I could see how someone not experienced of leading could get mentally sidetracked.

It'd deffo be a point in favour of the not watching over watching leader boards debate

I agree with you a bit on the shot selection but I do also think it was mostly the occasion that got to him.

On top of being paired with Tiger and trying to win a masters he was probably watching an ever changing leader board thinking he needed to post something under par to win.

Feck I'd a hard time keep track from my couch so I could see how someone not experienced of leading could get mentally sidetracked.

It'd deffo be a point in favour of the not watching over watching leader boards debate

I'm not meaning every shot was wrong cause that's not fair, just 9, 10 , 12 and 15 I felt he tried to do too much.

Sometimes when out there allowing your arms do the thinking rather then the head is your game. Simple strike fix up and continue a plan of attack. I felt like you said he was being conservative with a twist, he was trying to defend strokes and against an inform tiger that isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Another player who missed wide left was the cold front, all the severe weather missed Augusta altogether and went into South Carolina.

They actually could have finished the usual way with perhaps a one hour rain delay around 4 p.m. but what ended up going through the golf course was not very violent at all.

Another player who missed wide left was the cold front, all the severe weather missed Augusta altogether and went into South Carolina.

They actually could have finished the usual way with perhaps a one hour rain delay around 4 p.m. but what ended up going through the golf course was not very violent at all.

I reckon Im going to be one of the very few on this but I love the 3 player, 1 and 10 tee off times.

At times today we were seeing a machine gun of shots for pars, birdies, eagles etc

Cheers for the update last night all the same

I'm not meaning every shot was wrong cause that's not fair, just 9, 10 , 12 and 15 I felt he tried to do too much.

Sometimes when out there allowing your arms do the thinking rather then the head is your game. Simple strike fix up and continue a plan of attack. I felt like you said he was being conservative with a twist, he was trying to defend strokes and against an inform tiger that isn't a good idea.

I dont think it was just Tiger is his mind and far from after 6 he had a 3 shot lead on tiger its just others were charging but some of those others were just playing the easier side of the course first or were way ahead of him on holes. And maybe he felt he needed to push a little harder

It was probably a combination of everything, which I cant verbalise any better then saying the whole occasion got to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I won't get tired of watching this. Scenes.

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1117496728981245952

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't think Augusta has seen very many severe storms (and I mean the whole area over all time, not the tournament), it does not seem to be as prone to tornadoes as many other parts of the southeast. Not sure why, maybe because of local topography and slopes. But they had to go with that format for the sake of the "patrons" (or fans in an ordinary setting), can you imagine the chaos if they blew the horn about halfway through the 18th for the last group? They had it timed very well, I thought, even though the front did weaken to the point of being almost a non-event.

Having never been there, I can't really visualize how 30,000 fans or however many are on the grounds would get to effective shelter within a few minutes, probably impossible and so they would be hoping that all those people sitting in cars in a huge traffic jam would not get pulverized by those big pines falling on them. (in a worst case scenario) ... I've been watching the Masters most of my life and I can't recall a really significant severe storm impacting the tournament, unless we count the whirlwind of Nick Faldo uprooting Greg Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Tiger showed today how to mentally grind out an amazing victory.I am delighted that he won.

Nike had this one in the locker obviously

• Advertisement

Tomas81 wrote:
    Yes constant prying into his personal life, digging up past misdemeanor

The media attention goes with the territory. His comeback from injury is the real story.

Advertisement