Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official 2019 Masters Thread (Mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just don't mention his recent 2 stone weight loss in the Lowry thread.... :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah but that's his bad round out if the way. He is playing far too well this year to discount him.

Rory too far back unless he shoots -5 for 3 rounds.

some of the mistakes were just silly as he said himself.

expect him to do well on Sunday and end up in / near top 10 but again have no chance of winning it.

hopefully I'm wrong.

glasso wrote: »
    Rory too far back unless he shoots -5 for 3 rounds.

some of the mistakes were just silly as he said himself.

expect him to do well on Sunday and end up in / near top 10 but again have no chance of winning it.

hopefully I'm wrong.

Rory is in the last group out today. It's not unreasonable to suggest he could be 9 or 10 strokes behind before he even begins his 2nd round.

Not out of it but has to go low today to get himself back up the leaderboard.

and he left more shots out on the course (e.g. where he had a decent eagle chance and 3 putted)

if he stays in beast mode would be hard to bet against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GreeBo wrote: »

Worth mentioning hes been criticised for his weight loss as hes been utterly crap since he dropped the weight (until yesterday).

Gaining or losing significant amounts of weight has to be considered a risk in a sport like golf, can really affect rhythm.

GreeBo wrote: »

apparently the rumours with Koepka are that he is set to do an ESPN body photo-shoot and hence was focused in getting more ripped.

can't see Lowry being in the body issue any time soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Come on lads let's not start this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

AdamD wrote: »
    Worth mentioning hes been criticised for his weight loss as hes been utterly crap since he dropped the weight (until yesterday).

Gaining or losing significant amounts of weight has to be considered a risk in a sport like golf, can really affect rhythm.
    Was thinking about this. He came in for a lot of criticism because of it. I wonder did that provide extra motivation for him as the contrarian that he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Watched the Feherty show with Koepka and he just seems to have a brilliant mind-set for majors

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Was thinking about this. He came in for a lot of criticism because of it. I wonder did that provide extra motivation for him as the contrarian that he is?

Koepka isn't box office as he can be taciturn with the media. Which doesn't negate his superb attitude on the course, unruffled by the Tiger hype. A man for the big occasion, there are several more majors on his rollcall yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Koepka isn't box office as he can be taciturn with the media. Which doesn't negate his superb attitude on the course, unruffled by the Tiger hype. A man for the big occasion, there are several more majors on his rollcall yet.
    Iirc, he's also said that if he's not in contention after the first day, he just switches off. He's an unusual character and I actually like his attitude. He just doesn't conform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

How and why is McIlroy favourite for the Masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Gwynplaine wrote: »

He was favourite before it started because he has arguably been the best golfer in terms of form since the start of 2019.

Some quotes from an article I posted earlier in this thread:
    By true strokes gained, which adjusts regular strokes gained for field strength, McIlroy is playing the best golf of his career this season, picking up an average of 2.83 strokes on the field — nearly one full stroke better than his 2018 performance and even more exceptional than his 2014 campaign (+2.56), when he won three tournaments, including two majors.
    Indeed, one of the sport’s most gifted ball-strikers finished the past three seasons 97th, 159th, and tied for 135th in strokes gained per round with the putter. What’s perhaps most remarkable this season, then, is that McIlroy ranks 57th in the metric.

He’s sinking 92.9 percent of his putts from 5 feet, which ranks sixth on the tour and is a full 12.2 percentage points higher than last season

So basically, he's playing better this season than he has ever done previously, on a course that should be set up for his style of play which would make it a very reasonable assumption to install him as the pre-tournament favourite

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Bookies Favourite

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

He was favourite before it started because he has arguably been the best golfer in terms of form since the start of 2019.

Some quotes from an article I posted earlier in this thread:

So basically, he's playing better this season than he has ever done previously, on a course that should be set up for his style of play which would make it a very reasonable assumption to install him as the pre-tournament favourite

There remain some holes on this course that he just can't seem to get the better of. 1, 10 and 11 are holes that he has a very poor record on and as of last night he has a career record of 40 over par on those three holes. Yesterday he bogeyed all three. Considering he is 49 under for the other 15 holes, it's easy to see where his problem lies.

He has played 39 rounds at Augusta and has had one birdie on 1 and one birdie on 10. For a player with his talent, that is extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This was just posted in the betting thread, thought it was worth posting here too:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Looking like the Brooks & Bryson show... both up to -7

PARlance wrote: »

Double coming up for Brooks

Remind me wrote: »
    Double coming up for Brooks

Looks like the Bryson show so...

Hope that jinx works as well

• Advertisement

Looks like the Bryson show so...

Hope that jinx works as well

:D

Is it top 50 the cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Brooks double bogey on Par 5 doesn't help. long long way to go

Remind me wrote: »
    :D

Is it top 50 the cut?

Top 50 and ties, plus anyone within 10 shots of leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Is it only sky have it live tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

CptMackey wrote: »
    Is it only sky have it live tonight?

eir sports also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Any where to see it live now or do i have to wait for sky to start showing something in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sawduck wrote:
    Any where to see it live now or do i have to wait for sky to start showing something in a few hours

Sky Red Button has it live now.

Sawduck wrote: »

Red button on sky if you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

First Up wrote: »
    Sky Red Button has it live now.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Bogey for Bryson, lead at -6

Advertisement