Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official 2019 Masters Thread (Mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I know it was mentioned yesterday as well... the track function on the Masters website (particularly on PC) is excellent. The graphics, moving around the each hole in 3d, being able to look at actual video footage of each individual shot... it's top notch stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sawduck wrote: »
    Any where to see it live now or do i have to wait for sky to start showing something in a few hours

Amen Corner live on YouTube

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Amen Corner live on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8V-2eE8r-Q

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Reading online that Zack Johnson hit his 13th tee shot during his practice swing. Doesn’t look like that on tracker though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All changes today...

Masters isn't won until Sunday.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm showing my lack of understanding of the rules, but as he hadn't addressed the ball, does he have to play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The United States Golf Association rules say if a player strikes a teed ball on the teeing ground during a practice swing, there is no penalty. Practice swings on the teeing ground are not considered actual strokes and the ball is not considered in play if accidentally moved during a practice swing. The ball can be replaced on the tee and the player can then tee off without incurring a penalty.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm showing my lack of understanding of the rules, but as he hadn't addressed the ball, does he have to play it?

No, the ball is only in play when he makes a stroke at it. He made a practice swing so had not made an actually stroke at hitting the ball. Commentators at the time said it was a new rule... it's not. Been that way for as long as I can remember. Seen someone do it before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Devils advocate here, but what sort of practice swing warrants taking steps after it? He was waaay to close to the ball that it was obvious he'd hit it.

Anyway...Augusta making a show of people today. Dechambeau and Koepka falling back which is nice. I'm probably in a minority, but I'd like to see Poulter win.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Devils advocate here, but what sort of practice swing warrants taking steps after it? He was waaay to close to the ball that it was obvious he'd hit it.

Anyway...Augusta making a show of people today. Dechambeau and Koepka falling back which is nice. I'm probably in a minority, but I'd like to see Poulter win.

67/68 from McIlroy could have him right back in the fold

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

lawred2 wrote: »
    67/68 from McIlroy could have him right back in the fold

That's all it'd take. Although if go forcing it, could turn nasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

SuprSi wrote: »

Just from reading twitter comments, recent rule change.

Mushy wrote: »
    That's all it'd take. Although if go forcing it, could turn nasty.

I'd prefer him to have a steady uninspiring Masters from here than chase it and go off the rails....

He has enough historical baggage with the Masters as it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

And a sloppy bogey from Rory..now he’s going to have to grind just to make the cut

Keano wrote: »
    And a sloppy bogey from Rory..now he’s going to have to grind just to make the cut

Gah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Course management failure. Well back off the tee (took 3 wood?) and then short sided himself. It's all so avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Followed by a horrible chip on 3. He really needs to steady the ship as things can get ugly very quickly around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great fight back from Speith today. Rory started sloppy again. Needs to really turn things around to get in contention

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Just from reading twitter comments, recent rule change.

Incorrect comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Like nothing more than watching DeShambollix missing putts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I reckon Day's back might flare up again once he drops a few shots

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

idle wrote: »
    Like nothing more than watching DeShambollix missing putts

This made me laugh

HighLine wrote: »
    Incorrect comment.

And ? any interest in divulging without sounding like you are adjudicating a tribunal...it’s a golf thread which is mostly meaningless.

And ? any interest in divulging without sounding like you are adjudicating a tribunal...it’s a golf thread which is mostly meaningless.

I already did... 3 posts above yours :cool:

Then why are you here? If you're not interested, take your agenda elsewhere.

Back on point, McIlroy needs to catch fire soon or he'll be out of the reckoning. Impressed by Molinari, has the mental fortitude to go the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

HighLine wrote: »
    I already did... 3 posts above yours :cool:

Apologies, didn’t see your post. I was reading twitter stuff on it and posted during response.

You address the ball and no matter what happens the player is responsible for a stroke, Harrington got done for it during the open when the wind blew the ball if I remember.

I didn’t know if different rules applied to hitting off the tee...does it not potentially open a player contesting that he it was only a practice swing when he messes up a drive? There were a good few twitter comments that said it was some recent rule change...again apologies for my previous post.

Then why are you here? If you're not interested, take your agenda elsewhere.

Passive comment about a very communal major thread as they all should be, if I can’t be in your club sorry, ill try harder. You seem very wound up. Enjoy your evening,

• Advertisement

Apologies, didn’t see your post. I was reading twitter stuff on it and posted during response.

You address the ball and no matter what happens the player is responsible for a stroke, Harrington got done for it during the open when the wind blew the ball if I remember.

I didn’t know if different rules applied to hitting off the tee...does it not potentially open a player contesting that he it was only a practice swing when he messes up a drive? There were a good few twitter comments that said it was some recent rule change...again apologies for my previous post.

Well to be fair, the commentators on the Masters app got it wrong and said it was a new rule so that's probably why some people on twitter were saying it.

And yeah I guess someone could try suggest they were taking a practice stroke... same with if someone swings and completely missing the ball. Guess you would hope it's a game of honesty and rely on a person's word.

Advertisement