Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues in daycare

Options
  • 08-04-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

My daughter has been in childcare since she was 5 months old. For the first few months it was going really well. We had a meeting at 9 months and daycare also stated it was going well.

At about 10,5 months we were called to a meeting and it was mentioned that she was crying a lot and the carers were struggling with her. She was very clingy with 2 carers in particular. We were given a few tips at home that we could try to help her behaviour. We did this and it helped at home. She also started walking at about 9,5 months so im wondering if this was connected. THat before she could cry but now she could follow them when crying so was a lot harder to ignore.

At 11 months we had another meeting where they suggested perhaps my daughter would be better at another dayacre or a person who minds the child in their own home. I didnt like this as they had stated clinginess was an issue so how would reducing her contact with carers help.

We changed her schedule so we drop her off after the morning rush and pick her up before the evening rush. It hasnt helped and she is still struggling.

We dont see this behoviour at home really. She will cry for a minute if my wife leaves the room but then she will come to me or go play by herself. She doesnt constantly need to be in our arms whereas at daycare she will cry for hours or else need to be held.

At this stage I dont know what to do. We dont see this behaviour at home so it is very hard for us to do anything to correct it. I get calls 2 times a week to collect her and she is only there 3 days a week. Has anyone any experience in something like this or ideas on things we could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

I’m not an expert but could it be a sensory issue? Maybe she finds the crèche environment too overwhelming as she get older and more aware of it.

It could be a case that she needs a quieter, less busy environment.

Just a suggestion. Best of luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Pixied wrote: »
    I’m not an expert but could it be a sensory issue? Maybe she finds the crèche environment too overwhelming as she get older and more aware of it.

It could be a case that she needs a quieter, less busy environment.

Just a suggestion. Best of luck,

It could be the case. She is a very very attentive child and its part of the reason we changed her schedule to avoid the morning and evening rush. Thanks for the comment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We consciously decided to send our eldest to a minder.A creche would have been way too much for her.She is very alert, misses nothing, a very happy and extremely clever child, but when smaller got very overwhelmed in a group situation very quickly.She has learned to manage it a bit better now, but definitely still has her days (she's 4).All kids do, they just display the effects differently, But some kids are better off one on one while small.I mean, how hard must it be to be non-verbal, and then non-verbal in a group situation where you have to "shout" even louder to be heard?? That being said ten months is particularly clingy time.....my own little guy is just about 11 months and quite clingy.He took a while to settle in our minder's house but he is happy enough now.It may be something to consider, to change, although I know it is hard decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

We’ve had sensory issues with my children. All the occupational therapists recommended books by Angie Voss.

Her website is here http://asensorylife.com/index.html

I realise, you’re not sure if this is the issue but the website or book might help you decide.

Advertisement