Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride Dingle....

Options
  • 08-04-2019 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it?
    I'm heading down for it, was wondering if anyone had an idea how much climbing it includes?
    I've not done more than 65km this year and while I know I'll get thru it, it might be a bit of a struggle if its all uphill.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Route info is here. 730meters

https://ridedingle.com/event-information/route-informati

You'll be missing out on the Conor pass but you're arguably doing the most scenic half of it and you can go up the pass on your own time probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Weepsie wrote: »
    Route info is here. 730meters

https://ridedingle.com/event-information/route-informati

You'll be missing out on the Conor pass but you're arguably doing the most scenic half of it and you can go up the pass on your own time probably.

Sorry, I meant I've only done up to 65 in a spin this year but will be doing the full 125km route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I spend most of most summers west of Dingle and I had that Slea Head 50k circuit down to near as dammit an hour and a half at one stage! Anticlockwise and wind dependant

fat bloke wrote: »
    I spend most of most summers west of Dingle and I had that Slea Head 50k circuit down to near as dammit an hour and a half at one stage! Anticlockwise and wind dependant

Thats impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Ride Dingle delayed 24hrs, until Sunday 28th, due to Storm Hannah
    Ride Dingle

• Advertisement

Ride Dingle delayed 24hrs, until Sunday 28th, due to Storm Hannah
    Ride Dingle

Just got the text. We are staying down Sunday anyway so can still do it, but I'd imagine loads will now not be able to as they were only staying the Friday night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

terrydel wrote: »
    Just got the text. We are staying down Sunday anyway so can still do it, but I'd imagine loads will now not be able to as they were only staying the Friday night before.

Same here. Sure plenty will be disappointed, but think it’s the right call

EDit wrote: »
    Same here. Sure plenty will be disappointed, but think it’s the right call

What's the forecast for Sunday?

A light drizzle and gentle to moderate SW wind. Not exactly perfect weather conditions, but appears that it will be much less blustery than Saturday. The other issue with Saturday would be the potential for a lot of debris on the roads from Friday that won’t have been cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Think they overreacted. It will be windy this evening but that will have died down by Saturday morning. Given that many people already had set plans change of date so close will be disruptive for many.
    These constant wind warnings are making us all unnecessarily paranoid and scared of the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

They are flatly refusing to refund people who cannot make it on Sunday. Very poor show.

I can't imagine any of those people will ever sign up for it again and I hope they tell all their cycling friends not to either. I certainly will.

I’d say it’s less about the wind at 8am tomorrow morning and more about (a) the registration logistics (remember, registration was supposed to be in a marquee on the Dingle seafront between 6-9pm tonight...ie, in what are now being forecast as 130km+ winds...that wouldn’t end well!) and (b) the state of the roads in the morning (high possibility of trees down and lots of dangerous debris littering the route). While delaying by 24 hrs will leave a bad taste in the mouth for many who can no longer make it, a serious injury (or death) on the route would give the event an even worse rep.

I’d agree about it making more sense shifting it to later in the day on Saturday, but maybe that was not an option for the medical staff and road closures.

nailik wrote: »
    They are flatly refusing to refund people who cannot make it on Sunday. Very poor show.

I can't imagine any of those people will ever sign up for it again and I hope they tell all their cycling friends not to either. I certainly will.

Do any of these events do refunds for poor weather? Every event I’ve done (cycling, running or triathlon) has a disclaimer about no refunds. Thought it was pretty standard TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some of those gradients look tough :( with my dodgy back i think i'll give it a miss

Do any of these events do refunds for poor weather? Every event I’ve done (cycling, running or triathlon) has a disclaimer about no refunds. Thought it was pretty standard TBH

No refunds is fine if people decide on their own not to do it. because it might be windy. It is s not if as in this case organisers unilaterally cancel.
    They could have easily changed location for registration this evening if they thought that was a concern.
    These constant weather warnings have turned us into a nation of scardy cat snowflakes.

Ok, just had a look at T&Cs for other events I’ve signed up for and, while they all reserve the right to change the route on the day due to adverse weather, they do give refunds if they have to change the date or cancel the event. As such, it would seem unfair that the organizers of this event won’t provide some goodwill gesture for people that can no longer make it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its an outdoor sport...… done in all weathers...…..

#Snowflake #AmericanWeatherWarnings

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

A light drizzle and gentle to moderate SW wind. Not exactly perfect weather conditions, but appears that it will be much less blustery than Saturday. The other issue with Saturday would be the potential for a lot of debris on the roads from Friday that won’t have been cleared

Yeah, from what I can see of the route, a SW wind will be a help more than a hindrance.
    Safe travels to anyone heading down and hopefully you have a good day on the bike.

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Think they overreacted. It will be windy this evening but that will have died down by Saturday morning. Given that many people already had set plans change of date so close will be disruptive for many.
    These constant wind warnings are making us all unnecessarily paranoid and scared of the weather

Agree on the issue of this colour coded warnings, they all seem to give the impression of impending doom. The very fact a warning is issued, regardless of colour/level, seems to induce far more panic than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

The route goes over the highest road pass in Ireland and also has a very exposed 5 km section where there's only a wall between the road and a drop to the sea. I've no love for the profit based sportive model but to run the event with any big danger of gusts at all would be rash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

greenspurs wrote: »

I wonder what the liability for the organiser would be in the case of a serious injury happening at a time when the met office, AA etc... were advising not to make any unnecessary road trips? I remember doing a WW200 in atrocious weather a number of years ago and seeing quite a few ambulances on the road. It's all very well for the organisers and competitors to say HTFU and get on with it, but less reasonable to expect the taxpayer to foot the medical bills for someone who recklessly endangers themselves when they've been forewarned of hazardous conditions. I would guess that the insurance cover for the organisers states that they must meet basic safety criteria for an event like this, which they wouldn't be doing in this case.

Reshedule and refund those that can't make the new date seems like the only reasonable option.

Think this follows a more general trend of people being increasing more nervous and afraid of engaging in outdoor activities in general because of fear of the weather engendered by weather warnings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Think this follows a more general trend of people being increasing more nervous and afraid of engaging in outdoor activities in general because of fear of the weather engendered by weather warnings.

That'd be true if the event was rescheduled because those taking part requested it, but it has been done by the organisers as is usually the case. I'd say this is fear of liability if someone got hurt on the one hand and genuine concern for those taking part on the other. Anyone doing longer distances any way regularly will be well used to hitting terrible weather every so often. West of Ireland in April, it is pretty much to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Someone was badly injured on part of the same route a few weeks ago. They obviously don't want that happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The Healy-Rae's probably told the organisers that there was a big crowd "up in Dublin" coming down to the event but they have lots of money so don't refund them because that's what cute Kerry hoors do.
    In fairness though, if the event went ahead on Saturday and there was a bad accident or death, the first question would be "why was the event run".
    It is incredibly sly to not offer a refund though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's very possible that emergency services are also required elsewhere for several hours either side of warning so their hands are tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

The crowd in charge of the event Elite Event Management are the same crowd who run the Ring of Beara and a few other big running/cycling events. That's generally seen as one of the better sportives in the country. We're not talking a crowd of local cowboys here as the comedian above seems to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The route goes over the highest road pass in Ireland

you're asking for trouble now:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64265635

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

greenspurs wrote: »

If it's anything like RoB or RoK there will be a wide variety of cycling abilities and experience. Some cyclists will mis-judge and over-estimate their abilites.
    Looking at the wind speed info on the Weather forum thread this looks like a serious storm that is not reducing as hoped.
    The most experienced cyclist could be helpless in the face of gusts of 160kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

incredibly difficult call for the organisers i imagine, considering the weather warnings gone red for clare rescheduling is their only option i would think (with an organisers hat on it would be hard to know what to do in the same circumstances)

Advertisement