Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride Dingle....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

478732.JPG

Having had a quick look at the weather forecast, I've put an arrow in for the rough location of the marquee this evening. Rough location, insofar as in 100km winds it could end up anywhere between Boston and Hollyhead. :pac:

Anyone driving down there this evening take it handy and keep an ear out for the best advise of the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Spoke to the organiser this morning. No refund and no possibility of a free entry into next year's event. Organiser said it is in the terms and conditions. Checked their website but can't see any terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It's not just the issue the weather during the event. Travelling down to the event this evening is a factor too. RTE report just now advising people in Clare to be indoors from 7pm - along with their patio equipment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Spoke to the organiser this morning. No refund and no possibility of a free entry into next year's event. Organiser said it is in the terms and conditions. Checked their website but can't see any terms and conditions

Fair enough if it's in their terms and conditions but there getting a lot of bad PR from people that are travelling from up the country and can't cancel/re-arrange accommodation.

A goodwill gesture of free entry to next year's event would be a nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The crowd in charge of the event Elite Event Management are the same crowd who run the Ring of Beara and a few other big running/cycling events. That's generally seen as one of the better sportives in the country. We're not talking a crowd of local cowboys here as the comedian above seems to think.

Turn on your sarcasm-ometer, it is switched off at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Think this is a bit ridiculous and an overreaction.
    It will be windy this evening. The cycle is tomorrow.
    This fear of the weather engendered by these constant weather warnings is not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Think this is a bit ridiculous and an overreaction.
    It will be windy this evening. The cycle is tomorrow.
    This fear of the weather engendered by these constant weather warnings is not healthy.

doubt met eireann have put out a red weather warning in kerry and clare for a bit of wind, as others have stated people travelling down and registration in a red weather warning is probably the decisive factor , plus the potential for alot of debris on the roads tommorrow morning makes it most likely the right call

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I remember the same auld guff during Storm Ophelia about snowflakes and overreactions. The whole country hunkered down and stayed indoors and three people were still killed. Plenty internet tough guys mad to drive the N86 in 100kph winds, good luck to them.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I remember the same auld guff during Storm Ophelia about snowflakes and overreactions. The whole country hunkered down and stayed indoors and three people were still killed. Plenty of time to get internet tough guys mad to drive the N86 in 100kph winds, good luck to them.

That is the exact same argument used to explain why children can no longer walk to school. Some child somewhere sometime was killed walking to school. If you live your life afraid to do things because of what might happen e.g. that you might be killed by the wind you will live a more fearful less fulfilled life.
    You're not even being rational. Hundreds of people are killed every year in car crashes. Far in excess of the number killed by the wind.
    Yet people who won't go out because of the wind will get in a car. Totally irrational.
    But then I suppose we don't have the same number of car driving warnings as weather warnings.

And once again. It will be windy this evening. The cycle had been scheduled for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

That is the exact same argument used to explain why children can no longer walk to school. Some child somewhere sometime was killed walking to school. If you live your life afraid to do things because of what might happen e.g. that you might be killed by the wind you will live a more fearful less fulfilled life.
    You're not even being rational. Hundreds of people are killed every year in car crashes. Far in excess of the number killed by the wind.
    Yet people who won't go out because of the wind will get in a car. Totally irrational.
    But then I suppose we don't have the same number of car driving warnings as weather warnings.

And once again. It will be windy this evening. The cycle had been scheduled for tomorrow.

You should show everyone that your not a snowflake by doing it tomorrow anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

What's wrong with people ......how the hell can you go ahead with a cycle the morning after a bad storm.

Emergency services stretched to the max ....

It's a cycle .... pushing it out 24hrs is a good call and common sense .

I was at that cycle a few weeks ago and a guy was badly hurt, and thats in perfect conditions.

Enjoy the cycle Sunday people, its lovely scenery and you'll all love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Just arrived. If it's very, very windy here in dingle. The drive wasn't as bad as expected, apart from my 15 year old jammer starting to die towards the end. I might be cycling back on Sunday!

terrydel wrote: »
    Agree on the issue of this colour coded warnings, they all seem to give the impression of impending doom. The very fact a warning is issued, regardless of colour/level, seems to induce far more panic than necessary.
    plodder wrote: »
    Someone was badly injured on part of the same route a few weeks ago. They obviously don't want that happening again.
    It's not just the issue the weather during the event. Travelling down to the event this evening is a factor too. RTE report just now advising people in Clare to be indoors from 7pm - along with their patio equipment!
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Plenty internet tough guys mad to drive the N86 in 100kph winds, good luck to them.
    You should show everyone that your not a snowflake by doing it tomorrow anyway!

If I was in Dingle I would. If for no other reason than to protest against the ubiquitous weather warnings that have turned the Irish into a nation of spineless snowflakes. it's windy tonight. It won't be windy tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can't take anyone who uses "snowflake" seriously personally. It's become a red flag to me to just highlight folk who want to get annoyed at something.

It's highly likely first aid support had to be pulled in case of emergencies elsewhere. It's highly likely that in the event of any debris getting on the road that it would be hazardous today.

A lone or small groups would probably be fine, but several hundred, many likely beginners being let out on a route with those issues would have been dangerous

As they say in boxing, nobody needs a brave corner man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

If I was in Dingle I would. If for no other reason than to protest against the ubiquitous weather warnings that have turned the Irish into a nation of spineless snowflakes. it's windy tonight. It won't be windy tomorrow

Preparations for such events are hectic in the night before and early morning on the day. Any outdoor prep would have been impossible in last night's weather. I already mentioned that anyone travelling to the event last night would have been reckless.
    I expect organisors are surveying the damage right now. If there are no trees down on the route it will be miraculous.
    Spare a thought for the support crew, often volunteers and those marshalling the event.

I'm reminded of the postponed Rock and Road event in Kinvara in the snow-fall a year ago. Conditions were fine in Kinvara but travel elsewhere in the country was impossible.

Why don't those complaining about the cycle being cancelled head on on the route today, nothing to stop you sure....

I've never done an organised cycle (although a regular recreation cyclist) but I'd imagine there's a lot involved in terms of setting up the route (I'm sure there would be debris down?), and emergency services which are probably busy enough, and possibly ESB repairing broken lines this morning on the route....

How can people think postponing it by 24 hours was not the sensible thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Fully agree with postponing.

BUT surely a free ticket next year to any who can't make tomorrow.

Preparations for such events are hectic in the night before and early morning on the day. Any outdoor prep would have been impossible in last night's weather. I already mentioned that anyone travelling to the event last night would have been reckless.
    I expect organisors are surveying the damage right now. If there are no trees down on the route it will be miraculous.
    Spare a thought for the support crew, often volunteers and those marshalling the event.

I'm reminded of the postponed Rock and Road event in Kinvara in the snow-fall a year ago. Conditions were fine in Kinvara but travel elsewhere in the country was impossible.

I've no issue at all with the move to Sunday, was a sensible decision with a lot of good reasons behind it.
    Drove down last night, arriving in dingle at 7.30, in the middle of the worst winds and in no way was it reckless. So long as you drove with care it was a bit nasty but nothing too crazy.
    Drove all of slea head today and about half the other loop, didn't see a single tree down Again, I've no issue with the organisers decision, feel for those left out of pocket and I think they should be compensated some way.
    Lots of cyclists out today in pretty nice conditions.

Enjoy it tomorrow so. As you say, those who couldn't make it shouldn't be left totally out of pocket. Entry into next years seems reasonable and wouldn't cost the organisers much. It is not as if they're likely to do the event next year anyway if they feel they've been stiffed by the organisers this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Supposedly 2000 cyclists out there tomorrow. Weather should be fine, fair number of cyclists around today, gonna be busy on the bothar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well...........any good?

fryup wrote: »
    well...........any good?

Yeah, enjoyed the ruote, as someone mentioned above, the Slea Head route is the best part, its really scenic and beautiful.
    I hadnt done over a 100k since last September so was unsure how I'd cope but was ok in the end, flew the first 55km loop, avg over 31kmph, finished with avg of 28kmph in 4h18min. First time doing Conor Pass, found it ok, its a nice climb at a consistent gradient so you can egt into a rhythm. I stopped at the food stop before, would probably have been quicker up it without that! Still managed a good time on it, but I reckon with a few goes I'd be able to lash up it.
    The numbers seemed way down unfortunately, I'd guess at maybe 500-600 tops.
    Overall a good event I'd do again, tho its a bloody long trip down and back over two days, so not sure I'd be doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Agreed, living out here have seen a lot of big cycle races, this one wasn't that big, could get around no problem driving/walking :)

Know a few people that ended up doing their own cycle round Dingle on the Saturday and gave the official Sunday cycle a miss. Heard as well that numbers were low.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Really enjoyed it, had fun in Dingle Saturday night and then had a leasurely cycle around the hills on Sunday. Crowd was small, but I prefer that anyways (who wants to queue for 10 mins for a coffee?) and everyone we met was friendly and up for a good time. Can’t fault the organization. Will probably do it again if they do it next year as We were in the clouds up on Conor Pass, so didn’t get to fully experience the amazing views

Genuine question - what is the advantage of doing an organised cycle? What exactly are you paying for? I do quite a bit of recreational cycling, I've never done an organised cycle but what do you get for your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Genuine question - what is the advantage of doing an organised cycle? What exactly are you paying for? I do quite a bit of recreational cycling, I've never done an organised cycle but what do you get for your money?

For local cycles I like supporting the local charity.
    For cycles further afield they usually have the best/most scenic route in the area. Nice doing it in a group, I love shooting the breeze with strangers as we're tipping around.
    The food stops are usually decent as well.

You generally get a decent number of people doing them, a bit of banter and craic along the way, the benefit of a bit of group riding (you will nearly always go quicker on a sportive in my experience) food stops where you dont have to pay and can generally have as much or as litle as you like.
    They are not for everyone and plenty are overly expensive, but there are benefits, for me its mostly the bit of benter and craic of doing a tough challenge with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

(1) overtaking as many as you can

(2) drafting behind those you can't

:D

Advertisement