Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride Dingle....

Options
13»

Comments

Genuine question - what is the advantage of doing an organised cycle? What exactly are you paying for? I do quite a bit of recreational cycling, I've never done an organised cycle but what do you get for your money?

An excuse to get away for the day, and maybe even the weekend, with a couple of buddies, have a few pints, and maybe even do a cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and may i add....

*social side of it - meeting new people
    *helps gets you fit - exercise
    *contributing to worthy causes - charity
    *getting to see parts of the country you may never have visited before - scenery

.....and of course cheesecake :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cheesecake?

G'way with ya. Carrot Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The route goes over the highest road pass in Ireland...
    I see that mentioned here from time to time but it must be a case of Co Kerry thinking 'big'.

There are at least two other mountain passes (on public roads) which are higher - The 'Featherbeds' on the Dublin/Wicklow border and The Wicklow Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

terrydel wrote: »
    I've no issue at all with the move to Sunday, was a sensible decision with a lot of good reasons behind it.
    Drove down last night, arriving in dingle at 7.30, in the middle of the worst winds and in no way was it reckless. So long as you drove with care it was a bit nasty but nothing too crazy.
    Drove all of slea head today and about half the other loop, didn't see a single tree down Again, I've no issue with the organisers decision, feel for those left out of pocket and I think they should be compensated some way.
    Lots of cyclists out today in pretty nice conditions.

Early afternoon Saturday, I was surprised to see the long route completely clear of any storm debris. No trees down. Not so many trees on Dingle penninsula I realise - or the weak one's don't survive long.
    Some locals told me the storm had blown itself out by 10pm Friday. Stark contrast to Cork, even Sat. morning.
    In hindsight, yes, it seems the event could have taken place on Saturday. Good to see many cyclists on the route on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Hindsight = 20/20. If there was a few electricity poles down on the route, it might have seemed like a bad idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

EDit wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it, had fun in Dingle Saturday night and then had a leasurely cycle around the hills on Sunday. Crowd was small, but I prefer that anyways (who wants to queue for 10 mins for a coffee?) and everyone we met was friendly and up for a good time. Can’t fault the organization. Will probably do it again if they do it next year as We were in the clouds up on Conor Pass, so didn’t get to fully experience the amazing views

Ive been down to do Conor Pass a few times never once seen the views from the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I see that mentioned here from time to time but it must be a case of Co Kerry thinking 'big'.

There are at least two other mountain passes (on public roads) which are higher - The 'Featherbeds' on the Dublin/Wicklow border and The Wicklow Gap.

They're local mountain passes for local mountain people...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sure it's not even the heighest in Munster. Priest's leap is higher by all accounts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - i've deleted a bunch of off-topic posts which were dragging the thread away from what it should have been discussing. perhaps that debate is for a different thread or different forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Similar incident today. Major music festival cancelled. Tens of thousands of people inconvenienced. All because a bit of wind was forecast.

This weather paranoia has turned us into a generation of terrified snowflakes.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/angry-fans-react-after-boardmasters-festival-cancelled-due-to-weather-warnings-38382230.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Similar incident today. Major music festival cancelled. Tens of thousands of people inconvenienced. All because a bit of wind was forecast.

This weather paranoia has turned us into a generation of terrified snowflakes.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/angry-fans-react-after-boardmasters-festival-cancelled-due-to-weather-warnings-38382230.html

You think the organisers should have ignored a weather warning? A bit of wind in a concert venue, with every sort of temporary structure in place, is more than "a bit of wind".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    ....This weather paranoia has turned us into a generation of terrified snowflakes.....
    Nothing to do with 'snowflakes'. The compensation culture is the cause.

now open for 2020, early bird €60 for the 120km

https://ridedingle.com/

Advertisement