Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

deco72 wrote: »
    has anyone been having issues with BBC iplayer? just keep getting an error 02001 which seems to be related to Samsung TVs from 2017.

As this is a discussion on the fire stick I presume you are using one, so surely it doesn't matter if the TV us from 2002 or 2019 as you are using a HDMI port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Quick question on Prime Video (I'm still on the trial).
    The Fire stick keeps giving the 5505 error, which I gather is a location settings issue.
    Yet I can view Prime Video in a browser from the same IP.

Location settings on my Amazon account had been set to US, migrated to UK and confirmed that's what's showing on now on www.amazon.co.uk/mycd

Is there something else I need to do on the Fire stick? Or do I maybe need to deassociate the account and add it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Has anyone got RTE player working on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Re - cloaking location, I've used Hola on my phone and that works fine for the apps on it, anyone used Hola for iPlayer on the Firestick ect?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

For those who ordered on amazon and had it delivered on parcel motel,
    have tried multiple times using my PM address yet always seem to have issues with it not being accepted.

Eventually gave up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s always on a reduced rate direct from getflix but it should work if you bought it direct from the site and not one of the sites that sell a lifetime deal like pigsback etc, Kids have American amazon going here and American netflix was on earlier

I know how you can get UK amazon but how'd you get the american version?
    Surely a vpn doesn't make a difference unless you bought it from the states?

To update on vpn unlimited, it connects automatically now without me doing anything. US Netflix working perfectly

TheDriver wrote: »
    Has anyone got RTE player working on this?

I installed it but couldn't really use it. I could see the program selection but couldn't select anything. Iv since deleted it. Pity as it would be handy to have all apps on one device.
    I now only use RTE player via chromecast so I can skip the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

bromley52 wrote: »
    As this is a discussion on the fire stick I presume you are using one, so surely it doesn't matter if the TV us from 2002 or 2019 as you are using a HDMI port.

Yeah Im not sure why I cant get it to work, I just read somewhere about the TV. I didnt think this was it either but trying everything her to sort it, reinstall/clear data/clear cache etc but nothing worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

deco72 wrote: »
    Yeah Im not sure why I cant get it to work, I just read somewhere about the TV. I didnt think this was it either but trying everything her to sort it, reinstall/clear data/clear cache etc but nothing worked.

Try to get a different IP address from your vpn.
    Reconnect & try again

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    I installed it but couldn't really use it. I could see the program selection but couldn't select anything. Iv since deleted it. Pity as it would be handy to have all apps on one device.
    I now only use RTE player via chromecast so I can skip the ads.

I managed to install it using downloader and apkpure but couldn't even get it to start. Pity.
    On another note, the picture quality is far superior than firestick 1st gen and that's a 1080p tv

rte app is total garbage on the firestick and the nvidia shield, the only thing it seems to play well are the adverts

You're a better person than me, I couldn't get the adverts to even work. I thought I was having a blonde moment but I tried everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Why is everyone talking about VPNs? Is it just for the BBC IPlayer?

Why is everyone talking about VPNs? Is it just for the BBC IPlayer?

You can only use the UK players if you are in UK or your firestick thinks it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

I got rte player going ok

Get the apk from apkmirror.com etc on your phone
    Use apps2fire to install or just send apk and then install
    Open it and use the search option
    Use a app called mouse toggle where you press play /pause twice to use remote like mouse and select shows etc

Make sure vpn etc off or will give you next to no shows as outside Ireland

The fire tv app is great

You can paste stuff copied from phone like passwords etc

Or just use the phone at keyboard, great when you have autocorrect remember your email and speeds that up no end

I got the otg cable from the off but had some issues.
    Older house and weirdly the hdmi goes off and on with light switches at times, this then drive firestick mad and hard drive disconnected mid watch

I figured out you can link onedrive to kodi and watch stuff from it, think you can do it with other cloud providers, just make sure advanced settings are setup so no buffering

If your upload speed is crap, look for x265, usually 1/4 of the size for same quality

I've loads more tips etc if people want I'll keep posting if not then I'll stop and not waste my time and clog the thread

So far being using a usb cable I have there to power the stick off the TV, the one in the box is like a skipping rope

Only issue so far is it pops up a warning when updating, but works ok

The benefit is that your stick goes off/on with the TV. not TV off and stick eventually

If you do use the plug, hold down the home button and you can put it to sleep straight away

• Advertisement

Make sure to setup your TV/Soundbar (if you have one), that way the power button turns on TV/stick and then the soundbar and soundbar level can be set from the remote

The launcher use to be able to be changed ( I got it once, then second time the stick kept reading out what was on screen so gave up)

But you can sort your apps to have them in your own order
    The hamburger menu as someone calls it aka three lines and move
    Then below the recents you have your apps the way you want them
    As near as you'll get to customizing the home screen sadly

Youtube is now on or cant be put on the stick officially

Some people recommend

https://smartyoutubetv.github.io

For me not that much benefit, but I think its handy when you cant or wont get 4K from official app

Settings
    Display and sounds
    Audio
    Advanced audio

Turn on
    Volume leveller
    Dialogue enhancer

Should help stop the cant hear them talk then the whole house hears the loud noises etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I have it, got it on parcel motel last week. the only one that I can see wont work is the amazon prime video, and I have prime account. Netflix/youtube works perfect. Other apps fine.

I have a vpn, havent tried it yet, must try and set it for uk to see but theres nothing on amazon Ive a hankering to watch.

small update. Just remembered I didnt try the iplayers

Amazon customer service fixed that for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Getflix smart dns works a treat for me for the last two years

I have GetFlix DNS - the full version - Using the DNS - most stuff works like ITV, Chan4

Streaming Live BBC over IPlayer doesnt work for me - but the iPlayer box sets work...

Anyone tried the Getflix VPN? What you need to install it?

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

settopbox wrote: »
    For those who ordered on amazon and had it delivered on parcel motel,
    have tried multiple times using my PM address yet always seem to have issues with it not being accepted.

Eventually gave up on it.

Ordered one on prime day, delivered to PM without issues. Arrived with all UK players preloaded, and they all work fine with VPN Unlimited.

For £25, it's a great purchase.

ozmo wrote: »
    I have GetFlix DNS - the full version - Using the DNS - most stuff works like ITV, Chan4

Streaming Live BBC over IPlayer doesnt work for me - but the iPlayer box sets work...

Anyone tried the Getflix VPN? What you need to install it?

I'm using Getflix DNS (lifetime) and am able to stream live TV on iplayer. I'm currently in Spain with my fire stick and am able to VPN (OVPN) onto my home network so it can use the Getflix DNS. Best and easiest device I have ever used.
    I have tried Getflix VPN but bbc iplayer seem to have blocked most VPNs.

jeffk wrote: »

Use a app called mouse toggle where you press play /pause twice to use remote like mouse and select shows etc

Thanks, worked a treat. I had to install the June version of the app and got the mouse app through firesticktricks. Still fidely but once you know what you want to watch, it works grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

not sure where to post this but got one of these primeday , grand job, started setting it up, next thing the remote has gone walkabout and not able to set up the remote app either ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gussieg wrote: »
    not sure where to post this but got one of these primeday , grand job, started setting it up, next thing the remote has gone walkabout and not able to set up the remote app either ...?

See can your TV remote control it. Use the tv's own settings to check. Mine was able to control what's plugged into the hdmi and it's a bog standard LG. Think it's called simpi link or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

jeffk wrote: »

Downloaded the app on phone (used apkpure for version 3.0.7) and sent over with apps2fire. Installed the app fine but when I open it on the fire stick, it's just a grey screen and then it takes me back to the main fire stick app page. Not using a VPN but video location was changed to UK by Amazon

Side question - do I need a VPN to be able to watch It/BBC - keep getting an error when I try to stream and the location is the most logical reason

Yes, BBC and itv only work if firestick thinks it's in UK.

Yes, BBC and itv only work if firestick thinks it's in UK.

Yeah that's the issue

I had windscribe on to get some UK videos on youtube (mostly BT), forgot and tried to use rte player and couldn't find any shows when I searched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anyone having any issues with this? I'm getting a License Error on Prime Videos, iPlayer just won't load.

I had issues with IPlayer for 2 nights this week but it has rectified itself.

Tried to update to latest RTE player (3.07) and wasn't having it

Back to 3.04

What version are others using ok?

Mine was same, newest rte doesn't load. I'm using same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Neither of those are the 4k talked about in this thread. Why would you not buy from amazon? Their customer service and returns poilcy is the best there is

Even for the non 4k ones on here they seem well priced, but im not buying,something not right about both adds ,just to see if others thought the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭andydurnin

My Amazon stick stopped working. It keeps restarting over and over again. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

andydurnin wrote: »
    My Amazon stick stopped working. It keeps restarting over and over again. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Are you using the correct power supply plugged into the wall or is the stick being powered from USB power e.g. the USB port on the TV or something? I've seen the rebooting issue before due to the fire stick not getting enough juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Mine was same, newest rte doesn't load. I'm using same

Does the RTE player work well? Would I be able to watch the match on it today?

Yes but u need the version from say may and the mouse toggle app. It's f7ddly to get working but once the feed is on, it works perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Brought mine on holiday with me to Holland, even with poor wifi its working well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Anyone hear a rumor of Amazon bringing out a firmware update to block VPN from working on the firestick. Find it hard to believe, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jellyonaplate

Never Trust Ebay anyway full of scammers & pain in the arse then trying to get money back then

You have buyer protection on eBay and another layer of protection for 180 days on PayPal, it’s quite easy getting money back it just takes time

• Advertisement

clickhere wrote: »
    Anyone hear a rumor of Amazon bringing out a firmware update to block VPN from working on the firestick. Find it hard to believe, myself.
    Why would they care?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement