Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An post/ no post

• 08-04-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

What's going on with An post, I'm waiting on a package, tracking with the an post site, so about 6pm the site tells me that there was an attempted delivery at 2:30 pm, (I'm home since 12:30), anyway there's no note in my postbox to say they called. So what's happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not trying to be funny but how would we know? Call the local An Post centre and ask them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭horse7

That goes without saying, just interested to know of similar occurrences or some changes in delivery methods of an post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Have had multiple experiences like this with An Post over the years at my previous address, and even more recently at my current address!

The most recent one was in November last year when I ordered a bunch of stuff from IKEA's website. The delivery charge was €7.50, so it seemed like a pretty good deal for the convenience - it would save us the trip down to IKEA and all the hassle associated with it, as well as the taxi fare to bring the stuff home (didn't have a car then).

However, the carrier was An Post. So, one morning when I looked up the tracking info for the packages on their website, I saw the dreaded message - "We attempted to deliver your item. There was no answer at the address.". The timestamp was 8 am which was only minutes before. Both my wife and I were at home. There was no buzz on the intercom, no knock on the door, no phone call, and no note in the post box. Additionally, our apartment is on the ground floor, and the building entrance is visible from our living room. Since I was expecting the packages after seeing the "Out for delivery" message earlier that morning, I was sitting right where I could see if anyone walked up to the entrance. There was no one. Spoke to a customer service guy who simply repeated the message from the tracking info - "Blah blah blah, delivery was attempted...". He also put me on hold so he could check with the driver. Obviously, the driver claimed that he attempted delivery.

Long story short, we had to pick up the packages from the depot. The packages were in my wife's name. The saving grace would have been if I was able to pick up the items with an appropriate letter from my wife and both our photo ids. But was told by An Post customer service that they don't do this. So, both of us had to take a bus to the depot, with a 7-month old baby in tow, pick up the boxes (there were 2 large ones), and get a taxi home. So, it cost us more time, energy, and money to get this order than it would if we had simply visited the IKEA store.

Like I said earlier, this has been our experience even at our previous address. My wife is not working, so every time An Post has claimed "Attempted Delivery", there would have been at least one person at home. The incompetent drivers don't seem to make the slightest attempt to deliver packages to apartments.

That's why I started getting all my stuff delivered to my work address. With a security guard at the building reception all day and even beyond business hours, they cannot claim that there was "no answer at the address".

zepman wrote: »
    Have had multiple experiences like this with An Post over the years at my previous address, and even more recently at my current address!

The most recent one was in November last year when I ordered a bunch of stuff from IKEA's website. The delivery charge was €7.50, so it seemed like a pretty good deal for the convenience - it would save us the trip down to IKEA and all the hassle associated with it, as well as the taxi fare to bring the stuff home (didn't have a car then).

However, the carrier was An Post. So, one morning when I looked up the tracking info for the packages on their website, I saw the dreaded message - "We attempted to deliver your item. There was no answer at the address.". The timestamp was 8 am which was only minutes before. Both my wife and I were at home. There was no buzz on the intercom, no knock on the door, no phone call, and no note in the post box. Additionally, our apartment is on the ground floor, and the building entrance is visible from our living room. Since I was expecting the packages after seeing the "Out for delivery" message earlier that morning, I was sitting right where I could see if anyone walked up to the entrance. There was no one. Spoke to a customer service guy who simply repeated the message from the tracking info - "Blah blah blah, delivery was attempted...". He also put me on hold so he could check with the driver. Obviously, the driver claimed that he attempted delivery.

Long story short, we had to pick up the packages from the depot. The packages were in my wife's name. The saving grace would have been if I was able to pick up the items with an appropriate letter from my wife and both our photo ids. But was told by An Post customer service that they don't do this. So, both of us had to take a bus to the depot, with a 7-month old baby in tow, pick up the boxes (there were 2 large one), and get a taxi home. So, it cost us more time, energy, and money to get this order than if we had simply visited the IKEA store.

Like I said earlier, this has been our experience even in our previous address. My wife is not working, so every time An Post has claimed "Attempted Delivery", there would have been at least one person at home. The incompetent drivers don't seem to make the slightest attempt to deliver packages to apartments.

That's why I started getting all my stuff delivered to my work address. With a security guard at the building reception all day and even beyond business hours, they cannot claim that there was "no answer at the address".

Did they leave a card to say they called?

horse7 wrote: »
    Did they leave a card to say they called?

No. Nothing. The customer service guy said that they only leave a note after they "attempt delivery" twice or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

zepman wrote: »
    No. Nothing. The customer service guy said that they only leave a note after they "attempt delivery" twice or something like that.

thats BS.

i'd have left the package with them and told IKEA you have not had any delivery and want you money back.

When more &more people complain, An Post will get it from the people that are actually employing them.

Have had a problem before with An Post person trying to put a 'attempted delivery' docket in my door as i was going to open it. I was expecting him and saw him come. Called him out on why he was putting the docket in without even bothering to ring the doorbell. He stammered and stuttered around. When I asked him where the package was he eventually admitted that he didnt have it with him. He left it back at the office. Lazy git just didnt want to bring packages around....just wanted to drop off the attempted delivery notices and have people have to go to the depot and pick up the package themselves.

Is such a shame, An post use to be the best.

daheff wrote: »
    i'd have left the package with them and told IKEA you have not had any delivery and want you money back.

We had just moved to this apartment and pretty much needed the stuff from the packages, so just picked them up ourselves. We did lodge a complaint with IKEA though with a thorough explanation of what happened. Got a response saying they would look into it, but nothing came out of it.

daheff wrote: »
    Have had a problem before with An Post person trying to put a 'attempted delivery' docket in my door as i was going to open it. I was expecting him and saw him come. Called him out on why he was putting the docket in without even bothering to ring the doorbell. He stammered and stuttered around. When I asked him where the package was he eventually admitted that he didnt have it with him. He left it back at the office. Lazy git just didnt want to bring packages around....just wanted to drop off the attempted delivery notices and have people have to go to the depot and pick up the package themselves.

I've read this exact experience somewhere. Not sure if it was on here or elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if someone else had the exact experience.

Luckily, for now, I live a 5-minute-walk away from work so I get everything delivered to my work address so even large packages are easy to bring home.

But the next time I have to get something delivered to my home address, I'm gonna get on their case if I experience the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving to the Couriers forum.

Thanks,I didn't know we had a courier's forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement