Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid Bike for commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Wouldn’t worry about weight on a commuter. Nice tires and nice hrdyo disc might be the best choice. Drops are more adaptable and better in tight traffic in my opinion also. Get something that take mudguards well. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm going to be starting a short 12km each way commute soon. Would the Trek FX4 be suitable?

https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/bikes-c19/hybrid-bikes-c200/trek-fx-sport-4-p22048/s126310?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trek-fx-sport-4-silver-large-color-silver-size-large-color-silver-size-large-549616-sil-l&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtSxxZHB4QIVzrDtCh21jgkAEAQYAyABEgLtx_D_BwE

My road bike weighs 8.5kg so the Trek 4 comes in at a little over 10kg. The Trek 3 is 12 or so kg. I had a look at the 3 in the LBS at the weekend. I lifted it and it felt so heavy compared to what I'm used too.

I don't really want to buy a hybrid, but I'm thinking my road bike might get wrecked. The commute is from Dundrum to Tallaght and is cycle path a lot of the way.

Be interested in hearing what you go for. I have the same commute and am considering trying cycling. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Would you buy a road bike version with dropped bars? Could double as a winter bike as well. Hybrid is grand, but dropped bars would offer a bit more flexibility in terms of hand positioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I got an FX4 on the BTWS. Had it a year and two months now. I have to preface this with the fact that i know shag all about bikes, but this bike in question has served me well. I''ve done 5500km on it since i got it and had no faults with it (tbf i serviced it shortly after buying it and again last October).

I put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on it last February as the stock tyres became paper thin.

I had pannier racks on it for a while, but took them off a few weeks ago, because i go out for long spins at the weekend and they were weighing it down a bit.

I do regret not getting a road bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I use a hybrid for my commute and literally the only reason for this is that I need flat bars to accommodate the Weeride child seat I have. once they've outgrown that seat I'll be straight back to a bike with drops.

if you want something more robust than a road bike but prefer to retain the drops (as I would) then maybe look at a gravel or cross bike?

as others have said, get something that can take mudguards and also get decent tyres such as the Schwalbe marathon plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I would prefer dropped bars alright. So is a gravel bike like a sturdy version of a road bike?

What I really want is a bike with disc brakes and maybe a wider tyre, cos I plan on cycling in all weathers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would prefer dropped bars alright. So is a gravel bike like a sturdy version of a road bike?
    pretty much, would usually have a more relaxed geometry and wider tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

What I really want is a bike with disc brakes and maybe a wider tyre, cos I plan on cycling in all weathers.

pretty much, yes. they look pretty similar but are more robust, allow for some off-roading (so will handle pot-holed roads better) and will have wider tyres too.

have a read of this for some background / options.

what's your budget btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

pretty much, would usually have a more relaxed geometry and wider tyres.

That's probably what I'm looking for, disc brakes and and a wider tyre for all weather cycling.

Advertisement