Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstall/Starting from scratch

Options
  • 08-04-2019 9:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭

For a long time now I've had an issue with bluetooth on my iMac. If I connect any Garmin watches it kills the mouse and keyboard. Garmin suggest it's not their issue. Anyway, I'm no too fussed about the Garmin side as I can just sync via the phone app which works well.

The other stuff is waking the machine from sleep, it can be slow and then the mouse/keyboard can be MIA for a bit, or else they just go altogether. A restart mostly solves that, but not every time.

I reinstalled Mojave a few weeks ago, just the OS, I didn't wipe my data. That approach didn't help. I wonder therefore is there a way of going back to basics entirely with the machine, just a clean install of OS and having to import the data from a HD. Last time I had it in with Compub for something else they suggested corrupt data might be causing the issue. So if reinstall and then go from a Time Machine backup I'm possibly just repeating the problem I have. I know that from before. Is there a way of detecting corrupt data, or even detecting where it might be? Should I reinstall OS, use Time Machine for apps only and manually drop in my personal docs? I'm fed up with the bluetooth issue, it's a PITA and happens multiple times a day when I'm at the machine.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Time to revisit this as the bluetooth issue just won't go away. Dropping off, without any Garmin going on. Still don't know what the cause is, really.

I've deleted some apps I no longer use. Thinking again of wiping everything, followed by a clean install. As above, docs and apps from Time Machine could simply recreate the problem and I'd be back at square one. I forget the extent to which I can individually import items. There's been a bit of an issue with my user account too, so would like to start a new one rather than carry over HD > users > TBO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Backed stuff up. Created a bootable USB with Majove. Started the process, rebooted and option, keyboard and mouse were dead. Rebooted...dead again until they were detected.

Technology.

Will try again tomorrow.

Good news. Wiping/reinstalling...Garmin now starts without killing bluetooth, hooray. Bad news - keyboard and mouse still drop off because whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Interested in what you did to make all this happen. My Mac desktop is a late 2013 machine but I feel it has definitely slowed down over the years.

faceman wrote: »
    Interested in what you did to make all this happen. My Mac desktop is a late 2013 machine but I feel it has definitely slowed down over the years.

Originally? No idea. When I had it in with Compub for another issue they said it was probably corrupted data. Wouldn't know how to trace it back myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement