Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you plan on ever stopping vaping?

Options
  • 08-04-2019 10:26pm

as the title says do you plan on ever giving up or to vape on forever?

personally I vaped for years but a month ago just decided to stop.

was using 3mg liquid sub-ohm for the last couple of years but would have being going through a fair amount of liquid.

bought a nicorette quickmist just in case but haven't needed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

glasso wrote: »
    as the title says do you plan on ever giving up or to vape on forever?

personally I vaped for years but a month ago just decided to stop.

was using 3mg liquid sub-ohm for the last couple of years but would have being going through a fair amount of liquid.

bought a nicorette quickmist just in case but haven't needed it.

My mod just broke and I've around an hour's worth of battery life left.

I'm living remotely, car sump damaged have to wait until Thursday to get the job done, so cars out, vape nearly out...

I'm thinking of just enjoying the last few puff's, have enough food until Thursday etc

I'm getting tired of it myself to be honest....

whatever the reasons are it seems to be a lot easier to get over than cigarettes.

maybe it's the ammonia in cigarettes that produces a stronger effect on the receptors that nicotine binds to - whatever it is the experience is not like trying to give up cigarettes.

obviously would depend on what strength liquid being used, devices and tanks used even, person-to-person differences etc etc.

even drinking alcohol is not a big issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I've switched mainly back to mouth to lung vaping from direct lung vaping after many years and have noticed a massive decrease in the amount of time that I'm actually vaping. I can easily go for hours without even thinking of having a vape. Don't know if I'll ever quit altogether as I like to have the option there but I think I'd be confident enough to know that I could if I ever decided to pack it in.

I've switched mainly back to mouth to lung vaping from direct lung vaping after many years and have noticed a massive decrease in the amount of time that I'm actually vaping. I can easily go for hours without even thinking of having a vape. Don't know if I'll ever quit altogether as I like to have the option there but I think I'd be confident enough to know that I could if I ever decided to pack it in.

Yeah I was chain-vaping a lot so said I'd give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I don't have any plans to give up in the immediate future. I hardly drink these days. I go months without having any and I drink mostly decaff coffee and rarely drink coke or the likes. My only vice is 3mg vaping which is predominently MTL. I probably will eventually but I like trying out new flavours too much for now.

• Advertisement

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    My mod just broke and I've around an hour's worth of battery life left.

I'm living remotely, car sump damaged have to wait until Thursday to get the job done, so cars out, vape nearly out...

I'm thinking of just enjoying the last few puff's, have enough food until Thursday etc

I'm getting tired of it myself to be honest....

did you hold out?

I'm still enjoying it, annoying enough :P But I've ordered 0mg juices and nic shots so I'm tapering the nicotine a good bit now. If I'm still doing it in a few years I'll not be too worried. The difference after almost a year is brilliant.

Interesting article on how other elements in tobacco smoke (MAO inhibitors) increase the nicotine addiction and cravings and that nicotine itself in isolation is not as addictive

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/25/38/8593

May be why I've personally not had intense cravings when stopping vaping as compared to real cigs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Vaped for over 8 years.

First week in Feb i woke up on a Saturday morning and i needed to put a nic shot in a bottle, recoil my Haku, and i needed to wash and refill my squonk bottle, normally i'd have done this in my sleep, have the whole lot done in 10 minutes, but the thought of it was destroying me.

So i just tossed it to the side, and haven't vaped since.

Much easier to give up than i had thought it would be, i was always of the opinion that i'd vape for life, but it's actually so refreshing being able to go away from home without a pouch of spare batteries, juice, building supplies and a charger.

eeloe wrote: »
    Vaped for over 8 years.

First week in Feb i woke up on a Saturday morning and i needed to put a nic shot in a bottle, recoil my Haku, and i needed to wash and refill my squonk bottle, normally i'd have done this in my sleep, have the whole lot done in 10 minutes, but the thought of it was destroying me.

So i just tossed it to the side, and haven't vaped since.

Much easier to give up than i had thought it would be, i was always of the opinion that i'd vape for life, but it's actually so refreshing being able to go away from home without a pouch of spare batteries, juice, building supplies and a charger.

I was sort of shocked also. craving is sort of a mild suggestion that is easily dismissed and nowhere near as intense and persistent as would be the case with analogues. vaping for years must produce a much milder addiction imo

there must be some truth in that MAO inhibitor combination with nicotine in analogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'd be more worried about smoking urges returning, even after 6 years, than the craving to vape. I've cut down a lot since I started, no plans to completely jack it in as I'll either start biting me nails or the smell of a freshly lit sweet cigarette might be tempting.

What I have done is cut down spending on vape gear by a hell of a lot. I won't buy a new mod or tank these days until the ones I have are ready to disintegrate. The gear scene in vaping is a bit of a joke, many of us gave up the cig's for health reasons but for financial reasons to boot. Now we see vapers spending hundreds on mods, tanks and batteries and saving sweet FO. There's vaping 'reviewers' with hundreds of thousands of subscribers shoving new devices in our faces every day and it'll be much the same tank or mod in a slightly different shape, colour or size and we suddenly feel we have to have it. An iStick from 4 years back does the exact same as any mod produced today, it fires up the coil to vaporize the liquid so we get our hit.

Been thinking on MTL myself, as I'm sick to death of 'clouds' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I'd be more worried about smoking urges returning, even after 6 years, than the craving to vape. I've cut down a lot since I started, no plans to completely jack it in as I'll either start biting me nails or the smell of a freshly lit sweet cigarette might be tempting.

I was similar to yourself for a few years after starting vaping, thought that the smell of a cigarette would tempt me back but in the first 3 years after starting I have taken a total of 3 puffs from a cigarette and hated it. Don’t see myself going back to them, even if they dropped back to a fiver for 20.
    What I have done is cut down spending on vape gear by a hell of a lot. I won't buy a new mod or tank these days until the ones I have are ready to disintegrate. The gear scene in vaping is a bit of a joke, many of us gave up the cig's for health reasons but for financial reasons to boot. Now we see vapers spending hundreds on mods, tanks and batteries and saving sweet FO. There's vaping 'reviewers' with hundreds of thousands of subscribers shoving new devices in our faces every day and it'll be much the same tank or mod in a slightly different shape, colour or size and we suddenly feel we have to have it. An iStick from 4 years back does the exact same as any mod produced today, it fires up the coil to vaporize the liquid so we get our hit.

Been thinking on MTL myself, as I'm sick to death of 'clouds' too.

I've also been in this boat for years, I saw the latest and greatest and some of them did look good but until last week I had a nautilus mini on an istick power, that’s the height of my purchases. I know what I wanted, and I stuck with it. It always struck me as weird, that someone would go to a shop, or when I saw them, at vapefest, and buy 2-3 new mods, and 4-5 new atty's or RDA's or whatever and then a week or so later you'd see the exact same person selling them because they don’t see themselves using it regularly.

All in all, I’m vaping 7+ years, moved from the ****e ego-t's to what I’m on now and I’m happy with it, on 12mg, and I’m not planning on stopping any time soon. I'd like to think I could just stop, like Eeloe above, but I won’t be sure until I get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

I spend way too much on vape gear. "My collection" has kinda become an addiction in itself. Still I do enjoy new vape mail and ain't doing anyone any harm.

No plans to quit vaping anytime some, but hopefully some day.

I bought a started kit for 45 quid about 9 months ago and a back-up crappy one for a tenner. Last week I bought a new tank for 20 quid and will probably drop 40 on a proper mod for it. That'll be all my spending for the foreseeable. I know it's lazy and all the rest but I made a conscious decision not to get "into" the whole vaping thing as far as I could with rebuildables and steeping and all that. Just buy it and use it. Because I know how stupid I am when I get proper into stuff and how awful I am with money :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I spend way too much on vape gear. "My collection" has kinda become an addiction in itself. Still I do enjoy new vape mail and ain't doing anyone any harm.

No plans to quit vaping anytime some, but hopefully some day.

Nothing wrong in a wee collection, but I've seen people on FB groups who were showing off £100's worth of gear one week, and asking "what should I buy?" the next ... silly buggers. They're watching too much of these vape shows where the presenters have 7-8 mods on the go at once and they desperately want to keep up with them. But honestly, look at a tank or mod review released this very week, and one from 2 years back - feck all difference :D

I think that you might be surprised how much easier than you think it could be to stop having spent so long off analogues. there is a definite difference in the nature of the nicotine addiction. far weaker with vaping compared to analogues - in my case (and the other poster above it seems).

of course everyone is different.

not having to faff around with charging batteries, stocking up on liquid and worrying if something will break when away from base is nice.

non-elevated heart rate and better sleep quality also a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

After the third year of vaping,shinyitus took over for another 7 years,I had close to 80 mods & tanks running at the same time & each with a different flavour,most of my coils would last at least 6 months before I had to change it.

I'm still using some of my voltage only mods,no sign of them dying at all,they were made to last.
    The last mod I bought must be 2 years ago I think,it was the vandyvape pulse mechanical,a few mods have died but I never replaced them...No Room:D:D

I still have loads of RTA's,never opened them,I'll use them some day,I have 42 mods & tanks still running everyday,mostly DL,all my MTL vaping is upstairs & my favourite mod is in the shower room,the Pockex,I have 2 of them in there,hard to believe it,fantastic flavour from a Capella apple pie & custard which I mixed & I change the coils every 3 months.

I have thought of giving up vaping but that thought makes me sweat,so I gave up thinking about it,I might not miss the Nic as much as I would the actions of vaping,I still use 9mg for DL & around 20ish for MTL (72nic) I know,I would miss the Nic:D:D
    I'll vape to my grave...:)

After the third year of vaping,shinyitus took over for another 7 years,I had close to 80 mods & tanks running at the same time & each with a different flavour,most of my coils would last at least 6 months before I had to change it.

I'm still using some of my voltage only mods,no sign of them dying at all,they were made to last.
    The last mod I bought must be 2 years ago I think,it was the vandyvape pulse mechanical,a few mods have died but I never replaced them...No Room:D:D

I still have loads of RTA's,never opened them,I'll use them some day,I have 42 mods & tanks still running everyday,mostly DL,all my MTL vaping is upstairs & my favourite mod is in the shower room,the Pockex,I have 2 of them in there,hard to believe it,fantastic flavour from a Capella apple pie & custard which I mixed & I change the coils every 3 months.

I have thought of giving up vaping but that thought makes me sweat,so I gave up thinking about it,I might not miss the Nic as much as I would the actions of vaping,I still use 9mg for DL & around 20ish for MTL (72nic) I know,I would miss the Nic:D:D
    I'll vape to my grave...:)

wow!

When I started vaping it was with the sole intention of quitting the cigs and at the time all that was readily available was the ego type batteries and clearos. Juice was a very small selection and diy was still a bit away on the horizon but none of that bothered me as I only wanted an alternative to smoking.
    Things began to change,for the better I'll add, with the arrival of the Subtank Mini and the discovery of Fastech and Gearbest. All of these changed my whole idea of vaping,it became more than just a means to stopping cigarettes and of course the discovery of a certain forum on Boards.ie led me into a more social aspect of vaping which at that stage was becoming more of a hobby for me than a smoking alternative.
    As thecageyone said in a previous post some people don't really know when to stop with the purchasing of every bit of new kit that comes on the market when all you really need is a couple of good setups to keep you going. I've owned,sold,exchanged a countless number of mods,tanks etc over the years and now I posess 6 what would probably be termed as high end mods and about 6 cheaper but equally as effective mods. As for tanks I really don't know,maybe100 maybe more. The only noticeable difference in mods apart from aesthetics is how they do temp control. Personally I only use tc for mtl vaping as I find it gives a smoother vape with higher nic juice than wattage mode, I will also use it for direct lung in rda's as it helps to avoid dry hits when you have a number of devices on the go.
    The top device for tc is without doubt Diocodes followed by Evolv and Yihi but for ordinary wattage vaping then anything is as good as the next really and you don't need to spend a fortune.
    I'm probably digressing a bit now,tbh I don't think I'll quit vaping anytime soon,it has given me much more than what I originally intended, a social outlet (strange maybe), friends, an opportunity to pursue a long time interest in electronics (built 3 mods so far), a subject to talk about for hours (strange again maybe),so I feel that I'd probably lose more if I was to stop vaping than I'd gain.
    Having said that, if some medic arrives and says that all this vaping is detrimental to our health then I feel that I'd be able to stop without much difficulty....:)

I just wasn't cut out for vaping in moderation - too easy to chain vape for me.

actually developed mild tinnitus from it (pg apparently is ototoxic or maybe just too much nicotine) - pretty much gone since I stopped.

• Advertisement

That's interesting,since I went back to mtl I've switched my mixes from 70/30 to 50/50 and I've noticed some tinnitus issues also. I'll investigate this a little further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I see no reason to give up without terrifyingly negative data. If that happens I'll easily quit. Had a bout of bronchitis recently & gave up for 3 weeks - zero struggle.
    Drank an extra coffee a day for the extra stimulation.
    I'm naturally lethargic so having some stimulant to perk me into some kind of productive mindset is nice without having to go pay a doctor and a pharmacy for good-boy amphetamines.

I guess that's my addiction - very minor amounts of stimulant and I prefer how nicotine acts over caffeine (which I find much more unpredictable, sort of a bumpy ride and can have me wired for the full day).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes. Unfortunately I suffer from dry mouth and vaping does not help at all. I do not believe vaping is 100% healthy. A lot better than smoking of course.

No plans on giving up. Not so much for the nic (I mostly vape 3mg MTL) but for the flavours and physical actions of vaping. It's like going for a dump without a phone. I don't know where I'd be if I forgot my phone when I took a crap haha. I wouldn't ever go back to smoking, I don't even think about it. I was in hospital for a week last september with no vape and didn't even think about the possibility of having a sneaky fag. Can't say I was climbing the walls or anything. I did think to myself, ooh I'd love a vape the odd time, but that quickly passed me by.

With regard to buying gear. I've bought a lot over the years. Been vaping since the ego days. Some high end stuff like a provari, several kayfuns, one of which I'm still using 4 years on, on a daily basis. That and stupid amounts of juice. Thankfully I'm in a lull right now and the urge to buy unnecessary crap has passed for the time being. Just my monthly supply of my ADV, a cheap spearmint I like, so that's just £20 a month. I probably have a couple of litres worth of juice in my drawer which I need to make my way through.

TinCool wrote:
    With regard to buying gear. I've bought a lot over the years. Been vaping since the ego days. Some high end stuff like a provari, several kayfuns, one of which I'm still using 4 years on, on a daily basis. That and stupid amounts of juice. Thankfully I'm in a lull right now and the urge to buy unnecessary crap has passed for the time being. Just my monthly supply of my ADV, a cheap spearmint I like, so that's just £20 a month. I probably have a couple of litres worth of juice in my drawer which I need to make my way through.

If you're ever getting rid of the Provari let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

A few years back I decided to splash out on a Provari. Had it three weeks or so and then on a night out in a busy and noisy pub I slipped it into a inside breast pocket of my jacket, not realising the bottom of the pocket was ripped..

Never forked out that kind of money on a one off purchase of vape gear ever since.

Never forked out that kind of money on a one off purchase of vape gear ever since.

It's a bummer when something like that happens, I've been on the hunt for a P3 for a while now, bloody things are like hens teeth. :)

Sorry Dr. Bill, but I sold that on ages ago. It was a Provari Mini 2.5 btw. The LED screen on it was green. Lovely mod, but I got tired of having to charge 18350's all the time so moved it on after about a year of ownership. Kind of regretting it now they're out of business. I found the 18650 equivalent too long.
    556732eecc731e9c2b8b45b1

Advertisement