Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Try Vix image.
    I setup many of these boxes with vix and had no reports of boxes locking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've had this box a few months now, largely without issue and I'm generally pretty happy with it. However at the start I had an issue where the picture would freeze, the box would become unresponsive but the audio would continue to play in the background. The only way out of this was to perform a hard reboot using the on/off button at the back of the box.

I could go 2 weeks without it happening once then it might happen 3 times in 2 days.

I did my own bit of digging and found that memory usage was quite high. This was surprising as I have no extra add ons installed except your standard epg and sly skin. Also running openATV.

I then installed the cacheflush plugin and set it to run on an automatic schedule at the highest settings. Again this has seemed to largely solve the problem, but I'm still hit with random bouts of the box freezing and being unresponsive. While not a massive issue, it's actually just a bit disappointing if I'm honest.

Just wondering has anyone come across something similar or have a solution?

Thanks
    Maybe coincidence but a recurring theme over the years is boxes misbehaving with the Sly skin including high memory use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

Could you say a bit more on the box is set up, does it have usb for epg, is it an internal HDD, is it an SSD, what version of openatv? and is it well ventilated?

That box has a multiboot function so do you have more than one image on it and do you know the slot the current image is on?

And finally if you touch leads at back does it cause any effect? It has 1gb of ram memory!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

have to say i changed my zgemma for a gigablue and it is more stable, the zgemma was fine but if i wasnt watching tv for a week and came back to it sometimes it needed a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

I have a tiviar alpha+ and I never, never, have to power cycle it. I am running softcam mgcamd and connected to 4 sat's. Never misses a heart beat.
    I have repaired psu's for guys on these boxes but lets face it the dog's on the streets could get one of these back to life if the psu pops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The latest Vix version on offer is 10th Oct v5.4.001
    I was never a fan of the motorised concept for daily use. I have a multiLNB setup for 9, 13, 19 and 28 via a multiswitch. This means all rooms can access all satellites and Saorview at the same time.
    Thanks Gerry/hs, happy enough with my setup as a fixed dish on 28e through dieqc means dish only moves to other Sat's not when 28e is selected. Good to see a recent firmware update.
    A bit out of practice setting up new receivers but will use this thread alot no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Cacheflush is not needed on a zgemmah7s and using openvix and skin vix night hd with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Abominable JoMan

Hi everyone thanks for all the replies.

Just to answer a few questions:
    Version of OpenATV is 6.4.
    EPG is stored on the internal HDD I had installed in the box - not the internal flash.
    Only this 1 image installed on the box.
    Touching at the back of the box has no effect, although maybe about 2 months ago I did change the power leads to a 12V 5A as I had read on other forums this may assist the box. Can't say I've noticed any difference from this though.
    Box is also well ventilated, on a shelf by itself with plenty of breathing room to all sides.

To the point about cacheflush, when I view the settings, it tells me my memory usage is 81%, I have uncached memory size set as 20,480KB (the max). If I disable this, my memory usage goes up to about 98%.

I might try changing to vix..

This is running current version of Vix with one recording in progress. The low uptime is because I was messing with it :)
    531641.png

Think Gerry is recording Brookside at 8pm:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

greasepalm wrote: »
    Think Gerry is recording Brookside at 8pm:D:D

Then over to babenation at 9pm!

Hate to disappoint you but...

531654.png

So the next screenshot will be of something you baked Gerry?

I'm trying to figure out if a babenation is an emerging 3rd world country or one inhabited by clever young pigs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

im on vix too with no problems

Got my receiver today and have been scanning channels, running ABM and crossepg etc. One annoying issue I cant seem to solve is that the edges of the display when in the epg are not visible, have tried different aspect ratios but no joy? Any help appreciated.
    Have read various reports from forums of the ability of this receiver to drive a motor using usals, I haven't tried it yet but hope to in the next few days, has anyone any experience?
    If this is possible I then hope to configure the tuners in Advanced Configuration mode to allow the motor to move for all sats except astra 2 which is a fixed dish connected through a diseqc switch.
    Thanks all

SETUP>USER INTERFACE>SKIN SETUP>OSD POSITION>
    Should allow you to tweak the overscan and bring the display back in.
    The tuner setup includes several thingies for positioners but I've never dabbled. Presumably it will make more sense to you once you get in there.
    Finally my standard warning to anyone of a geeky nature. Messing with enigma boxes is highly addictive ;)
    Oh and don't forget to make backups of your settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭henke

Can you run a full version of Kodi on these boxes? On either OpenVix or OpenATV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I'm selling a H9S combo if anyone is interested on here. It was bought 2 weeks ago from World Of Satellite (with receipts) for my parents but they opted for the ease of Sky instead.

Its the highest spec H9 model, 3 tuners (2 x sat and 1 x saorview), 8GB EMMC FLASH / 1GB DDR3 Memory

Drop a PM if you're interested! - €75 (originally paid €109)

EDIT: Just to add, I have a H2S, H7S AND H9 already so I don't need another one! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

henke wrote: »
    Can you run a full version of Kodi on these boxes? On either OpenVix or OpenATV?

Yes you can, Kodi v18.9

Ported for Enigma2

• Advertisement

SETUP>USER INTERFACE>SKIN SETUP>OSD POSITION>
    Should allow you to tweak the overscan and bring the display back in.
    The tuner setup includes several thingies for positioners but I've never dabbled. Presumably it will make more sense to you once you get in there.
    Finally my standard warning to anyone of a geeky nature. Messing with enigma boxes is highly addictive ;)
    Oh and don't forget to make backups of your settings.

Thanks Gerry, got the OSD Position sorted and got a skin I like and a favourites bouquet created. I am going to proceed slowly and let my other box move the dish for now until I am happy to experiment further with tuner configurations.
    Did a settings backup also, is there an option to have the settings backup automatically?
    The colours of the image look a bit dull, where can I tweak them to make them and the image more pleasing to the eye?
    Thanks

To use box as you require one fixed and other motorised do this as I have same set up .

Tuner A set at 28east = fixed. simple single.

Tuner B = go mode and scrool to positioner, ie use arrows on remote next to ok button. Positioner. and this is USALS. You will see longitude, arrow down and enter co=ordinates, change east to west, put in latitude, leave north, extra motor = no, force signal = no. press green to save and your done.

To get exact co-ordinates use google maps, put in eircode, then on red blob zoom in until it will go no further, right click, select whats here and thats your USALS settings. Ignore minus sign.

When you are recording on 28 east and select another channel dish will move automatically to 28 east.

No issues with dull image and ask if you can try another hdmi cable,running a 4K tv?

No issues with dull image and ask if you can try another hdmi cable,running a 4K tv?

4k TV so will try another cable later.

swoofer wrote: »
    To use box as you require one fixed and other motorised do this as I have same set up .

Tuner A set at 28east = fixed. simple single.

Tuner B = go mode and scrool to positioner, ie use arrows on remote next to ok button. Positioner. and this is USALS. You will see longitude, arrow down and enter co=ordinates, change east to west, put in latitude, leave north, extra motor = no, force signal = no. press green to save and your done.

To get exact co-ordinates use google maps, put in eircode, then on red blob zoom in until it will go no further, right click, select whats here and thats your USALS settings. Ignore minus sign.

When you are recording on 28 east and select another channel dish will move automatically to 28 east.

Thanks will give it a try, just confused by "When you are recording on 28 east and select another channel dish will move automatically to 28 east" The plan is the dish wont move to 28 east only the other positions.

Ooops! What I meant to say was " When you are recording a channel on 28east with tuner A and then select another channel on 28 east then dish will move to 28 east. But if you are watching on 19east and recording on 28 east then dish will stay on 19east and if your are recording on 19east and recording on 28 east and then select a channel on 28 east dish will not move as there will be no free tuners.

Its very simple really. And if you select to record on 28 east then you will see channels greyed out but those on same transponder will be ok.

To correct picture quaiity can you say what image you are using and the skin. There is a plugin called video enhancements that I use BUT that Zgemma has an ARM chip and that gives an exceptional picture. I would check hdmi lead and the picture settings on TV. Say tv make as well and model. In actual fact you should have a stunning picture.

I should add your box has a feature called multiboot, which means you can have 4 images to play with and compare. And believe it or not images can make a difference to picture quality. Images is used to denote the software, so openvix, openatv, pure2, Openpli, HDF are all images.

NB I just checked for recording and it does not grey out the channels when using one tuner as box knows there is another tuner free.

All will become clear with practice

As a twin sat tuner box you can only record on one tuner and can view other channels on the same TP info,if not box goes to the other channel that you want to view be it on same sat or different sat.Recordings take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

So far my box has been working fine but now it says the disc is full. When I look at the file list there is nothing there and when I ftp in, nothing in the hdd folders. Is there something else that I can try or is it likely a dodgy disc?
    Thanks in advance
    Rn

Usb or internal hdd need to be setup for use ,did you start off with a format of new items and iniatilise it for ext4 which is proper use for enigma 2 boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Usb or internal hdd need to be setup for use ,did you start off with a format of new items and iniatilise it for ext4 which is proper use for enigma 2 boxes.

Thanks!
    Internal and had been recording until this morning. Got a disc full? message but can't find anything to delete

Advertisement