Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spaced

This is a feature I didn't know existed. So handy.

Now we know where you are after every restart !

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭paddym1

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been using a H&S successfully for 2 years, and I have to say it's been great - I've had Saorview, satellite, and IPTV (through a VPN installed on the box), and have picked up a few ideas along the way from this forum.

Then I changed internet provider - moved from Eir to Vodafone. While I can't be 100% sure that this caused the problems, I know that the first problem I discovered was that I couldn't get the VPN to work. This wasn't a disaster, since I rarely use the IPTV, so I wasn't too worried.

However, I then realised that OpenWebif is not working, and I cannot find a way to get it going. I use this to manage my bouquets (favourites etc) since I found it more user-friendly than any of the alternatives. Then I realised that I have the same problem with Dreambox Control Centre (DCC) - this is the programme I used to FTP movies (or ipk's etc.) from the laptop to the H7S, but this also won't connect.

The box is fully connected to the internet, downloads all updates etc. (over ethernet connection). The laptop is on the same network, connected over WiFi. When I connect to the router, the router sees the H7S. But when I enter the H7S IP address in my browser window I get the "can't reach this page....192.168.1.9 took too long to respond.

I have factory reset, restored older images, uninstalled and re-installed the OpenWebif extension, disabled it and re-enabled it, turned off the firewall on the router, then on again etc. I've set the H7S to a "reserved" IP, and tried setting that IP as an "exposed host", but nothing lets me communicate with the box with either OpenWebif or DCC

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭swoofer

You did not say the image but can you check FTP is turned on in the box, its menu, setup, network, utilities, then you should see ftp, check it and report back with image as well.

I am messing with a h7s as I type.

Thanks for the reply. Of course I should have mentioned the image. I have OpenAtv 6.4. Under Setup --> System --> Network --> FTP Setup it shows Autostart "enabled", and Current status "running".

And I have set a password on the box.

good, now go to plugins and have a look at settings on webif. check port number. and the router is?

• Advertisement

Port number appears there as 00080. Not sure what you mean about the router. It's a Vodafone gigabox.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stupid question time. Are you using locally or remotely ? If you can use locally but not remotely then check router settings.

Some routers use a different subnet for LAN and WiFi so check using the same as the satellite box.

If you can't connect locally then

OpenWebif is not working - Try a different browser on a different device, check script blockers.

General steps (you've done most)

Menu > Plugins > OpenWebif > OpenWebInterface Enabled - yes (if plugin is missing then download it )

Menu > Plugins > OpenWebif > Use new design / Use Modern Interface - try changing this setting to No.

Check which ports are enabled, 00080 for http:// , 00443 for https://

Menu - Setup - Utilities Check what's enabled and if you can see them.

Thanks for the suggestions Capt'n. I am trying to connect locally (in the same room). I've tried Edge & Google Chrome on 2 different laptops.

Menu > Plugins > OpenWebif > OpenWebInterface Enabled - yes (if plugin is missing then download it ); Plugin is there, and enabled.

Menu > Plugins > OpenWebif > Use new design / Use Modern Interface - try changing this setting to No. I've tried it set to both "Yes" and "No", with reboots between attempts

When I set Enable HTTP to "yes", it shows Port 00080. When I enable HTTPS the HTTPS port is 00443.

I guess I should probably look for a spare ethernet cable and try hardwiring the laptop to the router - if that works it might help narrow down the problem.

If there are any more suggestions, I'll certainly try them later this evening. Thanks.

So I tried hard-wiring the laptop, and still no joy.....it seems the zgemma just doesn't want to communicate - it's getting updates etc. from the internet, but refuses to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Does openATV have a network test option in the network settings? This would show what the box is trying to connect in terms of IP, DNS etc.

If all else fails you could try openVix instead as a second image in a 2nd slot. You will still be able to restore your bouquets etc from your backups.

• Advertisement

I have open TV on another box with a sky skin so can look and you can as Gerry says go to network settings, test network, restart network, select either DHCP or fixed. Can you log in to that gigabox and see IP for the Zgemma. Now its possible old network settings are in zgemma under nameserver, that's the ip of router.

It might be an idea to post on the broadband network and say its a gigabox. There may be some qos in router.

Did you try another port in webif? say 8080 or 8888 etc.

Gerry/Swoofer,

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions. I can confirm that there is indeed a network test option, and the IP address reported there is the same as the IP address listed by the router. I have also tried changing the port number in OpenWebif, but it made no difference.

Nameserver 1 lists the IP address of the router. In Nameserver 2 I have tried 0.0.0.0, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, none of which seemed to make a difference

Unfortunately I have to go away for a few days (work), so I won't get to try anything until towards the end of next week. For the moment, thanks a lot for the suggestions - maybe I'll try OpenVix when I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I have recently got a H7s and trying to set it up now and running into 2 problems

1) I an unable to flash the latest sw. I tried following all the instructions -

Copy files to usb (Blank, formatted, and less than 8GB - tried several)

Insert USB and power on, then hold Power button on front

Then the box jsut a quick flash of the boot text on teh LEDs but stays sayign boot.....doesnt go o flash

2) Having trouble with Saorview. I have a Saorview rabbits ears that work another TV no problem, but when I connect to the zgemma and do a scan with the AutoBouquetmaker it comes up with an error

any help appreciated

Ooops, I have been working on a dodgy h7s for the last few days. Did it come with an image already loaded and what is it? Where did you read you flaSh from USB? Have you configured the tuners correctly? To get SAORVIEW you scan with the tuner first. And the tuner is a dual its either a cable or a DTT, it has to be configured. Do you know your Saorview channel numbers?

Once an image is flashed you should update via the box ie online.

Was the box new and why are you trying to update the software?

That box is tricky so say a bit more, have you an HDD installed or a USB for epg?

So it came with OpenVix already installed - and I did the update online an currently has version 5.4016 installed.

I see that the latest version is version 6.x and just wanted to start with the last release before configuring everything

For a Saorview.....What do you mean scan with tuner first.....where is that?

Also i have a HDD installed, but I don't thin the box has detected it.....I need to check this again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

You can update vix to latest version via box blue button Image Manager.

Green Button to do a backup on working hdd

Yellow button for Downloads and open it up to choose what version you need to flash using Blue button when image has stored on box.

Saorview needs to be setup for DVB-T---IRELAND--as i live in DUBLIN-THREE ROCK IS ME and if close to transmitter should pick it up.

Then you can go down the list and your details for Saorview should be seen.

Start Scan will scan Saorview or others if using sat or can scan DVB-T only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

On the HDD comment - if you installed it yourself, you need to initialise the drive before it will work (essentially this formats the drive to a linux filesystem).

I think the option is in the Storage Settings menu, but let me know if you're struggling to find it.

Yep...struggling to find it......I know I saw it somewhere....but cannot find it now....

For the Saorview issue.....I was getting the error below when selecting Saorview as one of the providers in ABM, so i retune using teh DVB-T frequency finder and it found a new transponder (2Rn-1).

Now I seem to have Saorview except for RTE1

I think it should be under Menu -> System -> Storage

But when I go into System menu I see no storage option

i am not sure what is going on with the HDD. It sees to b there when i telnet to the box.....

• Advertisement

For openvix go menu setup and look down menu it should say storage.

For saorview use signal finder and enter the 2 frequencies for your location manually and scan each one. If you dont get rte 1 its an aerial issue.

No storage option in Menu

latest vix ver 6

Ok...saorview is the aerial I suspect. I am picking up a signal on one MUX but not (or very intermittent) on the other.

And these are not the ones for amy local mast....these are for one of the main DTT Masts

Its a indoor aerial so it could be just the location in the house.....

The storage issue has me puzzled.....i may doa factory reset to see if that could bring t back....may I messed up some setting somewhere playing about

To try and sort HDD do a recording and then play it back. You need to tell recordings to save to HDD so go there first. You can falsh the latest vix online ie use remote and it will ask about back up etc snf you can say restore settings.

Go system vix image manager , yellow to downlload

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do a df -h to make sure the right size drive is mounted in the right place.

autobouquetsmaker should have an option for the saorview transmitters , 570 MHz is Channel 33

It just gives me an error message saying HDD full but I know it is not full....it is blank.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Box is not seeing the hdd as that is why you dont see storage.

Power off box at rear after standby for a few minutes then on and see if you see hdd.

When box has formatted the hdd it should read ext4.

• Advertisement

Ok...tried again an I think thsi issue is with my HDD.....i am using an SSD with a Zgemma with a rear slot but it doesn't seem to find the HDD

Tried with a external usb HDD and that works ok.

Now onto troubleshooting the Saorview issue.....will try a different antenna

Advertisement