Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I do find the on/off button can be a pain for switching on and other button pressing can be a chore.

Were you using Sky Q and if so your lnb may need to be changed for viewing on other boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks for replying. No she's coming from Sky Plus so existing dish should be ok. She doesn't watch that much TV anyway so think I might go ahead with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Can anyone advise if it is possible to purchase this box ready to plug and play - as in pre set up with channel lists and a usable skin/interface. I currently have an Ariva 253 combo but it is very laggy and slow to use.

I'm not interested in an elaborate set up or something that is going require lots of tinkering. Am I looking in the wrong place with this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭swoofer

look at virts.ie as I found them very helpful and they will setup with a workable image. give them a ring and they may even send examples. it will be basic but works. get an ssd to make it the real deal and good batteries for remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Deleted

Post edited by MonkieSocks on

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Hi lads. I have two of these boxes and am going to buy a third one. I have the other two set up exactly the way I want them. So my question is (and apologies if it's already been covered), can I copy the image from one of them to the new one so it's exactly the same without having to go through the rounds of setting it up from scratch? I'm running openvix on em by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What I would do is take a copy of my backup file from the old box, put on the new one and use it to 'restore' the settings on the new box. Note, this will copy everything including timers and autotimers (series linking) which would later need to be removed. Of course YOU DO make backups don't you? Backup files have a versionname-date-time.tar.gz format and are found in the backup folder on your HDD.

If you only need the bouquet lists it might be quicker to just copy the files from old to new. In /etc/enigma2/ folder copy any files called 'userbouquet.fav.somename.tv' and 'bouquets.tv' Likewise for radio lists it would be 'userbouquet.fav.somename.radio' and 'bouquets.radio'.

A reboot will be needed for the settings to take effect.

Very informative and just what I was looking for. Thanks Gerry and yes I DO make backups! Thanks for taking the time to reply. Greatly appreciated.

Just to follow up on that. So I FTP'd the backup file from one box to the other and it worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I replaced an Alien2 recently with the H7S. My Zgemma H7S has OpenTV 6.1 installed.

How easy is it to update to 6.4 ?

Do I have to go via 6.2, 6.3 ?

Is the update process set out somewhere for ease of access ?

I've been reading about it and I'm unsure of the references to replacing the bootloader as opposed to the image ?

It's been quite a while since I last did anything like this 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You can go straight to 6.4 - you do not have to update sequentially.

If you go to download the latest OpenATV from the web, you'll see that there are 2 versions of the same file. One file name is appended with 'usb', and the other with 'recovery_emmc'. Basically - these are two ways to flash new (or different) operating systems onto the box, and the version you download depends on the method you choose.

'Recovery_emmc' files are flashed in recovery mode (as the name suggests). In essence, this is sticking the file on a usb, and rebooting the H7S whilst holding down the front button. Generally there is no need to do this. This is more useful if your box is having issues booting etc.

'usb' files can be flashed directly from within the OS your box is currently running (OATV 6.1 in your case). You would stick the file on a usb stick, and look for 'Flash Online/Local' menu option in the settings (sorry, not at my box now to check exactly where in the menu the option lives). Better yet, if your box is connected to the internet, OpenATV can also download the file directly. You just pick from an oncreen list the version of OpenATV you would like, and then it will be downloaded and installed for you. It's very easy, no messing about.

As has been mentioned on this thread (many times now) if you flash from within your current OS (i.e. not a recovery flash) you will get the option to install the new OS in one of 4 'slots'. In essence you can have 4 different OSes on the go and you can switch between them (on reboot). So, for example, you can install OATV 6.4 into slot 2, and leave your existing OATV 6.1 in Slot 1. You can then give 6.4 a whirl and easily revert if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Has anyone a link to the latest best box please? save me a couple of hours searching..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have one of these that I bought about 2 years ago now, but one of the satellite tuners is dead and it tends to do things like lock up after being in standby for a while/overnight, so I'm considering something better.

Admittedly I'm not a big live TV watcher anymore but I'd like something a bit more reliable/stable. What's the next step up on these - preferably with modular tuners?

Also, I bought the current H7S from a UK site but since BRexit it's probably not worth going back there. Is the above site the best alternative for Irish buyers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I bought mine from here, 132 Philipsburgh Avenue Fairview, Dublin 3

Channel's were already loaded so no need to do a scan

Got a 500Gb external hard drive for a extra 30 Euro

Well worth it for recording HD program's

https://freesat.ie/products/zgemma-h7s?_pos=3&_psq=zge&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Post edited by MonkieSocks on

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for that. I stuck a 256gb ssd into the one I have when I got it and agree, a drive is pretty much essential.

As above though, rather than just replace the one I have with another, I'm wondering what is recommended as the next step up?

There are other makers such as Gigablue or VU but you are looking at a 3x price hike for little or no noticeable benefit IMO. Definitely avoid the current official Freesat box which seems to be a total dogs dinner

Post edited by Gerry Wicklow on

Would it not matter what the user has like motorised , fixed , wave torridial or only one sat to aim at and signals that can be picked up .

Hopefully H7s has epg going to a usb or hdd and not internal flash + might need to use a usb stick for swapfile.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spaced

The Freesat box is very poor, my parents got one.

For a expensive branded box the user interface is not intuitive, HDMI CEC function doesn't work properly (with a Phillips TV) , surprisingly slow, poor EPG, obviously no Irish channels. It turns off when you change source , by default and I couldn't find the setting to turn that off.

Bad box for the Irish market

• Advertisement

kaiser get this one and its best if you plug in a sony play tv tuner. It takes an sd card as well. It knocks spots off the zgemma h7s, chalk and cheese. It has a hideaway remote as well. Takes 4 images but you need to know how to configure which I think you do. It comes with a single sat and dtt as well but best option is the sony play tv.

https://www.amazon.de/Receiver-Satellite-Televisions-Recording-Pre-Programmed-PVR-ready/dp/B084CSDTB3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3CV91JQ2H4XMQ&keywords=ax+hd61+4k+uhd&qid=1659293740&sprefix=ax+hd61+4k+uhd%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFMVEU5NVc1MEVERFkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwNzAwODYxV0o2VVlNQ0tIN0hRJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMjM2MTUzSEFUOEJZR0ZIMTA3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have the AX HD51 with the Play TV and it loses signal on the terrestrial tuner every so often.

Same with the USB-T tuners I tried on it and other boxes , they all lose signal every so often and need a hard reboot to get it working again.

What image do you use?

Openatv 6.3 and 6.4

Looking at getting a new receiver , ideally one with 2 sat tuners and 1 terrestrial but there doesnt seem to be much available except the H7s and thats a bit long in the tooth.

I would not give up on the AXHD61 and your set up is like mine. To get the same with inbuilt dtt will cost a lot more. I had the problem with the DTT in the beginning and I tracked it down to, when switching images, and the other one is doing a full restart. I never use deep standby.

I had one box for over 2 years and not lost DTT unless I did the above.

I use open 6.4 on one and openvix on the other.

Have you done any crash logs? And where have you got epg? Box could be rebooting even in the background.

I have to say this is one of the best boxes I ever had. I got one from WOS and other from Amazon de.

Does yours lose DTT while viewing?

Don't get the zgemma.

The next up one is a gigablue but not in stock anywhere. Then there is a VU+ but costs double the AX. Persevere with the AX and bet you can fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭wassie

Why do you recommend not getting a Zgemma?

Never had any of the issues with my H7s you describe above and and it is easy to setup and configure. The biggest gripe I have with the H7s is the bright logo on the display, but theres solutions for that too.

As for the 'hide away remote' feature - its simply an IR extender. But I would caution against 'hiding' any mains powered entertainment device in an enclosed space unless it is well ventilated as it places it at risk of overheating leading to premature failure.

Beside the pricing of the H7s, the best feature is the 'dedicated support channel' on Boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I use a Sony PS3 DTT tuner with my H7S (for the built-in dual tuner) and I have the same issues swoofer describes above.

If I switch images or do a soft reboot, the usb tuner is not detected by the box and I 'lose' my DTT channels. A hard reboot fixes it. The same issue persists across OpenVix and OpenATV.

I have no idea why it happens, but it's so rarely an issue and so easy to fix that I haven't bothered trying to do a deep dive into it.

Given that it's also happening on the AXHD61, seems like it's probably a software issue.

That AX box only has a single satellite tuner. You would not be able to watch one satellite channel while recording another. For the price I think the Zgemma is unbeatable. It's two biggest weaknesses are 1) the bright front logo which is easily fixed with a sharpie or some tape and 2) the remote which needs to be pointed more or less directly at the box.

Look closer the link for the twin is next to it!! And he can add the sony tv thingy. The AX knocks spots off that zgemma, I have both.

• Advertisement

Yes it loses DTT while viewing.

The tuner still shows up in the settings ,it just has no signal.

Ive tried 2 USB-t tuners and the Play TV and they all have the issue.

The Play TV always shows 0% snr on the DTT channels even when they work properly.

Its the only real weakness the Ax51 has.

I wonder have they improved the standard definition picture on the newer boxes like the Hisilicon ones ?

The Aliens and the SH4 chipset had brilliant SD rendering, nothing else comes close.

Advertisement