Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cakedrive

Sorry I can seem to find the Search In Thread feature anymore on boards so apologies if this has been answered before.

What is a better and simple remote for the box? Mostly one that doesn't need to be pointed exactly directly to the box. So I'm probably looking for one that can throw the IR a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭swoofer

One-for-All" RC7140 Remote 10/10 as long as you can program it.

And this one gets 10/10/

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes/urc-7955-smart-control-5#/step-1

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

Thanks . I finally gave up on connecting to WiFi and managed to get connected to hotspot again which hadn't been working either. Suddenly my HDD has stopped working and can't be found. Somehow it seems the process of trying to get WiFi connected has done something. Otherwise a very weird coincidence!

Any ideas how I get my box to see it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Maybe retry powering off and on at rear from deep standby might show your storage again

Thanks grease palm. That seems to have done the trick. I suppose all my recordings are gone forever?

• Advertisement

Scratch that. Seem to have the recordings. Thanks again grease palm!

The reason why i said it as have had the same happen my boxes also over many years.

Yeah. I was fearing the worst there.

Hi. Sorry, I'm back again. Hard drive now seen. Recordings are there. I've managed to view some. Thought everything was back to normal. then box started crashing every time I go to view movies. Also no response when trying to change recording settings. It won't let me access them. Time shift also stopped working. Thanks in advance for any help. :-)

• Advertisement

You have an outdated image on the box and your best bet is to flash the latest version. You will cause more trouble if you keep messing with an old image. I see above you were having a few problems with wi fi and to be honest the easiest and safest method is via internet. If you have been reading through this thread you should have seen some postings on how to update using vix manager but if your internet is iffy and goes off during the upload then ....

To get you sorted can you say more about your internet provider. I gather its wireless but I don't have a clue what they provide. Have they given you a router and do you know the make and model? Can you plug a lan cable into your box?

Do you now about flashing via usb? That box has 4 partitions so you can have 4 images.

One thing can you just check and see where epg is kept as that can be a real headache, go menu, setup, epg, then look at epg location and tell me what it says.

With the latest image the box will be like new and you wont lose recordings.

Hold off updating for a while as server had issues and was been fixed affecting images and plugin feeds.

RE OPENVIX WEBSITE

Its fixed now but getting a good connection on box is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'm on openATV 6.4 still, still up to date or no?

Think i heard 6.4 finished in December , so no not current

Thanks for reply. For some reason I couldn't connect to WiFi. I've used hotspot before and it's been fine. I can connect to that. All these problems started after trying various things to connect to WiFi.

There is a router yeah. I probably can connect lan. Haven't tried flashing from usb but willing to try. WiFi box is Fritz box 4040. Roughly 100mbps broadband via line of sight dish.

Epg location is HDD.

Thats a good router. I have heard of BB by Wireless but I am clueless as to how it works!! I take it there is a cable from your dish/antenna to the fritzbox??

Even if the wi fi was working OK with the fritzbox I would not be too happy updating the box. And I bet you only have the one box.

All the latest boxes are geared towards, what they call, couch updating, i.e you just sit there and use the remote. There is a problem with using a USB to flash the Zgemmas in that the box for some unknown reason will not recognise the USB and then you are back to square one. You can end up trying loads of different makes and capacities.

What you should do is hook the box up to the router with a lan cable and then set up the network in the box, and once set up change the ip of box to a static one. Then check internet connection by going to plugins, green button. Once they download you are set up. All of the following has already been said so this is the last time for me.

1. Menu, setup, Vix, image manager, yellow button, and box will show 4 images, you want openvix, when that opens you want one at top, ie the latest,
    2. Download it. and wait.
    3. Next screen that appears , blue button and now box will show slot1, 2, 3, 4, and it will show where your current image is. 3 slots will be free.
    4. Select an empty slot, and you want to build from scratch, so say no to restore settings, no to restore plugins, .
    5. A wizard will guide you through all the nest bits, language, screen resolution, select 1081, then network setup and as you had the ip already it will pick that up. Once all done box may reboot.
    6. All the left now is to set up DTT tuner and scan the 2 muxes, set up epg so that its on HDD but that openvix is user friendly and may have done that but best to check. To get 7 day epg you may have to enable openepg downloader.
    7. A lot of people like to use autobouquets maker and that may be set but if not tell you later.
    8. A nice skin can be added.

At the end box will be as new. And you may have plugins that can be added.

After you have done all that you would need your wi fi working. I dont have a fritzbox but can ask over on networks. Have you accessed the router and seen the encryption for Wi Fi. I had a look online and box does 2.4 and 5.00. Can you say name of dongle you are using?

Lot to digest there! The dongle is from free tv.ie. called zgemma WiFi dongle.

Is your dongle working or not as if you reflashed box you possibly have to download driver from plugin feeds ?

Choosing correct driver to match that dongle. Box will need a wired lan connection to possibly download the driver.

Box might also need rebooting after the correct driver has installed to show your WiFi connection to log into your network and password.

• This is the chipset " Ralink RT5370 Chipset" and this is the driver you need to download" drivers-network-usb-rt3070" when you have plugins download list onscreen and if you read underneath you will see 5370 referenced. But it may have been downloaded already. You won't need it for the time being as LAN cable is best for now.
    • To check if driver is installed already on that 5.4 image just go plugins, red button, click on drivers and check for rt3070, if not there would explain why fritzbox would not work.
    • Just go slow.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to look at it the past few days. I will try to work on it at the weekend. Cheers for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

Hello again

Well everything's been OK since I flashed the new image (VIX 6.2.011) so thanks for the help. But now there is a new glitch.

When I click on the green button to set up a timer I see a confirmation screen and the green button is then meant to save the timer. However there is a delay when I click the green button the second time. And sometimes the system seems to hang at that point and I have to Exit to get back to the epg. I've replaced the remote batteries so it's not that. Anybody else have any similar experience? Thanks

Sorted now. I found a rogue repeat timer in the timer list and deleted it. Problem solved.

Post edited by joeirish on

Spoke too soon. Now telling me it cannot find HDD. No list of recorded programmes. I seem to have lost everything. Any ideas. Really getting frustrated maybe I need to get another type of box. Any ideas? Cheers

Put box into deep standby and power off at rear and then on and see if storage device is now seen.

I have had to do that on a few of my boxes when hdd vanished.

Thanks but that didn't work. When I click on File List on the remote nothng appears. I then click the yellow button and get 3 option, 1 (Other...) 2 /media/hdd/movie 3 Internal flash / Previously it was 2 /media/hdd/movie that was used.

Go in from menu to see if storage is listed , if not it has not detected the HDD.

Internal or powered externally?

I would also check in Mounts to see if it found and in ext4

Thanks. It's an internal HDD. Not sure how to do the other suggestions. So HDD was working up to earlier this evening. I recorded a programme and when I came to play it back it stopped after a few seconds and an error message appeared. Something about disk full even though I know the disc is over 70% empty. Then everything hung and when I re-started the system the HDD was gone. If you can tell me how to check if the HDD is detected (although when I press record on a live programme I get an error message saying HDD not detected) and also the bit about Mounts. Sorry but a bit of a novice on this. Thanks

MENU -SETUP-STORAGE -FILESYSTEM CHECK =should list your storage devices.

To see if your hdd is mounted in correct format

menu-setup-network-mounts-mount points management as that will show your mounts and green ticks show its mounted.

Hdd full i wonder if it was stup correctly on box and not fat32.

IF you delete your watched programs do you also empty the trash can where your deleted programs sit

Hiya

Here's a screnshot of my Setup menu, no Storage option listed! And I have been emptying trash (deleted items folder I think it's called)

And ghere is what I see on the Mount Viewer menu, looks like nothing there.

• Advertisement

Do I have to do something on this menu?

Advertisement