Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

swoofer wrote: »
    You have me intrigued why you picked that Pure image. I'm going to have a play now and see how it behaves. Do you actually want a VPN?

I use pure2, it was the nicest looking for me when I played with the various options. Personal preference, they all offer more or less the same functionality...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

dulpit wrote: »
    I use pure2, it was the nicest looking for me when I played with the various options. Personal preference, they all offer more or less the same functionality...

I'm beginning to get my head around it now.

I still have a few small issues with the terminology used.

Also i cannot get the rewind function to work, is there a setting that needs to be changed.

I have found the timeshif section but i'm not sure when function is related to rewind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

Thanks Andy,do i set these two programs up on the box itself?

Yes , I'm using openvix though , but here are some screengrabs to give you an idea.

ABM is installed by default on most images , if its not you will have to add it via plugins, and note , every time you add a plugin or a major feature you must re boot the box for it to work or it will most likely crash and re boot for you.

andy1249 wrote: »
    Yes , I'm using openvix though , but here are some screengrabs to give you an idea.

ABM is installed by default on most images , if its not you will have to add it via plugins, and note , every time you add a plugin or a major feature you must re boot the box for it to work or it will most likely crash and re boot for you.

Thanks for that, do i have to do a rescan? or will it organise what iv already set up?

Also i cannot get the rewind function to work, is there a setting that needs to be changed.

By default it will allow you to pause and it starts recording from that point onwards. You can change setting to allow it to auto-record as you watch, which will allow you rewind live TV (ala Sky Plus). A lot of people don't bother with this, as it will cause additional wear on your HDD.

• Advertisement

Rewind on live TV is related to timeshift , the timeshift function has to be enabled and you must be watching a channel for a specific minimum amount of time for rewind to function , basically its constantly recording the channel being watched during any particular program and when you hit rewind you enter timeshift .... to exit you press stop and you go back to live TV.

Its probably not working right now , because you haven't been watching anything long enough for it to work.
    Rewind typically works within a program or show , so for example , you cannot rewind to whatever was on before the current program or show started.

Thanks for that, do i have to do a rescan? or will it organise what iv already set up?

You have to start again with ABM , but ABM will manage it automatically from then on.
    As it stands , you will have to constantly maintain your manual setup , not ideal at all.

Is EPG-importer the same as crossepg and epgrefresh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

OK I had a quick play but first have you got a HDD installed?

The image was loaded but not configured so its left to the user. In your case you get network working and your good to go. What you should have done, in this order, was installed autobouquets from plugins, configured that for freesat and saorview and hit scan, now you are good to go. The autobouquets tab is under setup, service searching.

It has a built in epg under setup, system, you then say no to those you dont need. Save and your good to go. I downloaded picons as well but I use a sub stick for these and the epg.
    The openvpn is designed to save you setting it up manually and you need a config for it to work.

Why are you looking at epg importer etc?

I downloaded crossepg and it disappeared, ie it wont show up as a tab but that is a glitch but it may work in your box mine is a duo2.

The colour buttons are shortcuts.

OK I had a quick play but first have you got a HDD installed?

The image was loaded but not configured so its left to the user. In your case you get network working and your good to go. What you should have done, in this order, was installed autobouquets from plugins, configured that for freesat and saorview and hit scan, now you are good to go. The autobouquets tab is under setup, service searching.

It has a built in epg under setup, system, you then say no to those you dont need. Save and your good to go. I downloaded picons as well but I use a sub stick for these and the epg.
    The openvpn is designed to save you setting it up manually and you need a config for it to work.

Why are you looking at epg importer etc?

I downloaded crossepg and it disappeared, ie it wont show up as a tab but that is a glitch but it may work in your box mine is a duo2.

The colour buttons are shortcuts.

Ok thanks a lot there. How do i config openvpn and where did you download picons from. The rest i have sorted i think.

I was wondering if epgimporter is the same as crossepg. must not be. Do i install crossepg the same way i installed autobouquetmaker?

• Advertisement

have you got a HARD DISK INSTALLED???

have you got a HARD DISK INSTALLED???

Ya

I think you started with the wrong image, all of the things one does is automated on the PURE image so you learn very little but as you have it stick with it. Anything you need will be in plugins so go there. I have gone back to Vix as its my preference. There is little support for PURE its a kind of niche image.

You will need to ask the person who told you to get vpn how to get it working.

epg importer etc all do the same thing but differently, dulpit has pure so they would be able to answer better than me.

have fun

I think you started with the wrong image, all of the things one does is automated on the PURE image so you learn very little but as you have it stick with it. Anything you need will be in plugins so go there. I have gone back to Vix as its my preference. There is little support for PURE its a kind of niche image.

You will need to ask the person who told you to get vpn how to get it working.

epg importer etc all do the same thing but differently, dulpit has pure so they would be able to answer better than me.

have fun

Thanks. Your right very little support for pure2, I'll get there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I found a lot of useful help about the Pur E2 image on the linuxsat-support forum especially from a mod there called: gorski.

If you are just starting out with these boxes then you will have the same problems no matter what image you use as the core functionality is very similar in all. You could also use Pur E2 to flash an OpenVix image into a free slot on the Zgemma and then maybe work from that as OpenVix does have even more support for the Zgemma.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

So per my post in the "help me ditch Sky" thread, I'm looking to pick something up in the next few days as my LG's implementation of Freesat is rubbish and an official Freesat HDR-1100S (which I've also had in the past) will miss some of the FTA channels.
    I'll also be connecting a Saorview aerial to it.

- Are these currently then the one to get from a future-proofing standpoint? Is there an upgraded version I should be considering? (CPU/RAM on these seems low to my eyes?)
    - I'll probably buy from WoS if this is the one to buy. What image do I want preinstalled for the closest to Sky experience?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hey all,

So per my post in the "help me ditch Sky" thread, I'm looking to pick something up in the next few days as my LG's implementation of Freesat is rubbish and an official Freesat HDR-1100S (which I've also had in the past) will miss some of the FTA channels.
    I'll also be connecting a Saorview aerial to it.

- Are these currently then the one to get from a future-proofing standpoint? Is there an upgraded version I should be considering? (CPU/RAM on these seems low to my eyes?)
    - I'll probably buy from WoS if this is the one to buy. What image do I want preinstalled for the closest to Sky experience?

Cheers

im not sure what the horsepower requirements are but ive never had an issue with mine to be honest, you could spend more and get a vu+ but apart from being a nicer looking box im not sure what practical benefits that offers?

for the closest to sky q experience you need to do a little work getting the skin just right, the best one is this: SLYK 1080 and works on openatv or openvix

https://www.linuxsat-support.com/thread/133484-updated-slyk-1080-r19-install-faqs/

because of copyright issues it requires a little configuration but once you are done you are done and it looks great.

flashing images is easy and you have four slots so you can compare but its not really worth the hassle

Cyrus wrote: »
    for the closest to sky q experience you need to do a little work getting the skin just right, the best one is this: SLYK 1080 and works on openatv or openvix

https://www.linuxsat-support.com/thread/133484-updated-slyk-1080-r19-install-faqs/

From a personal point of view, I never get the need to make your non-sky box look like a sky box. It's a different beast, just takes a couple of uses to get used to the UI.

What really irks me though is the way people refer to Sky as either $ky or Sly. :rolleyes:

From a personal point of view, I never get the need to make your non-sky box look like a sky box. It's a different beast, just takes a couple of uses to get used to the UI.

What really irks me though is the way people refer to Sky as either $ky or Sly. :rolleyes:

well they call the skin sly for copyright reasons in fairness :D

as regards the interface i have tried all the skins and this is the nicest one, some of them are utter garbage. i dont need it to look like sky but i do prefer it looks sleek.

im not sure what the horsepower requirements are but ive never had an issue with mine to be honest, you could spend more and get a vu+ but apart from being a nicer looking box im not sure what practical benefits that offers?

because of copyright issues it requires a little configuration but once you are done you are done and it looks great.

flashing images is easy and you have four slots so you can compare but its not really worth the hassle

Cheers for that. I did look up the Vu+ now as well and it does look slick. WoS has them but they don't seem to have the 4K box with the dual satellite + 1 terrestrial (2 cards overall?) unless you pay 400 quid for a 3 slot version.. or maybe I'm missing something obvious!

If I go with the Zgemma, can you upgrade it later with RAM etc? I have several 2.5" SSDs so I assume that's a straight slot in?

well they call the skin sly for copyright reasons in fairness :D

as regards the interface i have tried all the skins and this is the nicest one, some of them are utter garbage. i dont need it to look like sky but i do prefer it looks sleek.

Yea, for all their faults, Sky have put a lot of work over the years into the interface and it does (usually) "just work" and is simple and clean (Sky+ I mean.. Q is a different beast) which is what I'm after.. I'm in IT myself but don't want to spend days setting something up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've had both a Zgemma and Vu+. The Vu+ has better build quality and a few extra bells and whistles but the Zgemma equals it in performance. It's very hard to justify the extra cost. Both take the standard SSDs but things like ram and CPU are fixed. The Zg has more than enough horsepower to handle multiple HD recordings running without issue. Channel switching is instantaneous.

Cheers for that. I did look up the Vu+ now as well and it does look slick. WoS has them but they don't seem to have the 4K box with the dual satellite + 1 terrestrial (2 cards overall?) unless you pay 400 quid for a 3 slot version.. or maybe I'm missing something obvious!

If I go with the Zgemma, can you upgrade it later with RAM etc? I have several 2.5" SSDs so I assume that's a straight slot in?

Yea, for all their faults, Sky have put a lot of work over the years into the interface and it does (usually) "just work" and is simple and clean (Sky+ I mean.. Q is a different beast) which is what I'm after.. I'm in IT myself but don't want to spend days setting something up. :)

dont think you can upgrade ram i dont know being honest, and harddrive is a simple enough job yes.

there are other sky skins, and there are builds where the installation of the skin is part of it (i.e. whooshbuild) but some arent 1080p which is an issue for me when im using a 4k tv.

OK so it's looking like the ZGemma is the best bang for buck and still wholly decent option here. Cool. What firmware preload should I go for (give I'll want it to look like Sky as above), and will it accept any WiFi adapter or do I need the one they suggest? (I have a Netgear AC6210 here that I'd be hoping to use)

OK so it's looking like the ZGemma is the best bang for buck and still wholly decent option here. Cool. What firmware preload should I go for (give I'll want it to look like Sky as above), and will it accept any WiFi adapter or do I need the one they suggest? (I have a Netgear AC6210 here that I'd be hoping to use)

none of the std preloads will have a sky skin (unless they offer whooshbuild?), so id go openatv and then install the skin you want yourself.

cant help on wifi sorry mine is hardwired.

Hi guys is there a simple way to permanently turn off the narrator. Every time i go to channel 4 he's talking, i manually go to audio and switch audio.

Hi guys is there a simple way to permanently turn off the narrator. Every time i go to channel 4 he's talking, i manually go to audio and switch audio.

yeah i have had that a bit as well on some of the english stations, its the audio feed you are getting but in my case i press the yellow button, change it and it sticks.

yeah i have had that a bit as well on some of the english stations, its the audio feed you are getting but in my case i press the yellow button, change it and it sticks.

Cheers, the yellow button on mine gives the option: left, right, stereo. which did u choose?

Cheers, the yellow button on mine gives the option: left, right, stereo. which did u choose?

let me check and ill let you know i get a different screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

I could never get the wifi to work reliably on my h7s. Others in this forum have had similar issues. In the end I used a powerpoint adapter for a wired connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Exact location / wording is depending on your enigma version:-
    go into MENU>SETUP>AUDIO and look for "Preferred language" Set this to English.

Advertisement