Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Now it comes up as far as the number 42, but nothing on thr hdmi, won't respond to any remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Do a hard power cycle and see does the behaviour repeat itself.

The numbers counting up between two hyphens ("-12-" etc.) is a loading percentage. If it stops and stays at -42-, then there's something going wrong at boot time. At some point you should get a splash screen / boot animation on the tv.

If the boot continuously fails, you'll need to reflash the OS, which is not difficult but let's get there first.

I get to a point where I can do an automatic scan.

After a while scanning, the screen goes blank, then back, then blank

Then the tv loses signal.

I've no idea what the box is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The fact that you seem to be getting an intermittent picture on the TV suggests either a resolution issue, or maybe a dodgy HDMI cable. See if you can rule either of these out.

If going through the setup wizard, don't bother doing an automatic scan. Use AutoBouquetsMaker later instead.

• Advertisement

Hi,

It was the resolution. Setting it up on different TV

Thanks

Anywhere to get a simple guide how to set this up? Saorview and fta in a combines epg and I'm done

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Just received box and then dawned on me that never checked what subtitles are like. I depend on subtitles. Can you turn on by default for all programs/recordings and is the quality of the subtitles ok. Cam across some forum for an earlier zgemma box that said the subtitles are too quick and impossible to use

Sent back to amazon.de today. I'm not going to insult people here by saying its a piece of junk, but a very poor experience for me. Back to ferguson ariva

Thanks to all those who tried to help though . Boards abu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

aw gabbo you should have spent a bit more time reading the guide. But if a total newbie then it can be a nightmare. As it came from DE it would have had the Openatv image on it and probably 2 sats 13e and 19e. To start you would change language to UK and then set up the 2 tuners for sat at 28east and the tuner for saorview ie country and region. And so on. You set up autobouquets first to suit and then do a scan. Then set up the epg and that's it.

To get combined epg you move channels using the remote to the Favourites bouquet. There are other ways but easy peasy to start.

Once you have done the basics you would download OPENVIX to another slot and set that up and your away.

@bellie where did you get box from and if it has openvix image already loaded then you are almost good to go, YES you can turn on subtitles permanently and I never noticed any problems with them There is an actual settings page where you can increase/reduce size, colour, and so on. And subtitles will play for live programmes as well, ie sports, news.

But you have to configure box correctly, say subtitles are too fast or slow you can adjust in the settings menu. Can you hint at other website.

To run KODI on the Zgemma h7s you boot it to the slot that supports KODI. There are 2 options for images, one for PIP and the other for KODI. It does work.

• Advertisement

Breezy tell me the version of the image you are using and I ll tell you how to update using the remote.

Just go menu information about and read off, be quick

Got all that working. But it just kept crashing..sometimes after 2seconds, sometimes after 20 mins.

did it have an SSD and where were you saving the EPG?

I had am ssd in it, but removed it also to rule it out

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

Openvix and Willo build and you would have been 90% done. It creates a nice bouquet for the FTA satellite channels. You then need to scan for saorview and add to your main bouquet. You can do it via the interface or use something like dreambox edit on windows.

My zgemma was pretty much unused for the first year didn't like the look of openatv. The Willo build on top of openvix polishes it up a little nicer and sort all the option perfect for me. This thing is over kill on customisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

My H7 is running OpenVix 6.4.010. I can get BBC Three HD, and have been able to do so for quite some time, but not BBC Four HD. Now, of course, the SD channel has shut down, so I'm without any BBC Four service at all.

I have tried doing a manual scan in the following way, taking the transponder setting from https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055520627/free-to-air-tuning-guide/p1:

MENU...Setup...Tuners & Scanning...Manual Scan

I then use the following parameters:

Tuner: Tuner A Si2169D (DVB-S2X)

Type of scan: Predefined transponder

Satellite: 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G

Transponder: 11023 H 23000 3/4

Network scan: No

Clear before scan: No

Only free scan: No

I press the green button to scan, and currently it reports 12 channels:

BBC One ScotHD

BBC One Wal HD

BBC NEWS HD

BBC ALBA HD

BBC ALBA HD (yes, two entries the same)

BBC One WM HD

And that's it. No BBC Four HD. Can anyone advise?

Use this frequency DVB-S2 8PSK, 10818 VERTICAL, SYMBOL RATE 23000, FEC 3/4 and this time use signal finder, and green to scan. and biNgo.

By the way you looked at a very old thread 2009, look at top of the forum for BBC changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If your channel lists are old when was the last time you scanned 28.2 or setup ABM to give you bouquets.

What sort of signal is coming in for your H7s

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Hi,

I have a zgemma h7s and the UI is HD on a HD channel but goes to SD on a SD channel.

Seems strange to me that the UI resolution is based on the channel type.

Is this a setting? I'm using vix.

Thanks

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Turns out I had the "auto resolution" on a setting other than "disabled". Setting it to "disabled" seemed to fix it.

I thought it was trying to update the video content itself but seems not.

Leaving this here in case it helps anyone else.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Advertisement

I used Signal Finder and no channels come up for that frequency. The signal is at zero.

I ran ABM again and did a full rescan of DVB-S and DVB-T. For most of the frequencies, the SNR in Signal Finder is at least 70%.

It's all really weird. Perhaps my LNB is faulty and can't pick up that one single frequency, but I doubt it.

Check this site for up to date channel list as many tps might not have channels on or moved.

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php.

What channel is missing so i can check mine.

Do a non ABM scan on the whole 28.2 and how many channels are found on your scan.

Did you say what image version is your box on ?

Post edited by greasepalm on

I did, yes, it's the latest OpenVix 6.4.010. Looking at that kingofsat.net link made me realise that I'm also missing BBC One London HD from the list of all channels, so it really must be the LNB. I did a full rescan last night, separate from ABM, but don't recall how many channels there were.

You are not moving from Sky q by any chance? Sky q will pick up sme requencise but not all when used with non sky q boxes. BBC one HD IS on 10818.

DVB-S2 8PSK, 10818 VERTICAL, SYMBOL RATE 23000, FEC 3/4 

And if box has 2 cables attached you can check each input using signal finder by toggling between A and B but pause each time, then you can enter a channel thats horizontal use 10773H rest same as above. If you get signal on one and not the other then its lnb. Outputs can fail, is it a quad lnb ie 4 outputs,

A full scan gets 845 channels.

If lnb is very old then thats a good start but dish can be slightly off as well/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm getting some strange problems with the radio stations on 28.2E. If I do am ABM scan they all appear nicely in the listing, under the radio section with their names. But when I play one of them, the name changes to a 4 digit number, I'm guessing the SID, along with 2 or 3 others. Same thing happens to all the channels as I zap through it. If I run ABM again the correct names reappear.

I don't really use the radio stations much, so don't know if this is a recent thing or not. Possibly it might have to do with some reorganization of frequencies the BBC is doing and the frequencies in ABM are out of date and it's picking up the old ones that are due to be replaced soon. I updated the XML files in ABM before scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@Alun they are in the process of migrating the BBC radio channels to different TPs. It should be sorted in the next day or so.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121306078/#Comment_121306078

I would still do a new scan to see the number of channels found , much less means issues and make sure F connectors are tight

Thanks, I thought it was something to do with that. I'll check again in a few days.

By the way, is there any good reason why the radio stations on Astra 28.2E don't show up in radio bouquets generated by ABM, when you press the radio button on the remote, like they do for the Saorview and Astra 19.2E ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

Hi guys,

Just an update to my post a few months ago. I brought the box back to the retailer and they replaced the hard drive under warranty. It actually seemed to be the cable from the internal hard drive which was too short I think and so was a little bit under pressure, therefore losing connection intermittently. Just a heads-up for anyone with similar issues.

A new issue I have is that I'm not getting any channels when I scan. My signal finder is showing decent signal on both satellite tuners. I run an automatic scan and it shows lots of channels being found but then when I go to EPG the "last scanned" bouquet is empty. Any ideas?

I'm just missing a few channels that I would like to add. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

That's interesting. I had an issue a few months back where my internal SSD drive stopped working after I'd taken the cover off to take a photograph of the drive location for a post on here :) I did notice the SATA cable was indeed very short and twisted, but I'm sure I tried another longer SATA cable I had lying around and that didn't solve it, so maybe that wasn't the problem at all. It's now in an external USB enclosure and is working fine so I don't want to jinx it any further by taking the cover off again!

Advertisement