Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Flash has 558m left so that's fine. Crossepg failed to download the previous night so maybe that's the plugin that failed and caused the box to freeze.

Haven't installed anything at all since got the box so can't be related to anything like that.. At least know can restart whenever happens again,.a bit annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ye agreed, would really annoy me tbh. Have you the OpenWebif plugin installed? If you do you could check in the terminal if there are any crash logs in /home/root/logs.

Hard to know with CrossEPG, a failure to download doesnt necessarily mean it crashed (and froze the box). But if it crashed it would show up in the logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Has anybody else have this problem I couldn't see the box across my network without switching samba on the receiver off then on After that I could download from my computer my movies to the box until the next time and I would have to repeat it again although on the box it showed samba as running.

Recently I cant see samba anymore on latest openatv version 7.3. Any fix for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes, from within your current image you can fllash online to a new partition but this time use openvix image and set that up, most of that is automatic. once done you can then go back and flash openatv 7.3 to another partiton but set it up from scratch but i would not bother with openatv, it keeps getting updated bad sign. its on 7.4 now.

I wouldnt use samba I would use nfs if possible at all. I find samba quite flaky and also clunky IMO especially for a relatively smallish box wrt to RAM etc. And nfs is already running on openatv as it is. You just need to define your share(s).

Maybe nfs isnt an option for you, but if it is you'd go about it like so:

Terminal or ssh onto the box, create an export folder

mkdir /export
    mkdir /export/movie

The edit /etc/fstab (e.g 'nano /etc/fstab') and add the following line

/media/hdd/movie	/export/movie	none	bind	0 0

Then edit '/etc/exports' and add the following line to define your nfs share. if you want to restrict access to a certain computer replace * with computer name, I use e.g. *.fritz.box for all computers in my home network

/export/movie *(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure,fsid=21)

reboot or execute the following command

/etc/init.d/nfsserver restart

From your computer mount/access the share with 'nfs://zgemmah7/export/movie'

Edit: never mind, samba is also running by default lol. I mostly use nfs cos I come from a mac so samba would be quite roundabout for me.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have both running on all my boxes but i use OpenVix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

A few questions on the Zgemma:

• Is it still considered a good / boards recommended upgrade from the tiviar box?
    • What are the dimensions of the box? Is it smaller than tiviar? Can't find consistent info online.
    • Anyone ever hidden this behind a wall mounted TV on a shelf?
    • If yes, does it support IR signal extension somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

better specs than Tiviar so faster performance

260x210x50 not counting plugs/cables

no external IR support that I know of so not suitable for hiding

EDIT: you probably could use one of those repeater type IR things that stick onto the front panel.

Thanks for the info Gerry. So something as simple as this should work to extend the IR coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

yeah something like that should work

• Advertisement

Are the days of hiding stuff behind tvs now are long gone?

Or is it where you have tv mounted on a wall and want to hide it?

Yes this will be a wall mounted TV, so yeah hiding devices like this out of site is definitely still in fashion.

On that note has anyone ever wall mounted the Zgemma? Seems light enough so should work once I can get the right mount.

[EDIT] This should be perfect for wall mounting it:

Post edited by FastFullBack on

the remote control that came with the Gemma has to be aimed at a particular angle to the box to work. Is there any workaround for this? Am sick of having to put my arm out to aim remote correctly. First world problem I know

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, it's a PITA. It's definitely the remote as well, not the positioning of the IR receiver, as I have an old Logitech remote that is a lot less fussy about aiming. A Bluetooth remote like I have for my Sony TV would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Whilst you cant do anything about the quality of the IR emitter in the remote and the receiver in the box, putting in new batteries can help with signal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

I also find the remote a bit of a weak point. Not just the thing itself - way too many small buttons, angle isnt great as you said - but the UI concept of enigma2 a bit too. Like sometimes you go back with 'exit', sometimes you need the red button. Or sometimes 'ok' triggers an action, sometimes it's the green button. Theoretically this should be almost entirely workable with nowadays remotes that just give 4 directions, ok, back, home, menu, volume up/down. Like most TV control systems these days.

Maybe alternative remotes with a 2.4GHz radio/usb dongle might work? Havent tried. Not sure enigma2 has a USB/HID stack.

There is an older thread on techkings that says the One4All remotes work much better with angle etc than the original remote. So that may be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

Yes-had the same problem with original remote-rubbish-so last year bought one on Amazon...looks exactly like the original except not branded.I have had it for over 6 months and it is a big improvement-it still works well.I can find the link if u want it.

There are a few ways to overcome the poor remote responses.

1. Put in good batteries from day one, I used DURACELL ULTRA in the past.
    2. Clean the spot where the remote sensor is located on the receiver. Check no plastic covering is still stuck on.!!
    3. If box is on a shelf move it to the front.
    4. Change the remote to one that is highly recommended like this , One For All urc7140

Stopped using Duracell as batteries leak.

Can agree remote sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

Two questions, please.

What's the difference between Blind Scan and Automatic Scan?

Is there a way to delete all channels saved as All Channels under the red button and keep my recordings intact?

That would be great, thanks. How do you pair the remote to the box receiver? Does it automatically pick it up?

I'll try ultra batteries to see if makes a difference as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

the remote works better if you pull off the plastic casing on top ,it comes off easily and can be put back on easily

I've never used blind scan so I hope I'm not talking sh1te. Im sure if I do someone will be here shortly and set it straight.

I think blind scan is for motorised dishes. Motorised as in dishes that you can swivel this way or that way to go for different satellites or maybe because they sit on top of a mobile home or something. Blind scan will scan for transponders and will try to figure out what satellite its currently pointed at. And then do an automatic scan of that. Whereas automatic scan will scan for whatever you have the tuner configured and your stationary dish pointed at. A typical home user would never need a blind scan.

Recordings are not in an any way linked to your configured channels once the recoding is complete. Once recorded they are just 'movie' files sitting on your hard drive. You could copy your own movies there and watch them through the zgemma.

I never delete my All channels as it can be quicker to find a channel when you forget what bouquet it is in.

Just to explain you should never need to use blindscan because if you do you will end up with a very big sat file as you will get everything ie radio, tv, data and other stuff. And it can take forever. Blindscan is aimed at FEED HUNTERS and those with motorised dishes. Feed Hunters are a rare breed but very useful. And no blindscan wont figure out what sat you are on!!

Automatic scan is as says on the tin if you select it and don't pay attention you will end up with a lot of unwanted channels ie those encrypted on 28east.

With a motorised set up and you select automatic it will move dish to all the sats that have been configured in the box and scan them one by one. Again not advisable.

So to clear all the channels under the red button do this , go menu setup tuners and scanning, then select manual scan, its easier and better, select tunerA and configure type single sat. sat =28east, network scan no, clear YES. ONLY FREE YES, THEN GREEN and make a note of the number of channels found 856 or more/less.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

Thanks, swoofer. I think that refreshes the red button channel list rather than emptying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Off topic. There are not many satellite feeds on 28 East. Two separate feeds from a UK racecourse, channel names UKI-1955-1 and UKI1955-2, on at present. Fairly strong with me.

Reported by stanley_cassidy on 2024-03-05 06:02 pm (CET).

Astra 2F (28.2°E)

Frequency: 12535 - Pol: H - SR: 7200 - FEC: 

Category: Sport - Horse racing

Transmitted in: MPEG-4

ℹHorses Races from UK

(+12544h,7200)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Is the picture quality good on the Hs7?

I used to use and still have a vu solo2 +. But after getting sky q for a few years and an OLED tv, the vu picture quality just seems bad. Weird colours, sharpness (even though input settings are identical to sky q) image quality also good on my NVIDIA shield Pro compared to the Vu

Anyone with experience say it better than the vu?

Advertisement