Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

And here's what it shows for Devices. Not sure why is says none for Network srevers as it is connected to my router.

And would I ned to delete some of the existing images to free up slots? Looks like I've got two empty slots at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Network servers won't show whether or not you are connected to your router - it will show if you have mounted network storage (and may also show if you are streaming to a device on your network - can't remember if that shows up there too). Either way, not something to worry about.

You do not need to delete your existing images. When you proceed to flash a new image, you will be offered the choice of slot to flash to, just choose slot 3 or slot 4. Your current install will be preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

Joe internal HDD is full!!! can you check file list and these pics are good. have you a usb stick?

You are not a server! so ignore

go to image manager and do me a pic

Post edited by swoofer on

Image manager screenshot

Not sure why you say the internal hdd is full. i thought this screenshot says there is free space? Am I missing something? And yes I have a usb stick but might to to format it. I'll dig it out. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Looks like the usb stick is 2 Gb will this be big enough?

Ok here's the File List screenshot

And a newer File List after I deleted a few things and emptied the Deleted items directory. Shows free space now up from 91% to 93%

So I did another filesystem check

And then it was back to the tele again. Seemed to get through the check without any bother but I didn't see any results. Not sure if I should see something.

All looks good so far but here is your screenshot on devices

and here is mine

Note mine is a 120gb ssd and it shows full capacity and whats left, yours says full! but as you show in the PVR section it says 433gb free, but thats not 93% of 983gb!!! A bit strange. Now that you have acessed the HDD and deleted a few bits try devices again.

2GB is fine but dont plug in yet until you check devices. Do you keep the USB HDD plugged in all the time?

Your HDD is not SSD and do you know what standby you have it set to?

• Advertisement

@swoofer So my devices now shows the following. The internal HDD capacity is 499GB with 465GB. Not sure where the other data came from? Perhaps having the external HSS on caused some issue? Anyway this looks to be correct now.

I only turned on the external HDD when I had issues connecting to the internal HDD. Usually I leave it turned off but plugged in.

The internal HDD has standby set to 5 minutes. I think that was the default when I got the box and I've never changed it. Thanks

I downloaded and installed Openvix6.4 but not sure I did the complete clean install. Do you think that will be an issue. I've never done a clean install before but it seems to be working.

Well I like your patience!! When you do a flash it asks if you want to do a backup etc and then when flashing it asks if you want to restore so if you said yes then its an update and not a clean install but things are looking up. The idea of a clean install is to leave any corrupt files behind.

That HDD had me foxed but by jove I think its right now, ie 93% free and yes the usb plugged in can be tricky.

The next bit is the final bit BUT if the USB is not recognised I would be cautious and stick with the EPG going to the HDD for now. Sometimes when you plug in a USB the system may not not recognise it and the way round it is to do a hard reboot ie press the white button. However as your box gave you trouble it might not recognise the HDD again and back to square one.

So turn off with remote plug in USB and watch it. light should flash wait and then power on with remote. go to devices and see if its there, then you initialise it and the go to epg and change to usb. With a bit of luck your good to go.

That HDD is 2016 so consider getting an SSD soon. Its about 46e or so but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

:) head is fried

in the webif ui on the left bottom, Extras/Terminal

joe to save you in thinking you are going blind there is no TERMINAL function with webif and openvix, it caused a fuss a while back.

Are you using windows or mac? do you know FTP?

@CalamariFritti Thanks but I don't have the webif ui.

@swoofer Thanks I'll see about the usb and have a look out for an SSD. All working fine now so maybe just see how it goes for the moment. I'll keep this all bookmarked for the next time!

OK. I use a Mac and have used FTP in the past for not for a while now. I also have used terminal on the mac in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not a bad idea but I would not leave usb hdd plugged in even if powered off. As for FTP will leave that alone.

to access openwebif type the ip address of your box into browser bar BUT with all the new images you have to set up a password first on the box.

enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

I have the box configured for satellite & saorview and all is working fine. Is there a way to scan just for the radio channels specifically the satellite ones. Rte radio is fine but when I click on BBC radio 1 the SNR is 0 and no audio. I do see a list of the satellite radio channels but no audio from them and similar to bbc radio 1 the snr is 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The main BBC radios are on
    11024 H 8PSK 23000 3/4 DVB-S2
    the locals etc are spread over a few TPs
    see here https://en.kingofsat.net/radio-28.2E.php for details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭andy1249

Im on 6.5 or whatever the latest openvix is at the moment.

There is a Terminal function , now at least !

It may depend on the box or chipset the box uses. They are different builds after all.

The two boxes I have are VU+ Duo 4K SE and Octagon S8008 Supreme , one uses Broadcom and one uses a Hisilicon Huawei chipset. Both have the Terminal function under Openvix.

H7s uses an ARM chipset , so maybe that has something to do with there being no Terminal Function under openvix , or maybe there is now with the latest version of Openvix.

The terminal function was dropped for a while because of security concerns but is now back.

Some people have their boxes configured so they can be accessed from outside the home. This leads to vulnerabilities if not done right. There are web servers which actively look for open boxes to use for streaming from. These can also give bad actors access to your entire home network.

Now that is interesting and good to know. Well well I just checked my spare Zgemma H7S box and UPDATED to 6.5.002 latest version and terminal is back!!!

Post edited by swoofer on

Just curious if anyone had stability issues with openVix 6.5. Mine seemed to crash during the night, probably when running crossEPG. Ive reverted to 6.4 for now.

Crossepg doesnt work in 6.5 , its the first item in the release notes.

It will start and then just sit there on " downloading" , nothing happens , all you can do is reboot the box.

Openepg importer is installed by default , very very simple to set up and run , all you need to do is activate it and set a time. Its just as effective and simpler to set up than crossepg. This suggestion is directly from the release notes as an alternative to crossepg.

It works just fine.

Root login is mandatory now , before you didnt have to set a root password at all and the terminal was wide open.

Should be safe enough now , as long as you setup a strong password.

TBH Andy i didnt even read the release notes. Just bunged it on one morning to give it a lash with my backed up settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is that on a Zgemma H7s? Mine is on 6.4.11 and not offering any updates.

Advertisement