Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

di2 help

Options
  • 09-04-2019 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

i have a first generation external di2 system on my bike.recently ive found that the battery is not holding its charge.ive bought new battery and charger to no avail.is it possible to install a brand new internal battery system?cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bazzamac wrote: »
    i have a first generation external di2 system on my bike.recently ive found that the battery is not holding its charge.ive bought new battery and charger to no avail.is it possible to install a brand new internal battery system?cheers

Depends if your bike can take internal cabling. What frame is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Its usually the battery mount that gives most problems on the original Di2 set up

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

godtabh wrote: »
    Depends if your bike can take internal cabling. What frame is it?

It's a canyon aeroad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

This is the problem with Di2, as with any aging piece of electronics. A mate of mine went through a diagnostic 'mare trying to pinpoint just such an issue. Brought it to a bike shop "Yeah, needs a new battery" -didn't. "Oh it's definitely the derailleur" - Wasn't. "Oh it must be the levers". -Wasn't.

And on it went. Was a 400 euro bill in total to sort it out. -Not such an issue for lads buying new bikes, but for those lads trying to sell a 3 to 5 year old bike with old gen electronics on it, and anyone buying such a bike, it's a potential minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Is it 6770?

• Advertisement

Luxxis wrote: »
    Is it 6770?

think its 6700

think its 6700

6770 was the name of the first gen ultegra Di2.

So to swap to an internal battery you need to swap the front junction box with the more modern SM-EW90 3 or 5 port version and the internal junction box SM-JC40 and internal battery SM-BRT2 and charger. You will also need 3x additional cables, 2 shortish ones from the sti leavers to the new front junction box and a longer cable from the internal junction box to the battery in the seat post Get a Dfly unit as well, very very hand for the battery status :)

Hope that helps.

Oh forgot to say, Firmware firmware. Those junction Boxes have firmware so update everything when you get it all together, or it may not work until you do

Luxxis wrote: »
    6770 was the name of the first gen ultegra Di2.

So to swap to an internal battery you need to swap the front junction box with the more modern SM-EW90 3 or 5 port version and the internal junction box SM-JC40 and internal battery SM-BRT2 and charger. You will also need 3x additional cables, 2 shortish ones from the sti leavers to the new front junction box and a longer cable from the internal junction box to the battery in the seat post Get a Dfly unit as well, very very hand for the battery status :)

Hope that helps.

Oh forgot to say, Firmware firmware. Those junction Boxes have firmware so update everything when you get it all together, or it may not work until you do

cheers for that.would u recommend a shop to do it.wouldnt like to it myself

cheers for that.would u recommend a shop to do it.wouldnt like to it myself

Up to you, Its not difficult though.

Advertisement