Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How frequently do you upgrade your equipment

Options
  • 09-04-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

How frequently would you consider upgrading our irons / drivers? I've had a good set for 13 years now but beginning to think it's time for a change.

Clearly, new clubs can get quite pricey so maybe better players only will change more frequently?

But generally speaking, what would you consider an average period for changing clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

How frequently would you consider upgrading our irons / drivers? I've had a good set for 13 years now but beginning to think it's time for a change.

Clearly, new clubs can get quite pricey so maybe better players only will change more frequently?

But generally speaking, what would you consider an average period for changing clubs?
    When they're getting badly worn would be a reason for changing irons. Thirteen years sounds like getting into that territory unless you're not using them too often. I'd average about thirty rounds a year and my irons were bought new in 2014. I would expect to get a few more years out of them and certainly some would be getting more used than others, but are still in good condition.

TL:DR, depends on mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BOB81

In general I've kept my irons and putter for the longest period - irons are 8 yrs old (and have only had 2 previous iron sets in 20 odd years), and have only owned 3 putters in that time period too. Wedges would change every 3-4 years probably, just when they start to look a bit worn out groove wise (but I suspect I don't play enough to really wear them out). Hybrids/fairway are static enough too.

Driver is a different matter however, that's the club I change the most for whatever reason (I'd say every 18 months), if I'm looking for a new club that is the most likely one to get the nod, plus I have recently discovered golfbidder which makes it far to easy for me to switch to new clubs! But I don't generally buy brand new, I've rarely bought a brand new driver unless I've had vouchers to use towards it. But thinking about it logically I'd be better served spending the cash on the driver change on lessons, but logic doesn't always come into it....

But perhaps getting back to the question - I'd say 5-7 years would be about average. And I'd suggest after 13 years you are missing out on some driver advances in particular, both in forgiveness and distance. But in the past few years the gains in driver tech seem to be marginal if at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm playing golf almost 30 years

I'm on my :

1st driver (bought 13 years ago)
    2nd 3wood (bought last year)
    3rd set of irons (bought 8 years ago)
    2nd set of wedges (bought 5 years ago)
    2nd putter(received 22 years ago)

When I get something, I just stick with it till I get it working and then once it works, I don't give up on it for a very long time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

More than technology I'd wonder more if your swing has changed in such a long time.

I try to only change now after I have some solid proof I will see a positive change.

I'm changing putter soon. The replacment I was sent is a strong arc putter and for the last year I've struggled with pulls on short range. Quick talk with my pro and I'm changing for the same model just newer in a face balanced putter.

Driver is a similar story but we are going to work on my swing first. I have my current one 2 years not fitted.

Changing every six months is fine aswell as long as you understand what gains you are or are not getting and can afford it obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Had a set of mx300 irons for 8 years changed them last year for a set of p790 irons.
    Change driver maybe every year but for last year's model, have a 2017 M2 that I can't see myself changing.
    Wedges every couple of years.
    Putter gets swapped on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can’t wait for Roadrunner to post in here!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Rikand wrote: »
    When I get something, I just stick with it till I get it working and then once it works, I don't give up on it for a very long time

same here :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    same here :cool:

boring!!!

I played as a kid, cut down jumble of clubs. Then just a jumble of clubs as i got a little bigger. Then from my mid teens back in the early 90's I had my dads old set of Ryder Clubs, which he probably hadn't used since the 70's. I had a Christy O'Connor 3 wood (an actual wood) and a Jack Nicklaus putter similar to this
    D2016.jpg

About 2000 I bought a cheap Anser style putt on holidays in the states. Then got another hand me down set of irons about 15 years ago, Taylor Made 300 series along with a Taylor made 200 steel 3 wood and a brand new R540 (my first driver). Soon after I added an R5 5 wood, a couple of wedges and an Odyssey white hot 2 ball putter. Driver was replaced about 5 years ago now I'd say, an R1.

In 2015 I finally bought myself a set of irons Nike VR forged ProCombo. Old stock, previous years model, but I liked them and the shafts suited me on a fitting, picked up a couple of matching wedges. Got the lofts and lies adjusted. Game has become a lot more consistent and solid. Just raging i didn't do it sooner!

Added a M2 Driver 2 years ago.

Bag
    2017 Taylor Made M2 Driver
    2001 Taylor Made 200 Steel 3 Wood
    2005(ish) Taylor Made R5 5 Wood
    2014 Nike VR Pro Combo Forged irons 3-PW + 52 + 58 Wedges
    2016 Titleist Vokey SM6 56 wedge (mainly in play & swap out the 58)
    2004(ish) Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Putter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You probably have done this already, I bought one of these about 10 years ago and maybe twice a year I use it to sharpen grooves and smooth off notches on the club face. Can give worn club faces a new lease of life and much improved spin with wedges.

If you buy one, just a tip, use 3-in-1 oil with it, makes slide in grooves a lot easier.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/142937495696?ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F5282-53468-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D2%26pub%3D5575403537%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5338343602%26item%3D142937495696%26customid%3Dvms%253Aeb%253Ap%253A142937495696%253BEAIaIQobChMIqL7l9O_E4QIVSbHtCh3BPwDfEAQYBSABEgKBjPD_BwE%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMIqL7l9O_E4QIVSbHtCh3BPwDfEAQYBSABEgKBjPD_BwE%26srcrot%3D5282-53468-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1928714493179%26rvr_ts%3D05e446f616a0aaa332c74a01fffd276e&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

I upgrade driver every few years, but I’ve stopped buying new/paying €400, when Taylor Made bring out a new driver I go into McGuirks a week or two later, pick up the next to new model for €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If the clubs are working for you then i'd be slow to change. A good wash, sharpened grooves and new grips can make a huge difference.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rikand wrote: »
    When I get something, I just stick with it till I get it working and then once it works, I don't give up on it for a very long time lol

I didn't realise you had met my wife...

:pac:

Advertisement