Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a Car in Wexford

Options
  • 09-04-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We are looking to hire a car in Wexford in the summer (probably August) It does seem a lot cheaper to rent directly
    a car at Dublin Airport , but logistically we want to spend some days in Dublin with relatives and get the train to
    Wexford.
    Driving in Dublin is not really an option, we see there is a Hertz near the train station in Wexford and were thinking
    of renting from them, is there any way though of getting competitive prices there ~ akin to Dublin Airport prices ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

A few weeks ago we hired a car in Wexford for family who were here on Holidays. Enterprise rentals were a fair bit cheaper than hertz to rent from. Both are situated in Ferry bank/Ardcavan area which is a 20-30 min walk from the train station.

enterprise.ie Ardcavan, County Wexford Y35 F440
    (053) 917 4678

hertz.ie Ferrybank Wexford Y35 C851
    (053) 915 2500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Hi,
    is there any way though of getting competitive prices there ~ akin to Dublin Airport prices ?

Have to say I was surprised at this suggestion that there'd be different prices for renting from different places.

So, have just done a quick check on the main Hertz site – and it turns out to be the case all right. But it’s actually cheaper in Wexford than in Dublin.

For example, putting in dates of May 1 to May 8, and driver aged between 30 and 69:
    VW Polo - €161 in Dublin, just €136 in Wexford.
    VW Golf Diesel - €194 in Dublin, just €169 in Wexford.

So, there’s the answer to your actual question – how to get good prices in Wexford? Just go online and book.

You still need to bear in mind though that the Hertz depot is a good mile or more from the train station, and across the bridge, so it’ll seem even further if you’re walking it and particularly if carrying luggage. But there are usually taxis available just across the road from the station. The trip out to Hertz shouldn’t cost very much.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

For the same dates 1st of May to the 8th of May and similar size cars from Enterprise.

€127 for an Opel Corsa or similar size
    €133 for an Opel Astra or similar size

https://www.enterprise.ie/en/reserve.html#cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Bolands carsales own the HERTZ franchise in Wexford and Dublin airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Great ! thanks so much all!!

Navarre wrote: »
    For the same dates 1st of May to the 8th of May and similar size cars from Enterprise.

€127 for an Opel Corsa or similar size
    €133 for an Opel Astra or similar size

I was just showing how prices seem to be cheaper in Wexford than in Dublin. Wasn't trying to promote Hertz over Enterprise (or anybody else!) :D

Looks like the price difference with Enterprise is even bigger. A Corsa at Dublin Airport for that week would cost €170, and an Astra would cost €178.

Reckon we've answered the OP's question about getting good rates in Wexford anyway.......!

Prices in August seem mental .
    €489 for one week for a pos small crappy car ..

is normal ?

sjb25 wrote: »

Is this suitable for long term rentals tho ? like 1 week ...

Those prices for August are huge, all right.

To be honest, I was surprised at first that it could be so cheap to rent a car for a week in May (potentially less than €20 per day), and would have guessed €40 per day might be more typical. But those August prices are about €70 per day. And then they drop to about half of that in September.

I don't know much about the GoGar option, but I see that even their smallest car is €60 per day, and then after the first 50km, you're charged 50c per km too. So it wouldn't be long before you're spending €70 or more per day on that car anyway.

By the way, I know this doesn't really help you. Just letting you know that at least somebody is as surprised as you are.......

• Advertisement

Yeah cheers, I think GoCar is more for the short term rental option ... like a quick journey deal.
    It's like the biking of cars...

I did find Hertz (surprising) a deal for €304 a week in August, seems good.

€304 looks good compared to those other prices!

Hope you enjoy your time here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've been told that Trinity Motors have "partnered" with Europcar

Advertisement