Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bag of Chips

Options
  • 09-04-2019 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Where can I buy a half-decent bag of chips in Cork City Centre in the afternoon? (not MacDonalds/BurgerKing, etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Depends on how you like your chips? Greasy, dry, skinny, chunky, from frozen or homemade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

The Fish Wife - Grand Parade or McCurtain Street - big, fat, not too greasy heaven in a brown bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Fish Hatch on Pembroke St. is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Lennoxs is well worth the walk up Barrack street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I would also say fish wife as well only proper chipper in the city center.

Also West cork burger do have the best chips you can get in a restaurant in the city as well A++

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Years ago I'd say the Golden Fry in Ballinlough but since it changed ownership it's gone to the dogs.

The Fish Wife is a good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

johhny mcgurks is 10 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lennox's (yes, I know its not a real Lennox's) on Mc Curtain Street do excellent chips - every bit as good as the Fish Wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Another shout for the Fish Wife on Grand Parade - tasty scran, mon. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

who_me wrote: »
    The Fish Hatch on Pembroke St. is another option.

Did that not close last year? was part if the imperial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Lennox's (yes, I know its not a real Lennox's) on Mc Curtain Street do excellent chips - every bit as good as the Fish Wife.

Theyre pure frozen durt!!! Up to Murphy's with ya for proper chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anywhere that serves chips in those brown bags should be instantly discounted as the chips sweat like mad and taste like mush if you leave them in there longer than 60 secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Colibri wrote: »
    Years ago I'd say the Golden Fry in Ballinlough but since it changed ownership it's gone to the dogs.

The Fish Wife is a good shout!

Golden Fry was never the same after Frances left :(

RINO87 wrote: »
    Theyre pure frozen durt!!! Up to Murphy's with ya for proper chips.

Nope.
    Real potato, twice fried, chipper chips.
    Cooked properly - not those pale soggy chipper chips.
    I really don't know where you get the idea that they're frozen chips.

Having said that, frozen, does not mean bad quality. Bad quality frozen chips mean bad quality.

Murphy's where?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Was in there a couple of months ago. Very slow, surly service, chips were no great shakes and, to cap it off, no salt and vinegar offered and they got odd when asked for it (came in sachets).

Also agree that the Golden Fry went downhill after being sold, Denny's has improved a bit over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Nope.

Having said that, frozen, does not mean bad quality. Bad quality frozen chips mean bad quality.

Murphy's where?

Gerald Griffin St id say he's on about
    not a bad call

PreCocious wrote: »
    Was in there a couple of months ago. Very slow, surly service, chips were no great shakes and, to cap it off, no salt and vinegar offered and they got odd when asked for it (came in sachets).

Also agree that the Golden Fry went downhill after being sold, Denny's has improved a bit over the last few years.

I haven't been in a while but my few experiences there were nothing like that.
    I wonder if there's been a change of management?

Gerald Griffin St id say he's on about
    not a bad call
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    murphy's all day long pure daycent

I prefer Looney's if out that way.
    They nearly always throw in a few chips with a batter sausage for something like €1.10:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

looneys mayfield is great,proper chipper chips and curry

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Judes wrote: »
    The Fish Wife - Grand Parade or McCurtain Street - big, fat, not too greasy heaven in a brown bag.

No, just no. Baffles me how this hole has such a good rep.

• Advertisement

mccard wrote: »
    No, just no. Baffles me how this hole has such a good rep.

Used to be excellent.
    Quality has dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Colibri wrote: »

Is it really that bad? I hadn't been there too often before the change, but the quality is usually good and it wasn't exactly perfect beforehand either (no chipper is, really).

If we're talking strictly about chips, I still think they're good. There's definitely other well-known chippers in Cork with much worse chips, e.g. KC's which always seem to be undercooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Nope.

Murphy's where?

Have they changed recently? The last time I was in there, granted it was around this time last year, the chips were of the same quality as a dodge kebeb/pizza shop, and as someone else said came with no salt or vinegar, when asked they came in sachets. Sachets are a big no no for bags of Chips IMO!! Had the fish there too and it was muck, like a minced fish stick.

Ya Murphy's up in Shandon\Blackpool. Burgers etc aint great but the chips and assorted battered goods are top notch

RINO87 wrote: »
    Have they changed recently? The last time I was in there, granted it was around this time last year, the chips were of the same quality as a dodge kebeb/pizza shop, and as someone else said came with no salt or vinegar, when asked they came in sachets. Sachets are a big no no for bags of Chips IMO!! Had the fish there too and it was muck, like a minced fish stick.

Ya Murphy's up in Shandon\Blackpool. Burgers etc aint great but the chips and assorted battered goods are top notch

It's possibly more than a year since I've been but they were definitely real chips them.

Advertisement