Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get insured?

Options
  • 09-04-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering what are the best insurance crowd for insuring under 25 years of age drivers in older petrol cars? The car I'm looking at are 1.8 petrol or 2.0 petrol and are in around 1995 to 2000. Is it possible to get insured at all?

Also I'm 24 in May and have 5 years no claims bonus and have my full license for 6 years. I have a 1.9tdi Passat at the minute which will probably be kept as my primary car and the petrol for some days or weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Just to clarify what you are asking.
    I have a 1.9tdi Passat at the minute which will probably be kept as my primary car
    and
    have 5 years no claims bonus
    You are currently insured on a 1.9tdi Passat and have 5 years NCB.

You are looking for a quote for a second car?
    'm looking at are 1.8 petrol or 2.0 petrol
    and
    the petrol for some days or weekends.
    If this is the case it is likely that most insures will view you as new driver with 0 NCB for the purposes of insuring the 2nd car.

It is likely that you will have to ring each of the insurance companies directly to see if they will quote you.

Or try a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

AnRothar wrote: »
    Just to clarify what you are asking.
    and
    You are currently insured on a 1.9tdi Passat and have 5 years NCB.

You are looking for a quote for a second car?
    and
    If this is the case it is likely that most insures will view you as new driver with 0 NCB for the purposes of insuring the 2nd car.

It is likely that you will have to ring each of the insurance companies directly to see if they will quote you.

Or try a broker.

That is correct yes. So are you saying it might be cheaper if I insure the petrol as my main car and sell my diesel car? This way I can use my NCB on the petrol car?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Based on the information given you have 1 NCB.

It is your NCB and is not assigned to a specific car.
    However when insuring a car you effectively link the NCB to that car for the duration of your insurance period (usually 1 year).

If the petrol car is a better fit with your needs then it makes sense to insure this as your primary car.

Some insurers may give credit when insuring a 2nd car, but based on posts on boards most do not.

If you wish to keep 2 cars insured you are likely to need 2 separate insurance policies.

I have deliberately used may/likely above as Insurance companies will look on each case on its merits.

So to get a definitive answer you will have to contact the insurance companies.

Ultimately which car(s) you insure will be up to you, based on what the Insurance companies quote you.

Advertisement